ADVERTISEMENT

The 2017 Class Summer Stats And Info

QuadBoiler2014

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2013
This thread has stats and some slight breakdown of what I personally think of some of the players in the 2017 class. I have been very blessed with a very flexible schedule that has allowed me to travel frequently over the summer around the midwest and I have been able to see most of our main 2017 targets in some capacity or another whether that is AAU, All-Star games, specializes camps or many online streams that are all around the internet. Unfortunately this may be dwindling down for me to be able to travel and see recruits as something may be "cooking" for me and my wife.

Want to make something clear. I am an observer only. I have spoken to a few of these recruits but that is very rare and most of those interactions have been in casual, non-basketball related settings. I don't have recruiting insight, I don't interview the kids, hell I don't even know who their offers are if it weren't for the internet and GBI. The only reason I know who most of these guys are is because of GBI and all of their hard work. They deserve so much credit for the amazing work they put in and the in depth content they crank out.

This thread is here to show statistics of how these recruits did this summer in a snapshot form. All the stats below are from games played against other teams on their own circuit so some players have more games played than others. This is not even close to full stats from their summer as they play a crazy amount of games over the summer, but 15-25 games is a good snapshot of who these players are. The NBPA Top 100 camp was a specialized camp where high level players are invited to come play for a weekend or so. Also included some reference players just so you could see how some other former targets did compared to the guys we are heavily after.

Main Targets: 10
Jaren Jackson Jr: 21 games, 25.2 mpg, 15.7 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 1.2 apg, 1.1 spg, 1.9 bpg, 2.1 TOpg. 46% FG%, (32-81) 40% 3FG%, 73% FT%.

Xavier Tillman: 21 games, 23.7 mpg, 11.1 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.6 spg, 1.1 bpg, 2.1 TOpg. 60% FG%, (1-5) 20% 3FG%, 60% FT%.

Kyle Young: 21 games, 28.1 mpg, 15.7 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 1.8 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.6 bpg, 1.4 TOpg. 48% FG%, (33-90) 37% 3FG%, 75% FT%.

Nojel Eastern: 22 games, 21.6 mpg, 9.1 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 1.8 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.0 TOpg. 42% FG%, (9-43) 21% 3FG%, 71% FT%.

Evan Battey: 18 games, 22.2 mpg, 13.8 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.8 bpg, 1.8 TOpg. 46% FG%, (9-26) 35% 3FG%, 68% FT%.

NPL: 18 games, 27 mpg, 19.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.2 bpg, 2.3 TOpg. 51% FG%, (26-79) 33% 3FG%, 74% FT%.

Maxwell Evans: 17 games, 27 mpg, 14.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 1.6 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.2 bpg, 1.9 TOpg. 47% FG%, (30-84) 36% 3FG%, 57% FT%.

Theo John: 20 games, 17.9 mpg, 5.7 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.5 spg, 1.9 bpg, 1.3 TOpg. 56% FG%, (0-1) 0% 3FG%, 60% FT%.

Chris Sodom: 17 games, 18 mpg, 4.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 0.0 apg, 0.1 spg, 2.2 bpg, 0.8 TOpg. 66% FG%, (0-1) 0% 3FG%, 52% FT%.

Isiah Jasey: 19 games, 23.2 mpg, 6.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.3 spg, 1.7 bpg, 1.3 TOpg. 55% FG%, 0-0 3FG, 40% FT%.

Reference Players: 3
Kris Wilkes: 15 games, 29 mpg, 18.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.7 bpg, 1.6 TOpg. 53% FG%, (5-21) 24% 3FG%, 48% FT%.

Paul Scruggs: 17 games, 25.8 mpg, 13.4 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 4.8 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.5 bpg, 2.5 TOpg. 53% FG%, (9-30) 30% 3FG%, 73% FT%.

Savion Flagg: 17 games, 27 mpg, 13 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 2.6 apg, 0.7 spg, 0.4 bpg, 2.6 TOpg. 41% FG%, (24-84) 29% 3FG%, 60% FT%.

NBPA Top 100 Camp Main Targets: 2
Xavier Tillman: 8 games, 28.4 mpg, 9.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.5 apg, 2.3 spg, 0.9 bpg, 0.5 TOpg. 52% FG%, (0-1) 0% 3FG%, 83% FT%.

Evan Battey: 8 games, 31.3 mpg, 12.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 0.8 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.1 bpg, 0.8 TOpg. 47% FG%, (8-19) 42% 3FG%, 90% FT%.

Reference Players: 4
Malik Williams: 9 games, 22.9 mpg, 9.0 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 0.8 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.6 bpg, 0.6 TOpg. 49% FG%, (7-17) 41% 3FG%, 75% FT%.

Paul Scruggs: 8 games, 28.3 mpg, 12.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.8 spg, 0.3 bpg, 1.8 TOpg. 45% FG%, (8-28) 29% 3FG%, 96% FT%.

Savion Flagg: 8 games, 31 mpg, 12.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.8 spg, 0.3 bpg, 2.8 TOpg. 52% FG%, (4-18) 22% 3FG%, 79% FT%.

Terrence Lewis: 8 games, 21.5 mpg, 7.8 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.3 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.3 bpg, 1.1 TOpg. 47% FG%, (1-9) 11% 3FG%, 64% FT%.

Players on the Nike Circuit: Strongest competition in the country
Jackson, Tillman, Young, Eastern, John and Jasey.

Players on the Adidas Circuit: Strong competition
Battery

Players on the Under Armour Circuit: Not so Strong competition
NPL, Evans, Sodom, Flagg, Wilkes and Scruggs

Jackson and Tillman: Teammates this year on the Nike circuit. Spiece had a ton of talent with target Brandon Johns (2018) and stud PG Tyger Campbell (2019) to go along with a bunch of other talent but really didn't do that well, surprisingly. Jackson was the featured piece for their team while Tillman was about the 4th or 5th option. Both great rebounders and defenders. Tillman is an absolute beast down low while Jackson is the rangy face up man as well as an elite shot blocker. Tillman has a surprising amount of skill passing out of the post and is crazy mobile for his bruising size. Both can bring the ball up the floor if needed and can take people off the dribble a bit especially when they have a favorable mismatch as they often do.

Young: Was really the man for his team along with 2016 NC State commit Markell Johnson who left halfway through the summer due to commitment to NC State. As Brian reported, Young was really kinda done with the whole AAU thing near the end of the season and it showed in his play IMO as he started facilitating more, but still playing very well. Great shooter and a very versatile player.

Eastern: Was also on a very talented team and was about the 3rd or 4th option for them with talented teammate and big time MSU target Brian Bowen (LaLu) taking a very leading role, as he should. Eastern did not play mainly PG this summer and despite what he said, I think he was still shaking off the rust from his injury last summer. Just didn't look as comfortable as he did before, but despite all that was a very impressive and successful player. His team really turned it on in the Peach Jam and Eastern was a big part of that. Very unique player as a PG that is pushing 6'7" according to his USA tryout measurements. IMO, he is better when he is allowed to play mainly PG.

Battey: Took a big adjustment period with his team early on. Tried to do WAY too much and his efficiency and fouling really suffered. Think he fouled out of like 4 straight games in one weekend. Once he got adjusted and let some other teammates share the load, he became a much better player and his efficiency and minutes skyrocketed. When allowed to shoot, as he was in the NBPA Top 100 camp, he can really knock them down. Was extremely impressive at that camp with a ton of other great players there, including 2018 targets Romeo Langford, Tyler Herro, Courtney Ramey and Foster Loyer, even being about 50-60 lbs overweight. Can really move his feet on defense, can post, drive, shoot and rebound really well. I like Battey a lot more than most. Every place he went, he put up big numbers against great competition even with his shortcomings. I see him as a straight 4 man. I really just can't fathom him playing Center in college unless he becomes a freak athlete and his arms stretch out between now and college.

NPL: really don't have much to say as I saw him very briefly 1 time this summer, but have watched several of his Hs games online. Played on a crazy loaded HS team last year and will again this year and was still the leading scorer and passer. Very explosive scorer. Gets a knock due to his shooting form and accuracy. Very Ronnie Johnson in that respect. Off and on, shoots from the shoulder, has to be very set up. But hey, it goes in a good amount of the time but it needs work. Reminds me of JO in terms of body and style. Very athletic, very trim and lanky looking but not weak. Collin Hartman would have Vietnam like flashbacks if he had to see NPL on the other side of the court coming at him. His SportsU team was terrible. He was given the green light to do whatever he wanted because they needed him to go crazy for them to have a chance to win this summer.

Evans and Sodom: teammates this summer with former target Savion Flagg. Evans should be higher thought of IMO as I thought he was really good when I saw him. Can shoot, pull up, drive, is strong, good passer etc. He is a combo for sure so his size is a little concerning for some at about 6'1" but is built enough that he can take it. Pretty athletic kid. I like him. I honestly didn't pay much attention to Sodom when watching as I was watching Evans and Flagg. Sodom hasn't been playing basketball long and it shows as he a lot of the time doesn't really get it aside from block that shot and dunk that ball. You can't teach 7'3" and that shot blocking instinct tho, and he moves well/is athletic as well. Interesting player for sure.

John: Other players may have played for talented AAU teams this summer, but none of them even come close to what John had to deal with. Howard Pulley barely ever lost and was just overflowing with talent. 2-3 five star talents and a few 4 stars too. Played with complete stud and son of Shaq of the Mack, Gary Trent Jr who is a major MSU target. John is very built and college ready as well as pretty damn athletic. Very very strong shot blocking instincts and long arms to do it. Pretty good rebounder too. His offense has a ways to go. Not much skill there either. It shouldn't be looked over that he turned some heads with his play even on a team as talented as his was.

Jasey: can't say anything here. Honestly got bored watching his team when I did see him. My bad guys. Not a big fan of Jasey. Was least impressive of any of the targets I watched. Just an ok player. Wish I could say more but really not a big fan. A lot like John only not as athletic, or big, or strong...

Ill also post my preference of our core 11 remaining players. There could be some surprise addition to this list but I really hope not as Im done for the summer, happy with most of the guys we are after, and would really hate to see us scramble this late in the game. Really hoping our 2017 class is comprised of 5 of these 11 players.

Most want to least:
J3
Eastern
Tillman
Young
Battery
NPL
Evans
John
Sodom-Epperson
Jasey

Lots of stuff here. Enjoy and discuss as much as possible. I don't know if you guys can tell, but I love this stuff. Holds me over from season to season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News