ADVERTISEMENT

Smotherman's shot

GodFamilyCountryPurdue

All-American
Aug 5, 2014
His shot wasn't a bad shot. The shot clock was running out, and he was wide open. Just didn't go in. Obviously not the first option, but it was the only one we had at the time.

He should not been in the game on an offensive possession with that much time left. Kendall should have been in

I actually thought he had time to take it to the rim, and it was wide open for him. Also, should have had Stephens in for him in that situation.

Why would you put in a cold Kendall which hadn't scored a point the entire game (I think)? I'm by no means a Painter fan, but it was the right call.

Originally posted by GodFamilyCountryPurdue:
Why would you put in a cold Kendall which hadn't scored a point the entire game (I think)? I'm by no means a Painter fan, but it was the right call.
To spread out the defense and open up the lane. I guarantee they would not have been sagging on Kendall like that. Also Kendall can drain wide open threes even if he's cold.

Originally posted by Cevol03:
He should not been in the game on an offensive possession with that much time left. Kendall should have been in
Kendall? Are you referring to Kendall Stephens? The same guy who I swear the university should drug test before each game? I once played pick-up ball with a guy like Stephens - only once because we never asked him back. Dude acts like he could give a crap less about winning or losing; is a turnover machine; his shot selection is the worst I've possibly ever seen; and his defense is non existent. Hate playing with guys like that - and I certainly don't like watching him play for my school.

Originally posted by hunkgolden:
Kendall? Are you referring to Kendall Stephens? The same guy who I swear the university should drug test before each game? I once played pick-up ball with a guy like Stephens - only once because we never asked him back. Dude acts like he could give a crap less about winning or losing; is a turnover machine; his shot selection is the worst I've possibly ever seen; and his defense is non existent. Hate playing with guys like that - and I certainly don't like watching him play for my school.
at least you are not overly dramatic in your assessment of Kendall

I'd actually rather have Smotherman on the floor

With Stephens, you have one option out there - a (probably too deep) three attempt. At least Smotherman gives the opportunity of a cut, drive, hustle play, or offensive rebound. If Stephens isn't shooting, he's watching.

Either your timing is totally whacked out or your just a dick.

Funny how you only show up after a loss and run down the players while acting like you understand the game.

I would also say if you graduated from Purdue, you should keep that to yourself. Thanks in advance from the rest of us.

The bad part about it

That was the sequence where Purdue used two timeouts-just checked it on espn game summary.

Brought the ball up the court-no movement. Painter calls aTO with under 20 on the clock. Mathias (pretty sure it was him) pulls his passs to the guy on the sideline that is double teamed routine, and Purdue burns another time out. On this inbounds play Octeus is wide open cutting to the rim, Mathias(or the inbounder) missed him, dumps a pass off to perimeter. Purdue half heartedly runs a play, but AJH does not really get the ball when/where he needs it. The pass moves out to Smotherman with roughly five on the shot clock.

I would have liked to see him drive and be aggressive at the rim with the OSU bigs. But bottom line it was a horrendous possession that he had little to do with BS. Is a Smotherman three the shot Purdue wants there? Nope. But do not blame the guy for launching it after that poor sequence with limited time on the clock.

Originally posted by hunkgolden:
+1

Originally posted by GodFamilyCountryPurdue:
To spread out the defense and open up the lane. I guarantee they would not have been sagging on Kendall like that. Also Kendall can drain wide open threes even if he's cold.
Except that he hasn't been. At least not consistently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT