ADVERTISEMENT

UCON and ND- yuck

GemstateBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2006
This game was hard to get excited about. I watched some but I turned the station frequently. If it wasn't for both teams being undefeated I think there would have been really low interest. I think the media and the coaches tried to play up on some flames with how the coaches don't like each other. Really though when you think of UCON, there are a lot of coaches and fans that don't like Geno, so big deal. Personally, I still think that having such a gap between the upper and second level teams is going to whomp on this sport if the pattern keeps up. I see the sport currently on a balancing beam and marginal fans could drop off significantly if this continues, even just one more year. Just my take.

Go Boilers!

I enjoyed watching ND getting a real beat-down. :) It was kind of like watching UConn run a drill. You didn't have to get excited or jump around or bite your nails or anything--could go to the bathroom and know you weren't going to miss "the turning point." LOL! Stephanie Dolson is something else, and I liked watching her. Yeah, it's going to be UConn and the rest the way it used to be Tennessee and the rest (or more so)---and probably not good for the sport as a whole, but hey---try and tell those top players that they would have more fun going to a program that they could help get up to the next level. They want those rings, even if it means they're just another cog in the machine. I have nothing against Geno.. Great coach and seems to be a class act when interviewed. And now---it's wait for next season and our new recruits and getting Boiler Fever back. :D

Probably will be the same two teams next year, UCONN for sure, women's basketball is tough for me to get into mainly because of the same teams winning every year!

I would not bet against UConn being there again next year, but I think it will be harder for ND. There are other teams who could make it next time--guess we'll have to wait and see. Go BOILERS! :D
As for not being able to get into women's basketball (because of the same teams winning every year), I would suggest watching season games and conference tourneys only, and not turning the TV on when it's the Final Four--at least not so long at Geno is at UConn and they continue to get the lion's share of the top players. But there are always surprises during the season, during conference tourneys, etc. I've been known to watch games when I'm not even sure who the heck those teams are, like when it's say, the MVC tournament--when I have to say to my family, "It's some marroon team against a blue and white team. Right now the blue and white guys are ahead." (I always say guys even when it's wbb.) ;)

I watch Purdue every chance I can get, always check the scores. It sucks that a few teams pretty much dominate the recruiting scene every year, factor that in with the ladies staying all 4 years and you pretty much have a handful of teams 4-5 each year that can win a title, this year it was pretty much a forgone conclusion UCONN would win it. I like what the ladies are doing though, it's just too bad the chances of competing for a national title are virtually slim to none at this point.

I'm with you, Luv. Loved the ND beatdown. Unlike some of you on this board, I actually like Geno and think he runs a clean program even though he does end up with the lion's share of the talent year in and year out. One of my best friends ran basketball camps for years here in California and had such coaches as John Wooden, Gene Keady, Jim Boeheim, and most of the other top coaches, including Geno participate. He likes Geno very much, but has a great dislike for John Calipari (who, BTW, cancelled on him at the last minute.)

As far as the Purdue women, I see an uptick over the next few years, but it's going to be difficult to reach the level of the Huskies. Perhaps with some luck, they'll reach that second tier, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT