ADVERTISEMENT

UConn’s guards are better- so far…

Look, I have nothing against Loyer, but adding 5 lbs to that body is going to make zero difference in what we are talking about. Now that doesn't mean he can't be a meaningful contributor. But for those thinking he's going to look much different physically than he does right now, or be much stronger than he is, I think they are going to be disappointed. I just don't think he has that body type.

I'm agreeing with you, body-type wise. I don't think he can do much more than 5 pounds. But he can still get stronger, even without adding mass.

I'm agreeing with you, body-type wise. I don't think he can do much more than 5 pounds. But he can still get stronger, even without adding mass.
Yes, agreed he can get stronger. But by what multiple? He is just a smaller built guy that is never going to be described as strong. I'll eat all the crow I can if he shows up in November and we all are amazed at how much stronger he plays. I just don't think that is ever going to be him. Again, this isn't saying he can't contribute, he obviously can and has.

He sure didn't change his body from 19 to 20, not really sure how much different 20 to 21 will be. He just doesn't have that body type. We have guys coming in as freshman that have better D1 bodies right now than he does. Glad to be wrontg on this one, but I'll be surprised if he looks much different in November than he does right now.
I'm not sure how that indicates he can't, just that he didn't. I'm not saying he can be built like Lance Jones by next season but at that age it would very unusual if he couldn't put on 10 to 15 pounds of muscle with the training and nutritional resources at his disposal if he dedicated himself to doing so. You can disagree and you may be right but it would be unusual.

A lot of people will take this as criticism of Fletch and it's not meant to be, but a lot of shooters are hesitant to put on muscle for fear that it will impact their shot. He needs to decide that the #1 thing he can do to improve his game is to add functional weight and strength.

Yes, agreed he can get stronger. But by what multiple? He is just a smaller built guy that is never going to be described as strong. I'll eat all the crow I can if he shows up in November and we all are amazed at how much stronger he plays. I just don't think that is ever going to be him. Again, this isn't saying he can't contribute, he obviously can and has.
I promise I'll let it drop but you may be right in that he doesn't look materially different next fall, that doesn't mean that he is unable to gain significant muscle and strength, just that he didn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT