ADVERTISEMENT

WALTERS BLAMES YOU

BoilerAlumni12

True Freshman
Sep 15, 2013
Ryan Walters said that Purdue might be “dead last” in the Big Ten when it comes to NIL.

Wait a second. He said just 9 months ago we were competitive and we just came off an 8 win season. He makes millions to win 2 games.

But he expects z_one to donate his disability so coach can get recruits. Ignore the fact walters would still suck with 5 star players.

I watch his show and enjoy it. It's interesting that when Walters makes a true statement on his radio show how immediately people twist what he said such as the Michigan information. Now, some one (the OP) about last night's comments about NIL. He simply stated that Purdue was last or near last in the Big10 for NIL money. NIL money doesn't come from the school but its supporters whether individuals or companies. He doesn't blame me or you for not contributing, but realizes that to have a NIL pot, there has to be contributions.

Also he was asked about the refereeing during games and the ball spots. He is concerned and would have liked to comment, but declined.

Last edited:
Why the contradiction? When he started we were extremely competitive. When we suck its all of a sudden an anchor to his coaching.

He may be "speaking the truth" but what has he done to correct it. Certainly not the finger pointing or the product on the field.

PS if we are dead last its due to his incompetence people vote with their wallet.

What if he thought our NIL pot was good enough because it was similar to Illinois but found out the pots at other schools are bigger over the last few months?

What if some people just look for something the coach says that can be twisted to make him look bad?

What if he thought our NIL pot was good enough because it was similar to Illinois but found out the pots at other schools are bigger over the last few months?

What if some people just look for something the coach says that can be twisted to make him look bad?
He looks bad on his own. We are not dead last but we will never be 1st. He either can make it an excuse or do what Brohm did and win.

I’d be curious to know which program puts together the bigger “pot” ? Basketball or football?

Reactions: pboiler18
I dont know gents. Like walters or not, he seems to be a straight shooter.
That’s fine and fair…but at this point he’s making excuses. Look, I’m near the bottom because our NIL is too!

Give folks a reason to give and they will. Give them excuses and they’ll start to stay home.

Even in Brohm down years we still put butts in seats. That’s because we were in most games and played an exciting brand of football on offense that gave us a chance to compete with the big boys in conference and beat teams with equal or lesser talent.

If you wanted me to write the blueprint of how to be successful at Purdue it would start with doing the opposite of everything Walters and staff have shown on the field here over 9 games!

It appears as if coach Walters didn’t do much research before accepting the position. Historically purdue has always been close to the bottom of nil donations and donations to the athletic department! The typical Purdue grad is an engineer not a used car salesman! And alumni like myself give to cancer research and academic programs not athletics. Where was Mr. Walters when this discussion first took place?

I believe it was made clear Purdue alumni are not very generous or stupid. We are thrifty with our resources! Unlike some, we don’t have a product to sell that needs an athlete to market that product!

What is odd is that the athletes all know how low the Purdue NIL is. Why doesn’t the coach?

Purdue alumni also don’t very much to political groups or politicians either. Just ask Pence!

I’m sorry coach. Even if your team is successful, my money is still going to cancer research.

Shocker some of us have expectations. I do in all aspects of my life. You should try it.

I expected struggles for a first time head coach, I wasn't sold on Graham Harrel as the OC, and I wasn't sold on the talent offensively.

I also have expectations that you will act like a 7 year old girl on the internet. So seems like my expectations are all being met.

Not last place or being broke. So far that model has worked out very well for me.
Wow, those are really specific goals. LOL Shoot your mouth off and then this is what you post? LAME. So what do you want to see? You are the one doing all of the talking and complaining. Let's hear your expectations. What should we be shooting for and what should we be satisfied with?

Reactions: drewjin
Wow, those are really specific goals. LOL Shoot your mouth off and then this is what you post? LAME. So what do you want to see? You are the one doing all of the talking and complaining. Let's hear your expectations. What should we be shooting for and what should we be satisfied with?
Listen if you think paying 5 million for a loser that can win 2 games a year go back to On3 and suck one another off. I'm sure I'll find your username there. If you can afford the $1 a month.

You defend a crap product. Good for you

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18 and z_one
Listen if you think paying 5 million for a loser that can win 2 games a year go back to On3 and suck one another off. I'm sure I'll find your username there. If you can afford the $1 a month.

You defend a crap product. Good for you
C'mon loudmouth, what's your answer? All you spout is BS. What are your goals? You claim to have "standards". What are they? Let's hear your ideas and suggestions. Inquiring minds want to know. Obviously you have none. Just another big mouth with nothing but bile. I knew you weren't a Purdue fan. You are nothing but a joke.

Shocker some of us have expectations. I do in all aspects of my life. You should try it.
We all have expectations mine are realistic and yours is based on fantasy. He is a first year coach at Purdue changing both offensive and defensive schemes. The talent that was left except for a few was bleak at best. You have to ask does the talent match his systems and the answer is no. Our team as a whole is very slow in speed and are learning new schemes. I did not expect a miracle this year as you. I was hopeful yet realistic. Your anger started before the season and has festered throughout the season. Harrell is the only coach that has made no adjustments to improve the team. All others appear to have improved. Harrell has another year on his contract and if he has not shown improvement should be replaced. Recruiting appears to be a big improvement over Brohm’s last two seasons. Give it time and stop bitching. I look forward to your comments about Painter after his first loss. You undoubtedly will want to fire him as well. 🤣

I don’t know about everyone else but my expectations this year was a bowl game. We just came of back to back years of 9 and 8 win seasons. I thought the schedule was tougher but with the ineptitude of the West snd really Big Ten as a whole (outside if Ohio St, Mich, and Penn St) has lead me to believe we had at least 10 games that could have been winnable. Even with a first year head coach 6 wins should have been the goal.

My expectations long term is to build a program over time to at least occasionally challenge for a Big Ten title.

Even if you think our talent is bleak (I sure as hell don’t), nobody with a brain would argue our talent is significantly worse than Northwestern, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota or others in our conference who all have a chance still to be in bowl games.

We have two total wins. No matter how anyone feels about how Brohm left this program, everyone should agree looking back that we absolutely should have at least 4 or 5 wins right now with better coaching.

I don’t know about everyone else but my expectations this year was a bowl game. We just came of back to back years of 9 and 8 win seasons. I thought the schedule was tougher but with the ineptitude of the West snd really Big Ten as a whole (outside if Ohio St, Mich, and Penn St) has lead me to believe we had at least 10 games that could have been winnable. Even with a first year head coach 6 wins should have been the goal.

My expectations long term is to build a program over time to at least occasionally challenge for a Big Ten title.

Even if you think our talent is bleak (I sure as hell don’t), nobody with a brain would argue our talent is significantly worse than Northwestern, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota or others in our conference who all have a chance still to be in bowl games.

We have two total wins. No matter how anyone feels about how Brohm left this program, everyone should agree looking back that we absolutely should have at least 4 or 5 wins right now with better coaching.
My expectations is to build a program over time and to challenge for the Big Ten Title occasionally as well. How does firing a first year coach accomplish that ? He hasn’t had a full year of recruits play for him yet and you want to fire him. You sound like a IU fan in basketball, hire, fire rinse and repeat. Look how well that’s worked for them and where they are now. Any new head coach deserves at least three years to show what his potential and what talent he can bring in. After that then we can talk about replacing him. I question more, does he have the correct offensive coordinator. If you don’t have the right tools in the toolbox you get the tool you need and don’t throw out the toolbox.

We are not going to compete in either football or basketball in the NIL wars.

If people are expecting us to compete with Ohio State, Alabamas of the world with NIL, then you are going to be disappointed.

My expectations is to build a program over time and to challenge for the Big Ten Title occasionally as well. How does firing a first year coach accomplish that ? He hasn’t had a full year of recruits play for him yet and you want to fire him. You sound like a IU fan in basketball, hire, fire rinse and repeat. Look how well that’s worked for them and where they are now. Any new head coach deserves at least three years to show what his potential and what talent he can bring in. After that then we can talk about replacing him. I question more, does he have the correct offensive coordinator. If you don’t have the right tools in the toolbox you get the tool you need and don’t throw out the toolbox.
Completely agree with you. We will not and shouldn’t fire a first time head coach after a year. I do however consider this year as underachieving even if we win the last 3 games. But hopefully Walters grows into the position. He has recruited well and there are improvements on defense. Offense as you said is the huge question mark. They seem to get worse every week.

Reactions: z_one and Kocher101
While I agree with a lot of your sentiments, and had hopes of a better season than this, our recruiting did not keep pace in Brohm's last 3 years with a composite average of just under 58. For example, Northwestern's 2023 class was ranked 45th, ours was ranked 69th before we lost 7 commits when Brohm left. Illinois 2023 class was ranked 38th, Minnesota 33rd, Maryland 39th. So Brohm wasn't exactly burning up the recruiting trails. 2019 was Brohm's best recruiting year with a stellar 25th. However as Boiler Upload has stated only 4 from that class remain on the team. As a comparison, the 2023 class that Brohm inherited at UL was ranked either 15th or 17th depending on which service you check.

Last edited:
We all have expectations mine are realistic and yours is based on fantasy. He is a first year coach at Purdue changing both offensive and defensive schemes. The talent that was left except for a few was bleak at best. You have to ask does the talent match his systems and the answer is no. Our team as a whole is very slow in speed and are learning new schemes. I did not expect a miracle this year as you. I was hopeful yet realistic. Your anger started before the season and has festered throughout the season. Harrell is the only coach that has made no adjustments to improve the team. All others appear to have improved. Harrell has another year on his contract and if he has not shown improvement should be replaced. Recruiting appears to be a big improvement over Brohm’s last two seasons. Give it time and stop bitching. I look forward to your comments about Painter after his first loss. You undoubtedly will want to fire him as well. 🤣
Your cool with wasting 3-4 years got it.

Purdue classes 23-58th, 22-47, 21 - 74th, 20 - 34. 4 yr average 53rd

Illinois classes 23 - 54th, 22 - 63rd, 21 - 69th, 20 - 67th. 4 year average 63rd.

Not going to waste time doing every team in the Big Ten but glancing at 4 year averages Minnesota looks mid 40s, Maryland mid 30s, Indiana same neighborhood as us, Northwestern worse than us.

I am standing by what I said. We have enough talent to be a middle of the pack Big Ten team with an average coach. A good coach could have 7-9 wins this season.

I am done arguing the talent issue. Take out the top 3-4 teams in the Big and most othet teams are similar over a 4 year stretch. This is not the Hazell years where he had 4 recruiting classes in the 60s and higher and ranked last or next to last every year in the Big class rankings (dead last 3 of his 4 years).

While I agree with a lot of your sentiments, and had hopes of a better season than this, our recruiting did not keep pace in Brohm's last 3 years with a composite average of just under 58. For example, Northwestern's 2023 class was ranked 45th, ours was ranked 69th before we lost 7 commits when Brohm left. Illinois 2023 class was ranked 38th, Minnesota 33rd, Maryland 39th. So Brohm wasn't exactly burning up the recruiting trails. 2019 was Brohm's best recruiting year with a stellar 25th. However as Boiler Upload has stated only 4 from that class remain on the team. As a comparison, the 2023 class that Brohm inherited at UL was ranked either 15th or 17th depending on which service you check.
Continuing to blame the old coach for the current one not being able to beat teams with equal or lesser talent. Got it!

If you didn’t have your head up your ass or weren’t so worried about Brohm…you’d have clear eyes to see this coach, Staff and scheme are a joke.

I didn’t expect us to beat OSU or Michigan this year…but we aren’t even competitive vs average teams..and teams we have more talent than. Staring down 2 wins here. 3 at best. And IUs gunna eat our lunch and take the bucket with a lame duck coach. Pitiful

Continuing to blame the old coach for the current one not being able to beat teams with equal or lesser talent. Got it!

If you didn’t have your head up your ass or weren’t so worried about Brohm…you’d have clear eyes to see this coach, Staff and scheme are a joke.

I didn’t expect us to beat OSU or Michigan this year…but we aren’t even competitive vs average teams..and teams we have more talent than. Staring down 2 wins here. 3 at best. And IUs gunna eat our lunch and take the bucket with a lame duck coach. Pitiful
Not at all. The facts are the facts dumbass. Walters has to stand on his own. What is wrong with stating the truth? Just because you worship Brohm doesn't mean the rest of us have to remember him with stars in our eyes. Face the facts. You want to hate Walters? Fine. You have shown that quite clearly. Why in the hell are you attacking me for posting the truth? Dumbass.

Last edited:

Illinois classes 23 - 54th, 22 - 63rd, 21 - 69th, 20 - 67th. 4 year average 63rd.

Not going to waste time doing every team in the Big Ten but glancing at 4 year averages Minnesota looks mid 40s, Maryland mid 30s, Indiana same neighborhood as us, Northwestern worse than us.

I am standing by what I said. We have enough talent to be a middle of the pack Big Ten team with an average coach. A good coach could have 7-9 wins this season.

I am done arguing the talent issue. Take out the top 3-4 teams in the Big and most othet teams are similar over a 4 year stretch. This is not the Hazell years where he had 4 recruiting classes in the 60s and higher and ranked last or next to last every year in the Big class rankings (dead last 3 of his 4 years).
The main difference to me is that we had no starting quarterback. Other than that I don't disagree with your analysis and I'm not satisfied with the results to this point.

The main difference to me is that we had no starting quarterback. Other than that I don't disagree with your analysis and I'm not satisfied with the results to this point.
Qb for sure is different. But lets not discount the fact that Walters also had the ability to hand pick among 100s of qbs in the portal and chose one that was much more highly ranked than either Blough or O’Connell. I am not blaming Walters alone on missing on Card. But one of the main reasons we are as bad as we are is because Card is not as good as anyone expected him to be and some of that blame has to be on Walters and staff.

But like I have said before. Walters is gonna get 3 years and has a chance to prove himself and I hope he does.

Reactions: drewjin and z_one

Illinois’ NIL is very good.

Ryan Walters said that Purdue might be “dead last” in the Big Ten when it comes to NIL.

Wait a second. He said just 9 months ago we were competitive and we just came off an 8 win season. He makes millions to win 2 games.

But he expects z_one to donate his disability so coach can get recruits. Ignore the fact walters would still suck with 5 star players.
Hazell 2.0

in regards to the 20 class who had 21 commits w/ a 31 rating in it only 7 of them are on the roster

Reactions: drewjin and z_one
Walters can blame me; Painter can, too.

I've never contributed a dime to NIL and can't foresee the circumstance under which I ever will.

It's just nor a priority for me.

So we should shoot for one class ranked within the top 45 every four years? Sounds like a plan for success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT