ADVERTISEMENT

This is why….

Well, you do have the best post player in the country and perhaps the best player in the history of PU. Perhaps he's going with the odds?
So, how’s that philosophy worked for Painter in the tourney?

There’s a reason NBA teams don’t build their offense around a low post scorer. It’s the same reason Edey likely doesn’t last in the NBA.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Playing through the post isn’t the problem. We have one of the most dominant post players in the last few decades. The problem is that when environments get tough, and teams ratchet up the pressure, that all we do is try to feed it to Edey and hope he does something. Everyone else is terrified to run our normal offense or look to score themselves. We start to play extremely tight and that’s when we start missing shots and turning it over, because you can leave literally everyone else and just crash on Edey. I like our guards, but if they had half the confidence and mental toughness that Buie has, this game would have been completely different.
I agree completely. I have no problem with Edey being the first option, but when you make him the exclusive option you make it so much easier for a team to defend against Edey. As a result the other Purdue players become stagnant and that leads to turnovers. Every Purdue player on the court has to be a threat and when teams recognize that all we are doing is trying to force the ball to Edey that's the only player you have to guard..

The problem is it makes us very predictable. Clamp down on Edey, make the entry passes hard as possible and force someone else to make a shot or beat someone off the dribble.
It's the same formula.

I get making Edey option 1A but until there's a second player who can consistently get clutch points, that's a lot of pressure on one mode of attack.
100%. Taking away the low post is a simple defense. Foul, hack, hold, make the reds call it. Pressure the perimeter.
We’ve seen it over and over in the tourney.

I agree completely. I have no problem with Edey being the first option, but when you make him the exclusive option you make it so much easier for a team to defend against Edey. As a result the other Purdue players become stagnant and that leads to turnovers. Every Purdue player on the court has to be a threat and when teams recognize that all we are doing is trying to force the ball to Edey that's the only player you have to guard..
He just creates so many opportunities for this team and the guys need to be willing or have the ability. This isn't rocket science.... utilize your advantage.

What a ridiculous statement. Colvin will get every opportunity but the impact of him not playing in high-level high school or AAU programs is obvious.

Tough to push a lot of minutes on him in a game like this because he’s just not ready but I do agree that Matt needs to force feed him some minutes in the coming months.
You just repeated the same thing I said, Colvin needs to play to progress. Outside of Jones not one guard plays good defense- Morton , Loyer and Smith were abused as well

You just repeated the same thing I said, Colvin needs to play to progress. Outside of Jones not one guard plays good defense- Morton , Loyer and Smith were abused as well
Ridiculous, I.e based on zero factual data:
“won’t happen with Painter - he will regress and become afraid like the rest of the non Edey players”

Ridiculous, I.e based on zero factual data:
“won’t happen with Painter - he will regress and become afraid like the rest of the non Edey players”
Yeah, I disagree to a point but you have to realize they're only better because of ZE. Take him out and those guys aren't developing to become better dribble drive or pop up shooters. He provides so much for them and this team. Most dominant player in the last probably 2 decades and we need to take full advantage of it.

Yeah, I disagree to a point but you have to realize they're only better because of ZE. Take him out and those guys aren't developing to become better dribble drive or pop up shooters. He provides so much for them and this team. Most dominant player in the last probably 2 decades and we need to take full advantage of it.
His quote was saying that Colvin will regress because of Painter. That's an emotional reaction with zero basis in fact.

I agree with you that the back court has faults. Hopefully Smith and Loyer continue to improve and become more consistent, they're still at the beginning of their second year. Hopefully Jones learns that he's not helping the team by taking 7 threes, even if they're decent looks.

No need for 7 I’d say, but he needed to take the ones that were wide open down the stretch tho. Just didn’t hit those. I’d like to see him take it to the hole a little more when his shot isn’t falling. He had a great take toward the end of regulation.
He's still figuring out how to play with this team and, IMO, trying to do too much. He had a couple of nice drives, had some others where it wasn't a great choice and got himself in trouble. Had some really good looks from three and some others where the looks where I'd want Braden or Fletcher to take it but Lance is better off passing.

I'm not worried about him as long as he takes coaching. I'd rather try to reign back a player from being too aggressive than the opposite.

He's still figuring out how to play with this team and, IMO, trying to do too much. He had a couple of nice drives, had some others where it wasn't a great choice and got himself in trouble. Had some really good looks from three and some others where the looks where I'd want Braden or Fletcher to take it but Lance is better off passing.

I'm not worried about him as long as he takes coaching. I'd rather try to reign back a player from being too aggressive than the opposite.
For sure. I’d say he was even trying to do a lot cuz of being back in his hometown. It happens, hope like you said, he takes the coaching criticism ok, then should be ok. Let’s see how he reacts over the next month or so.

Reactions: northside100
It
His quote was saying that Colvin will regress because of Painter. That's an emotional reaction with zero basis in fact.

I agree with you that the back court has faults. Hopefully Smith and Loyer continue to improve and become more consistent, they're still at the beginning of their second year. Hopefully Jones learns that he's not helping the team by taking 7 threes, even if they're decent looks.
It's not too long ago fans and even some analyst were praising Purdue's depth but I'm starting to believe we may have some of the same issues we had in the backcourt as last year. I do think Jones is an upgrade over Morton/Newman in the starting lineup but we are getting nothing off the bench offensively.

I know there have been limited minutes but in the last three meaningful games the combination of Heide/Colvin/Morton have score 3 points total. That 3 points (1 basket) in a combined 67 minutes. The problem is the best scorer among the three gives us very little else and he's a liability on defense.

It

It's not too long ago fans and even some analyst were praising Purdue's depth but I'm starting to believe we may have some of the same issues we had in the backcourt as last year. I do think Jones is an upgrade over Morton/Newman in the starting lineup but we are getting nothing off the bench offensively.

I know there have been limited minutes but in the last three meaningfu= games the combination of Heide/Colvin/Morton have score 3 points total. That 3 points (1 basket) in a combined 67 minutes. The problem is the best scorer among the three gives us very little else and he's a liability on defense.
Agree that it's a real question, i.e. can Myles and Cam (and to a lesser extent Ethan) develop over the next three to four months into real contributors. Guys who can make a difference, not just guys who can play minutes. I still think that Braden and Fletch continuing to develop and Lance settling into his role is more important, but getting a boost from Cam and / or Myles would be huge.

As much as I like Ethan I was happy to see MP go with Cam in crunch time guarding BB last night after LJ fouled out. Results were mixed but he and Myles need to get experience and find productive roles.

Agree on Braden. He was 3/9 in the first half so maybe that dropped his confidence a bit. Robbie said on the broadcast he was shooting 62% off the PnR, which put him in the 97th percentile in the country. I felt at times he got too cute and didn’t make the easy pass, rather tried making an amazing pass. He was flirting with another triple double but those 6 TOs hurt bad. Hope he can clean it up and stop jump passing all the time…when is he going to stop that?? I was actually glad to see it come to bite him in crunch time when they called a charge on him for doing so. He doesn’t need to do it and I wish he’d stop. But on to Iowa and let’s see how we respond as a team going forward.
three things on O 1)he needs to hit the layups when he has them rather than kick it out hopeful for a 3...unless you really need a 3 at that time.2)you are correct IMO in that he may try too hard to make the pass so good that it creates such a good look for the receiver...and he makes a lot of those. 3) Sometimes, just make the easy play to start a chain of events...a little more PJ influence here. Most passes do NOT have to lead to an assist.

three things on O 1)he needs to hit the layups when he has them rather than kick it out hopeful for a 3...unless you really need a 3 at that time.2)you are correct IMO in that he may try too hard to make the pass so good that it creates such a good look for the receiver...and he makes a lot of those. 3) Sometimes, just make the easy play to start a chain of events...a little more PJ influence here. Most passes do NOT have to lead to an assist.
Well said TJ…on the same page with ya. Hope we can learn from this loss and move on. Fletch’s post game interview was a good mentality. A whole lot of upsets today by teams far worse than northwestern, I think we will be ok…need to see how we respond over the next few weeks.

Reactions: tjreese
I love Colvin, but he was not the answer tonight. He wasn’t ready and Heide on Buie wasn’t fair to Heide, but a good lesson to grow and get better. Who else should have guarded Buie with Lance out? The defense is not bad haha. This game just happened to be high scoring.
Heide wasn't ready either apparently.... I would rather see Colvin in the game than Heide. Colvin has much higher upside IMO.

Heide wasn't ready either apparently.... I would rather see Colvin in the game than Heide. Colvin has much higher upside IMO.
Heide was more ready than Myles. They both need the exposure, whether it be failure or excelling. Need em ready for March.

Heide was more ready than Myles. They both need the exposure, whether it be failure or excelling. Need em ready for March.
Myles is not getting exposure. That's the problem. When everyone can see that Heide isn't the answer, you have to try someone new. At least Colvin can score & is a threat. CMP is very routine & doesn't ever change. He subs the same time every game. Colvin usually doesn't come in until there are about 5 or 6 minutes left in the half & usually gets about 4-5 minutes. This game, he never got in the second half. Just baffles me that he recruits the kind of athletes we need in March, then never plays them.

Myles is not getting exposure. That's the problem. When everyone can see that Heide isn't the answer, you have to try someone new. At least Colvin can score & is a threat. CMP is very routine & doesn't ever change. He subs the same time every game. Colvin usually doesn't come in until there are about 5 or 6 minutes left in the half & usually gets about 4-5 minutes. This game, he never got in the second half. Just baffles me that he recruits the kind of athletes we need in March, then never plays them.
It’s only the 8th game in the year and that was the first conference game that I assume we were trying to win to not start 0-1 (but that didn’t happen).

Let’s see how it goes for the next month and even into January. Colvin would not have been the answer in the final minutes of OT. He tried guarding Buie first half and it was either the same or worse than Heide. Heide has a bit more length and was put in that position as Lance fouled out. Heide is a threat to score, maybe Myles can shoot the 3 a bit better, and as much as I love Myles “shooter mentality” where he lets it fly almost every time he touches it, that was not what we needed in OT on offense.

I know we are all frustrated, but be patient for a bit longer. If he isn’t getting mins at the end of January then I’ll be frustrated just like you and everyone else. It’s a long season and we need to make sure him and Heide aren’t worn out/frustrated/have low confidence by March.

Reactions: Boiling Point
Playing through the post isn’t the problem. We have one of the most dominant post players in the last few decades. The problem is that when environments get tough, and teams ratchet up the pressure, that all we do is try to feed it to Edey and hope he does something. Everyone else is terrified to run our normal offense or look to score themselves. We start to play extremely tight and that’s when we start missing shots and turning it over, because you can leave literally everyone else and just crash on Edey. I like our guards, but if they had half the confidence and mental toughness that Buie has, this game would have been completely different.
This is 100% accurate. Its so difficult to watch Purdue the last 5 minutes of a close game. The players focus so much on getting the ball to Edey that we don't seem to have any offensive movement. Everyone knows this and it creates a more difficult pass to make. Its like once the clock hits 5 minutes everyone except for Edey turns into Morton... including Morton.

This is 100% accurate. It’s so difficult to watch Purdue the last 5 minutes of a close game. The players focus so much on getting the ball to Edey that we don't seem to have any offensive movement. Everyone knows this and it creates a more difficult pass to make. It’s like once the clock hits 5 minutes everyone except for Edey turns into Morton... including Morton.
While I agree, just look at NW. they gave the ball to Boo for all of OT—their best player. Which is what we try to do, too. Whixh makes sense, right? But Buie is obviously a guard and not a center.

I agree that we need Braden, Lance, Fletch or whoever to be a threat in close games as well. In the NW game, it seemed like everyone did freeze and just try to get the ball to Zach. Maui was a bit different as Braden had some big layup (end of UT), fletch had big shots vs UT and Braden took it to the hoop vs Marquette, which rolled off but Z tipped it back in.

let’s see what the next month holds and what some of the other losses look like (hopefully none to not many) and see if we are able to learn/correct the mistakes/last 5 min and OT of NW game

Reactions: West2016
Colvin has played late in the second half several times this year. I would say he got more minutes than Heide at least three games.

You’re new around here, aren’t you?
I know you think Shaka Smart is the savior for Purdue. Marquette lost to Drexel at home Saturday. Smart is a very good coach and has done well at Texas and Marquette. BUT other than in 2011 when he beat Purdue with VCU and made a run to Final 4 he has not been to any Final 4's since. You saying Painter philosophy of running the offense through the post is baloney because #1 YES he runs the offense through the post last few years because he has had dominant Big Men. BUT Painter used to not run the offense through the post when he had the Baby Boilers and many other teams especially the 2017-2018 teams when he had Carsen Edwards. Those teams rarely ran through the post. When you have AJ Hammons and Caleb Swanigan etc... You adapt to your player's. After Edey is gone this year WE will see what kind of different offense Painter uses. Painter has 3 top 89 Rival players coming in next season. BUT NOO I am not new around here and know Painter doesn't have this dead set Off philosophy of running the offense through the post.
You’re new around here, aren’t you?

Agree that it's a real question, i.e. can Myles and Cam (and to a lesser extent Ethan) develop over the next three to four months into real contributors. Guys who can make a difference, not just guys who can play minutes. I still think that Braden and Fletch continuing to develop and Lance settling into his role is more important, but getting a boost from Cam and / or Myles would be huge.

As much as I like Ethan I was happy to see MP go with Cam in crunch time guarding BB last night after LJ fouled out. Results were mixed but he and Myles need to get experience and find productive roles.
I don't think Ethan entered the game or if he did it wasn't for long against NW it seems and then tonight he is the first off the bench. My mind wanders off to thinking maybe he was sick against NW and then I see Cam defending the quickest player on Iowa and think okay...Purdue thought he was the best person to defend Boo. He hit a 3, but I'm unsure he is the shooter some think. He hasn't shot enough for a good feel, but he may end up contributing more this year on D and boards??? Speaking of shooting....I really appreciate Fletcher on his drives/floaters using the glass...it just helps forgive a shot a bit off. Fletch just kisses it up high on the glass as he is getting bounced around. Every so often I think Zach and Trey could have used the benefit of the glass...especially fighting through contact.

100% agree. We need Cam getting those mins and experience now and figure it out now as opposed to march. Hope he will learn and be better in March!

100% agree. We need Cam getting those mins and experience now and figure it out now as opposed to march. Hope he will learn and be better in March!
Having said that, Morton was fantastic last night and I don’t think he made a shot. The diversity and optionality will be crucial for March, being able to play different guys with different skills depending on the other team’s style and personnel.

Last edited:
Having said that, Morton was fantastic last night and I don’t think he mad a shot. The diversity and optionality will be crucial for March, being able to play different guys with different skills depending on the other team’s style and personnel.
True, at least he didn’t hesitate to shoot. He is currently 2-10 on the entire year and 2-4 from the line. He still poses very minimal threat to offense…although like you said he did play well against a not very athletic team. As long as he is efficient and not too much of a liability in his minutes, then that’s fine. I think CMP has realized that and won’t hesitate to not play him if Morty gives us a disadvantage, which I feel is a big improvement 😂

Having said that, Morton was fantastic last night and I don’t think he mad a shot. The diversity and optionality will be crucial for March, being able to play different guys with different skills depending on the other team’s style and personnel.

Morton was impressive. He moved the ball, he defended. He was a difference maker on both sides. In short he was fantastic.

That was last night. Morton will be good to even great when not asked to guard a quick guy that will always blow by him. That was the case last night. I will be surprised if that continues to be the case the next two games or late in the year.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Morton was impressive. He moved the ball, he defended. He was a difference maker on both sides. In short he was fantastic.

That was last night. Morton will be good to even great when not asked to guard a quick guy that will always blow by him. That was the case last night. I will be surprised if that continues to be the case the next two games or late in the year.
agree. If he can guard and shut down Bama and zona’s guards/wings and shut them down, it would be great and def something we could use…but I don’t see it. Hasn’t shown it since his time at Purdue.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Disappeared during the awesome win streak only to crawl out and say "I told you so" with the first loss. Lame defined.
Lil Andy, where ya been?
No doubt, Painter has cemented Purdue as the champions of November for several years running. Hang a banner and hand out a ring!

Tell me how that success in November has translated into March?

I don't think Ethan entered the game or if he did it wasn't for long against NW it seems and then tonight he is the first off the bench. My mind wanders off to thinking maybe he was sick against NW and then I see Cam defending the quickest player on Iowa and think okay...Purdue thought he was the best person to defend Boo. He hit a 3, but I'm unsure he is the shooter some think. He hasn't shot enough for a good feel, but he may end up contributing more this year on D and boards??? Speaking of shooting....I really appreciate Fletcher on his drives/floaters using the glass...it just helps forgive a shot a bit off. Fletch just kisses it up high on the glass as he is getting bounced around. Every so often I think Zach and Trey could have used the benefit of the glass...especially fighting through contact.
As much as I want to dislike Loyer because he's terrible on D, doesn't look like he's ever seen the weight room and disappears in some big games, I can't help but like what he does on the floor. For being unathletic, he's got a nice dribble/drive aspect to his game and the ability to finish.

All of Morton's minutes need to go to Heide and Colvin. Yes, he plays spaz defense, but he gives you absolutely zero on offense. When he's on the floor, it's 4 on 5 on O.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT