ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers 2018

Just saw on Verbal Commits that Eden Ewing is walking on at Texas Southern.

Hope things work out for him. Not sure he was ready for the pressures of a big program like Purdue

Just saw on Verbal Commits that Eden Ewing is walking on at Texas Southern.

Hope things work out for him. Not sure he was ready for the pressures of a big program like Purdue

Good for him. I'll be pulling for him.

On a related note, he'll likely be in a Final Four soon. After all, he'll be coached by former IU coach Mike Davis, and we've learned what a great coach Mike is because Mike has been to the Final Four. See how that works? (TIC)

On a related note, he'll likely be in a Final Four soon. After all, he'll be coached by former IU coach Mike Davis, and we've learned what a great coach Mike is because Mike has been to the Final Four. See how that works? (TIC)
686bf45f96ce06af9dd5324453868273.jpg

Well, he's certainly not going to learn anything about the game playing for Davis.

I think DM is really good. I think he's a smart player, good shooter, good passer, but just an average athlete who struggles against similar sized guys who are better athletes.

But, I'll ask again. Who has the higher BB IQ? DM or Carsen?
Bone, if you're asking me I'd say DM has the higher BB IQ. Carsen can survive on his athleticism.

Hope Ewing does well down there. Will have to try and catch some TS games to see what he can do, should be a decent team again.

Bone, if you're asking me I'd say DM has the higher BB IQ. Carsen can survive on his athleticism.

So, what’s more important, a really good/great athlete or a really high BBIQ and below average athlete?
I think you can win in the tourney with DM starting, but not with both PJ and DM as you’re just giving up too much athleticism.

Dude, it really wasn't a serious question in search of a serious answer.

It was bone being a bone.

Actually it was a serious question. See my reply.
My contention being, I’ll take the better athlete over the BBIQ every time.

So, what’s more important, a really good/great athlete or a really high BBIQ and below average athlete?
I think you can win in the tourney with DM starting, but not with both PJ and DM as you’re just giving up too much athleticism.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

You're entitled to your opinion. You've also demonstrated multiple times the value of your opinion.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Actually it was a serious question. See my reply.
My contention being, I’ll take the better athlete over the BBIQ every time.

So you are taking an athletic guy that can't shoot, won't defend, won't pass the ball, and turnes the ball over regularly over somebody that is of average athletic ability, shoots the ball very well, defends very well, doesn't turn the ball over, and passes very well?

You can't just single out one variable that isn't even adequately defined and then make a ridiculous blanket statement. Well you can, but you won't be taken seriously.

So back on topic of transfer - Northwestern is losing a couple this year. Rapolas Ivanauskas is one that just announced he is leaving. Unfortunate story of a big man with foot/leg issues and never really played. I know Purdue took a look.

So back on topic of transfer - Northwestern is losing a couple this year. Rapolas Ivanauskas is one that just announced he is leaving. Unfortunate story of a big man with foot/leg issues and never really played. I know Purdue took a look.

I think Purdue should limit itself to graduate transfers that will only be there for one year. And the biggest position of need is probably a PG at this point. Just my thoughts, and I would be happy to hear if there are any grad transfer PGs that stand out?

I don't think I have seen a player on the market that would be worth having a player sit out the '18 season and eat a scholarship spot from the '19 class. A lot of very good players are looking at Purdue in that '19 class, so it would need to be an exceptional transfer to sway my opinion.

I think Purdue should limit itself to graduate transfers that will only be there for one year. And the biggest position of need is probably a PG at this point. Just my thoughts, and I would be happy to hear if there are any grad transfer PGs that stand out?

I don't think I have seen a player on the market that would be worth having a player sit out the '18 season and eat a scholarship spot from the '19 class. A lot of very good players are looking at Purdue in that '19 class, so it would need to be an exceptional transfer to sway my opinion.
Totally agree on only going for one year immediately eligible transfers. I think Evan was an exception because he helps fill a gap/need we currently have not only on the position side but also on a senior/leadership side.

For PG's that fit this criteria - you are looking at 28 available. I don't know a lot about Larry Austin from Vandy but he seems like an interesting fit for me.

Reactions: chaspark

I would take Ryan Taylor as a wing. He gets buckets, and I think we will need that next year.

Joseph Chartouny grad transfer from Fordham 6'3 averaged 12.2 points 5.6 rebounds and 4.6 assist . Expected to visit Purdue maybe as soon as this week .
--- third in the NCAA in steals (3.24/game) (2016-17)
--- Named to the 2017 Atlantic 10 All-Academic Team
--- Joseph Chartouny Named to 2018 Atlantic 10 All-Defensive Team

--- He also leads the NCAA with 93 steals (3.32/game) (2017-18)
What happened to Chartouny?

Here's his offer list:
Dartmouth
Bucknell
DePaul
Iowa
Iowa State
Northwestern
Princeton
Yale
No mention of PSU (according to ESPN) and just because he talked to a Michigan coach one time, doesn't mean Michigan was recruiting him.
Like I said, he had offers from other programs in the B10 that love below the rim types (Iowa/NU), a crap Big East program (DePaul) a decent B12 team (ISU) and then a bunch of brain schools.
All I'm saying is that we constantly complain about our lack of athleticism and how we get beat by more athletic teams in the tourney. Then Painter goes out and gives a scholly to that exact type of player.
I predict Travis Carroll 2.0
Little late to the thread, but Michigan did more than talk to EB once. Head coach was at HS game vs Stevenson, double OT when Evan had 43 and 20 but lost to Jalen Brunsons team (I was there). He took official recruiting trip to Michigan and also unofficial. Michigan coaches were at the high school on multiple occasions. Michigan recruited him actively for 2 yrs before deciding on a taller PF (who transferred after 1 season).

Reactions: Schnelk
Ok, I’ll ask again: who had the highest IQ on the PU team?

I don't know about the current squad....but all-time, I'd guess that Craig Riley would have to be high in the running. If he hadn't have been 6'9", I bet he could've gotten into to MIT with a full-ride academic scholarship.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I don't know about the current squad....but all-time, I'd guess that Craig Riley would have to be high in the running. If he hadn't have been 6'9", I bet he could've gotten into to MIT with a full-ride academic scholarship.
Keifer was pretty smart, and I think Keith Edmundson was another who had a brainiac IQ. Not dissing Riley but wasn't he Civil E, while Keifer was Chem E?

Keifer was pretty smart, and I think Keith Edmundson was another who had a brainiac IQ. Not dissing Riley but wasn't he Civil E, while Keifer was Chem E?

Well, that could be.

But I was an acquaintance of Craig’s and he was a really, really intelligent guy...who also happened to be a high D1 basketball player.

Well, that could be.

But I was an acquaintance of Craig’s and he was a really, really intelligent guy...who also happened to be a high D1 basketball player.
I'm sure he was intelligent. I think he also ran the high hurdles in HS so he was a better athlete than I think he was ever credited. I know Matt Waddell was pretty smart playing high D1 ball and also going thru the Pharmacy curriculum. I was simply offering Keifer as another example. He had some incredible GPA while being a Chem E major.

I'm sure he was intelligent. I think he also ran the high hurdles in HS so he was a better athlete than I think he was ever credited. I know Matt Waddell was pretty smart playing high D1 ball and also going thru the Pharmacy curriculum. I was simply offering Keifer as another example. He had some incredible GPA while being a Chem E major.
He also had the best mile time on the team. On a side note, I accidentally poured a moose cup full of beer on his stereo and I thought he was actually going to kill me.

Reactions: Cleanface
Are you asking again if Jacob Lawson was more important than Dakota Mathias?

No one has mentioned this (and yes I know it's not PU BB):

"Archie Miller landed a commitment from 6-10 Saint Mary’s graduate transfer Evan Fitzner. A career 41.5-percent 3-point shooter, Fitzner will be expected to help repair an offense that shot just 32.2 percent from distance last winter.

“There’s kind of a need for an outside shooter (at Indiana),” Fitzner told IndyStar.

Fitzner fills the Hoosiers’ final open scholarship, presuming Juwan Morgan eventually withdraws from the NBA draft and returns for his senior season.

Miller is using the graduate transfer route to fill that last spot, in the right way and at the right time.

Other than inconsistent point guard play, Indiana had no bigger hole in its offense last season than 3-point shooting. The inconsistency made it a struggle to space the floor and give Morgan room to operate in the post."

No one has mentioned this (and yes I know it's not PU BB):

"Archie Miller landed a commitment from 6-10 Saint Mary’s graduate transfer Evan Fitzner. A career 41.5-percent 3-point shooter, Fitzner will be expected to help repair an offense that shot just 32.2 percent from distance last winter.

“There’s kind of a need for an outside shooter (at Indiana),” Fitzner told IndyStar.

Fitzner fills the Hoosiers’ final open scholarship, presuming Juwan Morgan eventually withdraws from the NBA draft and returns for his senior season.

Miller is using the graduate transfer route to fill that last spot, in the right way and at the right time.

Other than inconsistent point guard play, Indiana had no bigger hole in its offense last season than 3-point shooting. The inconsistency made it a struggle to space the floor and give Morgan room to operate in the post."

Didn't he average like five points on a team that played an incredibly weak schedule?

Not saying he will be bad. Big men that can shoot cause a problem for Purdue, but they have a ton of forwards. Maybe he works and maybe he doesn't. Coin flip at this point. Can't wait for the season to start and find out what Purdue can do. But first, we need that Okoro decision!

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT