ADVERTISEMENT

There has been a lot of growth on this team, but need more

boilerpt

All-American
May 2, 2003
I really have enjoyed watching this team grow over the course of this season. A lot of guys have made huge strides, especially Davis and Mathias, but also AJ, Smotherman, and Edwards. Unfortunately, Stephens is still MIA. He needs to step up. Mathias seems to be solidifying his spot as a starter and I wouldn't be surprised if Cline comes in next year and takes some of KS's minutes as well.

I thought this was a really good effort tonight. Overall, we played pretty good. There are always things you can do better but in the big picture, we played a good team pretty well on the road

I thought we looked like a very young team at times, especially putting up some questionable shots and not being careful with passes. But I agree, good overall effort. Just gotta hit free throws.

Stephens' inconsistency...

After studying Kendall's shot for awhile, I've noticed he often uses a windup - catches it high, then drops it low as he gathers himself for the jump. While he doesn't always do it (presuming he gets the pass high), there are two things that trouble me:
1) that split second wastes a lot of time and allows a defender to close (which is why he may not shoot as often as he could, especially against quicker and much more athletic defenders in the B1G), and
2) using a windup, and then not - is very inconsistent. It really is simple, if one wants to be a consistent shooter, one needs to have a consistent form & motion.

Mathias seems to have a quicker release, without the windup. And Cline has a very quick release.

If Stephens keeps dipping down for his windup on high passes, Cline and Mathias will certainly grab his minutes at the 2. Offhand, if Kendall can improve his drive and finish - as well as continue to develop a stop & pop, I think his future is better at the 3 than anywhere else.

Either way, he needs to lose the windup.

JMHOAU

Re: Stephens' inconsistency...

Kendall is fine and should be the starter next year. I've seen some clips of Cline's play and I'm not blown away by his abilities at the moment.

Originally posted by boilerpt:
I thought we looked like a very young team at times, especially putting up some questionable shots and not being careful with passes. But I agree, good overall effort. Just gotta hit free throws.
The sad thing is we could play pretty well and give good effort and still lose our next 2. It's just the way the schedule shakes out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT