ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball earns a No. 3 seed in the NCAAs

Analyzing the draw it appears Purdue was the overall #11 seed, with Wisconsin the 3rd overall seed. Seeding tracked very closely to the RPI as Dave said it would, with Florida jumping Utah St as the final first round host site based on the latest RPI that I could find. MOST major conferences have a complaint: 3 of the top 4 SEC teams are in Nebraska’s region; ALL 3 of the top seeded Big East teams are in the same region with Pittsburgh; 2 of the top 3 seeded Big10 teams are together in Wisconsin’s region. From a conference perspective there were two seeding winners: the PAC12 has 3 top seeded teams with all 3 in different regions; the Big12 has 2 top seeded teams, both in different regions.

Let’s play well next weekend to get to the sweet 16, then hope we catch fire to surprise what will like be Oregon followed by Wisconsin.

BoilerUp!!!

Reactions: DocRon and DrEss
It would be interesting to hear the selection committee rationale for not tweaking a few of the seeds to separate Purdue from Wisconsin, as well as the Big East and SEC teams. But I’m unaware of any questioning that attempts to hold the committee accountable.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
I made a few mistakes in my analysis above, overlooking conference realignments over the past years. The major mistake was Pitt and LOU both being in the ACC, not the Big East. Brain fart.

But the major point remains, as both of the ACC top 16 seeds landed in the same region.

There is not a single conference with teams spread across all 4 regions. Maybe by design?

The PAC12 won the bracket lottery, with 5 teams total, 3 top 16 seeds in 3 different regions, and 2 more top 32 seeded teams in the same 3 regions. The PAC12 completely avoided the NEB region.

If I were an SEC fan I would be really miffed. Half of their 8 teams are in the NEB region, 3 top 16 seeds, along with a top 32 seed. Three other SEC teams are in the STAN region, with Auburn as a top 32 seed in the PITT region.

My point is other than the PAC12, fans from all major conferences looking to see several conference teams make deep tournament runs are disappointed in the tournament seeding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT