ADVERTISEMENT

time to write the AD

pufan73

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2006
After the pathetic performance in the last quarter of the last game, several other people and I decided it was time to write the AD and suggest it might be time for a change in leadership.

After watching the special on the 1999 team, it was painfully clear how far our program has fallen. If anyone really wants to hear what I got as a response I will post it, but you can probably guess.

Considering the health issues Versyp has had, I think if she resigned for those reasons, it would be a graceful way out.

I've followed the program since the early 90's and traveled to the Final Fours in 1999 and 2001. I can barely stand to watch any more...

After the pathetic performance in the last quarter of the last game, several other people and I decided it was time to write the AD and suggest it might be time for a change in leadership.

After watching the special on the 1999 team, it was painfully clear how far our program has fallen. If anyone really wants to hear what I got as a response I will post it, but you can probably guess.

Considering the health issues Versyp has had, I think if she resigned for those reasons, it would be a graceful way out.

I've followed the program since the early 90's and traveled to the Final Fours in 1999 and 2001. I can barely stand to watch any more...
Goodness, that time was years ago.

Reactions: SCboiler56

I can’t believe what I read. Because of health issues she could resign gracefully?!!!! What rock did you crawl out from under? That is horrible! So what if you were at former Final Fours. I was too! And by the way, those former Final Four coaches went on to mediocre careers. Why is that? Shouldn’t they have produced more Final Four teams? They’ve had 20 years to do so. Oh, and tell me what other Big Ten team has a national championship in the last 20 years? Maryland does not count. I invite you to make an appointment with Sharon Versyp and speak with about the challenges and how the sport has changed in those 20 years.

How have other programs risen up and surpassed us then? Somehow, miraculously, they have been able to navigate all of the supposed changes over the last 20 years and have found themselves ranked in the top 25. The Marquettes, the Oregons, the Mississippi States, the South Carolinas have somehow figured it out, and we continue our slide in the opposite direction. Even today with our win over Northwestern, the game was nearly unwatchable. Two turnovers in the first 30 seconds and 20 for the game. This program is never going to improve with Versyp in charge. She's incapable.

Mc Whew. If it were not for that incredible performance we would have lost to a Nw team that we beat on the road. Teams have figured out our molasses offense. Wait till the end of the shot clock and put up a bad shot or force a pass and 20 tos. If Mac hit 8 3’s we Woukd have lost. But in the reality of wbb
We are now tied for 5th. If we stay up there which is doubtful, how do you fire that coach?
Beat weak psu and ind and you have 10
League wins and 19 overall.
I too think we need new coaching blood but what is the basis of your letter if In. fact few BT teams have done much better. Even md is slumping. And although today was a cancer game
There was a huge crowd present.
State your case to Bo and see what he does but he prob knows this team will be stronger
Next year.will be interesting to see what
Transpires.

How have other programs risen up and surpassed us then? Somehow, miraculously, they have been able to navigate all of the supposed changes over the last 20 years and have found themselves ranked in the top 25. The Marquettes, the Oregons, the Mississippi States, the South Carolinas have somehow figured it out, and we continue our slide in the opposite direction. Even today with our win over Northwestern, the game was nearly unwatchable. Two turnovers in the first 30 seconds and 20 for the game. This program is never going to improve with Versyp in charge. She's incapable.
The men had 23 turnovers against Penn St. Did you stop watching?

I can’t believe what I read. Because of health issues she could resign gracefully?!!!! What rock did you crawl out from under? That is horrible! So what if you were at former Final Fours. I was too! And by the way, those former Final Four coaches went on to mediocre careers. Why is that? Shouldn’t they have produced more Final Four teams? They’ve had 20 years to do so. Oh, and tell me what other Big Ten team has a national championship in the last 20 years? Maryland does not count. I invite you to make an appointment with Sharon Versyp and speak with about the challenges and how the sport has changed in those 20 years.

Wow. Nothing like a personal attack. Very classy.

My suggestion was only to allow for a graceful exit--which she is entitled to, unlike the heave ho Dunn got. Health is much more important than basketball and she has nothing to prove.

As others have pointed out, many programs have managed the "challenges" quite well--look at Notre Dame. Mississippi State has come up in the ranks along with South Carolina, so they must have found coaches would could cope.

Four generations of my family have attended Purdue and this is my 50th year of following Purdue sports. Don't ever suggest that I anything but the best of intentions or well wishing for the athletes and coaches.

And thanks for reminding me why I rarely come on these boards. We are all supposed to be on the same side.

Reactions: Bigohh and Gesysp
13th place PSU, losers of six straight games, had no trouble with the Boilermakers tonight. Is this the improvement Bobinski spoke about last year?

13th place PSU, losers of six straight games, had no trouble with the Boilermakers tonight. Is this the improvement Bobinski spoke about last year?

Not surprising, Purdue is going no where.
If I read another “We’ll be better next year” post, I’m going to be sick.
I’m shocked there are still supporters of Versyp. She’s done nothing for years and if she stays Purdue will continue to be irrelevant.

Reactions: bappylee
Not only had 3-11 Penn State lost its last six games, it was playing without two starters, including the second leading score in the Big Ten. SV has been running the same offense every year, regardless of the abilities of the players. It appears that they have one goal----get the ball into the post. Nothing is done to allow the two excellent guards to drive(The middle is always clogged) or to get them open threes.

Reactions: Larry77
Yes one of the worst games against a weakened awful team. Yet they got it down to 4 with plenty of time and totally fell apart. This season is toast. Feel bad for the 3 good players we have. Now only question is if Bo
does anything about it.

Not surprising, Purdue is going no where.
If I read another “We’ll be better next year” post, I’m going to be sick.
I’m shocked there are still supporters of Versyp. She’s done nothing for years and if she stays Purdue will continue to be irrelevant.

here is an example of the problem

Sydney Parrish

Guard
CLASS: 2020

SCOUTS GRADE

• Fishers, INHometown
  • Hamilton Southeastern High School
  • 6-0Height
  • —Weight
  • 11Overall Rank
  • 1Position Rank

Status Undeclared
Considering UCLA Bruins, Indiana Hoosiers, Maryland Terrapins, Iowa Hawkeyes, Oregon Ducks, South Carolina Gamecocks, Tennessee Lady Vols

Sydney Parrish

Guard

SCOUTS GRADE

• Fishers, INHometown
  • 6-0Height
  • —Weight
  • 11Overall Rank
  • 1Position Rank
Status Undeclared
Considering UCLA Bruins, Indiana Hoosiers, Maryland Terrapins, Iowa Hawkeyes, Oregon Ducks, South Carolina Gamecocks, Tennessee Lady Vols

Agreed Walt. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program and Purdue is losing all the top Indiana recruits. Not even being considered is unacceptable.

Reactions: TMA62 and Bigohh

Sydney Parrish

Guard

SCOUTS GRADE

• Fishers, INHometown
  • 6-0Height
  • —Weight
  • 11Overall Rank
  • 1Position Rank
Status Undeclared

I heard a rumor that her scholarship offer along with a few other top 100 2020 recruits throughout indiana and the midwest were pulled back in the fall

I heard a rumor that her scholarship offer along with a few other top 100 2020 recruits throughout indiana and the midwest were pulled back in the fall
I am not sure I understand what you are posting here. Are you saying that Purdue withdrew a scholarship offer to the Parish girl, and apparently other recruits? Any idea why? Are we out of ships?

Yes. That is what I heard on the recruiting trail. It’s my understanding they are not out of 2020 ships

There are eleven scholarshipped players returning for next year and two scholarshipped freshman so they have two available right now and they will have four seniors next years. You are allowed 15 scholarships so we are under as we have been almost all the time under SV.

When you are getting blown out by IU by 20+ in the first half and are about to lose for the 4th consecutive time to IU...it’s time to go

In about 5 seconds you’ll start hearing about how much better we will be next year, about the two highly ranked recruits coming (when only one is highly regarded), and how we fare far worse than other programs with respect to injuries and transfers. Blah blah blah.

It’s ridiculous she’s been allowed to stay as long as she has.

Reactions: bappylee
In about 5 seconds you’ll start hearing about how much better we will be next year, about the two highly ranked recruits coming (when only one is highly regarded), and how we fare far worse than other programs with respect to injuries and transfers. Blah blah blah.

It’s ridiculous she’s been allowed to stay as long as she has.
They don’t play a lick of defense and I can’t tell what their intent is on offense. Supposedly they use all set plays so Versyp is Tom Crean

They don’t play a lick of defense and I can’t tell what their intent is on offense. Supposedly they use all set plays so Versyp is Tom Crean

Feed the post, is all I’ve seen. When your center is 4-14 from within 5 feet you might want to try something different for a few plays. And I agree, our defense is terrible despite what the announcers say.

Well they looked better in the last 4 minutes... better hustle, stickier defense, some shots fell.
small consolation. Really small.
Heard the announcers say we haven’t won in Bloomington since 2012. Goodness...

Offense is like watching paint dry to use an old but apt cliche. Playing your totally worst game of the year vs your arch rival who you used to own is a terrible way to finish. Absolutely lifeless effort. This is not an excuse but the lack of depth has worn these girls to a frazzle and I think it has a lot to do with the way they went from what looked like a legitimate shot at the top 4 in the league ( once 7-2) to a clear bottom feeder. They will surely be in the bottom 4 and probably play hapless Illinois and could lose that game. Yes they have this talent returning and maybe some depth if they do not lose some discouraged players ( I could see MCGlothiln taking her game to a team that can win?) but it hard to believe they will play much better. I have been an advocate of Versyp and resist the idea that we can just to out and hire a top coach and recruiter, but there just has to be a change. The fan base is totally turned off and a fresh face is needed. Now this program has really fallen into the doldrums. Too bad. Wonder if the AD cares enough to address what is truly happening? I guess we'll see.

How about the Cliff's notes for we who have evidently gone over our 3 articles for 3 months allotment to the J&C?

Rundown of BT women’s basketball revenues and coaching costs.

Rundown of BT women’s basketball revenues and coaching costs.
Do you think if we hired Steph the Warren Co. fans would reup for season tix like they did back when she played? Seems like there were thousands who came to Mackey from there???

Do you think if we hired Steph the Warren Co. fans would reup for season tix like they did back when she played? Seems like there were thousands who came to Mackey from there???

She is not getting hired here and better hope she doesn’t get fired by Vanderbilt.

Reactions: DocRon
She is not getting hired here and better hope she doesn’t get fired by Vanderbilt.

Destewart, just curious why you say that? Not saying we should hire her, just wondering your perspective on why you say she wouldn’t be hired here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT