ADVERTISEMENT

Vermont (13) v. Purdue (4) Game Thread (NCAA Tournament Midwest)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Well Boiler fans, here we are again for a NCAA Tournament first-round game.....it's March Madness time, 2017 version. Purdue, as the 4-seed in the Midwest bracket takes on the Vermont Catamounts, as the 13-seed in an opening round game in Milwaukee's Bradley Center. Game coverage on television truTV (with Carter Blackburn and former Duke stand-out Mike Gminski calling the action) and online at CBSsports.com. Should be a good crowd for the first evening of the tournament.

Vermont enters the NCAA Tournament owners of the nation’s longest winning streak at 21 games. The Catamounts sport an efficient offensive attack, averaging 73.6 points and shooting 49.6 percent. Anthony Lamb, a 6-6 freshman, leads Vermont in scoring (12.6) and rebounding (5.4), while Payton Henson (6-8, 215) averages 11.4 points. Junior point guard Trae Bell-Haynes was the America East Player of the Year after averaging 11.1 points and 3.8 assists. This team lacks size but could be dangerous if it gets hot from the perimeter according to scouting reports.

The Boilers handled Vermont last year in Mackey Arena relatively easily, but I expect a more spirited and competitive contest. The Boilers need to take control of the glass, and play efficiently on the offensive end. I expect the Edwards Boys will be looking for their moments to attack. Lack of good perimeter shooting has plagued the Boilers the last two trips to the NCAA Tournament, but this is the best perimeter shooting team CMP has had in a while. Although the 3-pt shooting has trailed off a little toward the end of the season, I expect to see a little better performance this evening on that front. If Purdue plays a focused game and the team can keep relaxed, I think the Boilers would be too much for the Catamounts and move on to the second round for the first time since 2012.

I'll also be interested to see what the Boilers can do in transition......both offense and defense. IF they advance, that is going to be more crucial against the higher-seeded teams.

From Hammer & Rails:

"There is a heavy Indiana flavor on the Vermont roster. Ernie Duncan and Everette Duncan are brothers that played at Evansville Harrison and led them to a 22-2 record a few years ago. Dre Wills played at Ben Davis in Indianapolis before taking a prep school year. He was the America East Defensive Player of the Year this year. Then there is, of course, Josh Speidel from Columbus North. Speidel suffered a severe brain injury in a car accident his senior year of high school after he had accepted his scholarship to play at Vermont. The Catamounts honored his scholarship, and he was honored at Purdue last season when they played at Mackey Arena. He got a similar ovation at Butler earlier this season. He still practices and travels with the team and is working hard to hopefully play again some day."

From Center, Isaac Haas:

"Our team's purpose is to get past the first game -- there you go." After that, we'll get past the second game, and after that we'll get past the Sweet 16. It's a matter of taking it game-by-game."

CMP had a similar view:

"For us to be able to get a 4, and you look at some of those 5 seeds, there's a couple of 5's that had unbelievable seasons." We feel that's a definite reward for winning our conference by two games."

Enjoy the game......this is what it's all about.

Boiler up, my friends.

0ef3b29be4aa0725f0ab597a00daf862.jpg

1056919.jpg

Actually, he says not for sale but might consider renting me out for the right price....Nice, Dear...real nice :eek::eek::eek:. Guess that comes with 30 years of wedded bliss....lol! Boiler Up!
I hear that. My Brenda and I are of 31 years. My daughters' boyfriends think it's funny how we argue and then 10 minutes later, we can't remember what it was about.

Me too., Also, I think it's a good time for Cline to get hot. If they collapse inside, we will be open outside. Need to hit.

I feel like PU is due for a better game.........been a bit off lately. Dakota had a game to forget last game...........Biggie didn't score in the second half of same game........missed FTs................time to BTFU!!!!

Ok, serious situation: I'm on vacation in the BVIs (Scrub island). This place is killer.
Please post detailed updates and often as I won't get the game here and we have dinner with friends at 7:30.
Please and thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT