ADVERTISEMENT

VA Scandal + Solution

db

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Just amazing and sickening to read what went on in Phoenix. Hope the leaders there pay the appropriate price.

I have little knowledge of how widespread the problems were in the VA system or for how long. I've read the accusations that this political party or that paid too little attention or cut their funding. Not interested in that pissing contest.

What struck me was a comment in one of the threads that said "why not just abolish the VA and give the veterans free health care?"

Well, why not? Obamacare is a mechanism through which a lot of people get healthcare capped at 9.5% of income, plus their deductibles. How hard would it be for the government to pick up the 9.5% and the deductibles, for veterans?

In so doing we would eliminate one large and apparently very inefficient government bureaucracy. I expect money would be saved overall. It's a win-win.

Anyone disagree with doing away with the VA?

So you are saying that government run healthcare is a failure and private business could do it better?

Just amazing.....that you can't make the connection between a bureaucracy run by the federal government and the terrible results it produces. And you want the federal government, via Obamacare, to still be involved? Ugh.

Step 1: Eliminate Obamacare

Step 2: Fair Tax (the elimination of income taxation)

Step 3: Vouchers.

Put the money in the hands of the veterans. Let them shop around. Whatever they don't spend they can keep (tax free since there's no income tax).

Its that simple. The free market is the best system around for delivering customer service. Not Obamacare.

Man you are truly Pavlovian. You see the word Obamacare and you have to rant about unrelated stuff.

First: Would you abolish the VA, or not? I thought it was a good suggestion. What do you think?

Second: Obamacare does not shift all the healthcare redtape from the private sector to the government. It's not a single payer system (yet). So that particular rant is misplaced.

Third: Fair tax, flat rate - yes, I'm in favor. Eliminate income taxation - yes, I'm in favor. Combine those two ideas -- it means the fair tax would be something like 1.0% of net worth, per year. For everyone. Does that work for you?

Fourth: Vouchers. I think that is what I was suggesting: put the money in the hands of the veterans and let them shop. Obamacare was just one suggested mechanism that is conveniently at hand.

Here, I'll help you with your likely response to my second attempt at reasoned discourse:

"It's all Obama's fault. Stop blaming whitey for everything. All government is bad."

The VA is an outdated concept. How do you fix it? Not sure. I don't agree with giving vets free health care. I don't see why there can't be some kind of "coverage" at a supremely discounted rate which allows vets to obtain health care on their own.

In general, I'd be in favor of doing away with the VA, and at the LEAST seriously revising what gets paid as "disability" upon separation. The entire system is being abused by desk jockeys and war time veterans alike. I'm sorry, but my buddy who says he has sleep apnea should not be given a permanent stipend via the VA, yet he will get one. He was obese because he drank 900 calories worth of beer every night for a long time, not because of the Navy.

At the least, the system for disability and getting vets health care needs to be seriously revised and pared down. I say that understanding that under the current system I'll be eligible for disability pay for my hip, ankle, and hearing... none of which I actually need to be compensated for.

Yes, I'd abolish the VA. Thought that was clear given my response.

Taxing somebody's wealth is immoral. How is that different from stealing?

The vouchers have to have some provision to encourage soldiers to avoid unnecessary spending. Hence, they should be able to keep what they don't spend. This introduces market pressure on both sides.

It's all Obama's fault.

You're making progress.

Stop blaming whitey for everything.

Even more!

All government is bad

Except when it oppresses minorities, rapes the earth, wars on women, and colonializes non-Western countries.

Just out of curiosity....are you a vet yourself? I am not.

However, if paying for future healthcare costs, including and especially so for those with post traumatic stress issues, for the balance of their lives, in return for them pledging, and sometimes actually giving, their lives on my and my family's behalf, then that is one helluva bargain for me.

No, I am NOT accusing you of being unappreciative or unpatriotic.

I am active duty. Wounded warriors? Yes. Free health care for life. All veterans receiving some disability or health care benefit outside of, say TriCare for career vets? No.

This post was edited on 6/30 10:41 PM by gr8indoorsman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT