ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting improvements?

Boilermaker

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 31, 2002
Someone touched on this in another thread. Does Brohm’s successful style of recruiting rub off or otherwise influence Painter in the coming year(s)?

Someone touched on this in another thread. Does Brohm’s successful style of recruiting rub off or otherwise influence Painter in the coming year(s)?
Brohm has to do something with it first before I'd call it a success. But then again, the hatertards on here do have a double standard going on.

Reactions: nitrowars
What it proves to those who give 100 excuses for Painters recruiting failures, is that it’s possible to make the P name sexy to top level talent, that it’s a fun place to go to school and play, that 5 stars don’t care about weather, beaches and nightlife.

Nothing really. I see it compared quite a bit on here as a measuring stick, but really it's an apples to bulldozers type comparison.
One has shown an ability to use the personnel that he had and has, while the other does the same thing every year regardless of his personnel.

Brohm is trying to recruit 20+ guys each year...and, has had not just immediate (and, totally unexpected) success...but, unlike Painter, he then built on it.

Painter has to recruit 3-4 guys each year...and, has only managed twice in 15 years to put together a class that was impactful, separated by 7 years, and, neither time was able to take advantage of the success that either class had.

Brohm made an immediate impact in the state...and, has only had a greater one in his second year, whereas Painter managed to do it a single time and has lost more ground now arguably than at any other point during his tenure.

Brohm went head-to-head against the best programs (and recruiters) in the nation for the best players in the state and has managed to convince them to play at Purdue (without nearly as much to offer as Painter should be able to)...Painter can't even get the best players in the state to visit.

One has shown an ability to use the personnel that he had and has, while the other does the same thing every year regardless of his personnel.

Brohm is trying to recruit 20+ guys each year...and, has had not just immediate (and, totally unexpected) success...but, unlike Painter, he then built on it.

Painter has to recruit 3-4 guys each year...and, has only managed twice in 15 years to put together a class that was impactful, separated by 7 years, and, neither time was able to take advantage of the success that either class had.

Brohm made an immediate impact in the state...and, has only had a greater one in his second year, whereas Painter managed to do it a single time and has lost more ground now arguably than at any other point during his tenure.

Brohm went head-to-head against the best programs (and recruiters) in the nation for the best players in the state and has managed to convince them to play at Purdue (without nearly as much to offer as Painter should be able to)...Painter can't even get the best players in the state to visit.
It's almost embarrassing how the top level players in Indiana refuse to even come for a visit.

It's almost embarrassing how the top level players in Indiana refuse to even come for a visit.
Brohm’s a great recruiter, has some beast recruiters on his staff, Shepherd, Barclay, etc, with Hodges running the operation, and Brohm seems to really sell the immediate playing time angle. There’s no question he promised Rondale he would start as a true freshman.

Yep, the 2014 #1 and #2 Mr. Basketball of Indiana decided to... go to Purdue. That was just tough. You know, it is hard to determine a trend from a single data point, either from 2016 or from 2018. I think we had better wait a bit before declaring defeat. However, if you want to, go right ahead.

Reactions: nitrowars
Yep, the 2014 #1 and #2 Mr. Basketball of Indiana decided to... go to Purdue. That was just tough. You know, it is hard to determine a trend from a single data point, either from 2016 or from 2018. I think we had better wait a bit before declaring defeat. However, if you want to, go right ahead.

Good fact; however painter has been here 14 years, and landed 1 Mr. Basketball, who actually picked Sparty first. And Cline may have been voted 2nd but he wasnt 2nd best in state. Jalen Coleman Lands was

IU has 5 guys that don’t play much that would see a lot of minutes at Purdue. You guys are about to enter some really dark days until Archie leaves or you get rid of Painter. I’m sure whomever you get will recruit better than him.

Until the next group. I hope it is soon too! Like you, I am worried bit, but Matt seems to be able to turn it around as needed.
Now would be a good time if that’s the case. He might need a really good 2020 class to save his job, sort of like the 2014 class might have.

Yes, #2 had no other major Div I offers, and, #1 was forced to go there despite his not wanting to...quality recruiting job there certainly. It was the only time that he has managed to land Indiana's Mr. Basketball, and, it literally had nothing at all to do with him. Present day, he not only can't get them...as said, he cannot even get a visit from them.

Reactions: cybergates
Now would be a good time if that’s the case. He might need a really good 2020 class to save his job, sort of like the 2014 class might have.

Horrendous timing...Take a look at the 2020 class in the midwest...Unless a couple kids take major jumps it really looks rough. Going to be all the Big Ten schools battling for kids in the 75-150 range

Reactions: DAG10
Horrendous timing...Take a look at the 2020 class in the midwest...Unless a couple kids take major jumps it really looks rough. Going to be all the Big Ten schools battling for kids in the 75-150 range
That will be one year where Archie will go national for a couple.

Brohm’s a great recruiter, has some beast recruiters on his staff, Shepherd, Barclay, etc, with Hodges running the operation, and Brohm seems to really sell the immediate playing time angle. There’s no question he promised Rondale he would start as a true freshman.
Rondale starting as a freshman was an given, if you saw him play in high school, which I was lucky enough to see. What Brohm promised him was that he would build certain plays and the offense around his skill set to maximize his production. He will do the same with Wright, Bell, etc.

I don't think Painter will build his team's offense around certain players. It is the team. Also, if you don't play his style of defense, you are not going to get the minutes. Anyone that has watched any AAU ball in the last 5 years can see that the majority of these kids don't play defense, because they are not coached to play defense. These games are run and gun and the coaches build their offenses around their best players to score as many points as they can. That is what these kids want and expect in college.

Painter style is from the old school, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, if he wants to get these certain types of kids that could be immediate game changers, like a Rondale in basketball, then he might have to change his style a little.

Rondale starting as a freshman was an given, if you saw him play in high school, which I was lucky enough to see. What Brohm promised him was that he would build certain plays and the offense around his skill set to maximize his production. He will do the same with Wright, Bell, etc.

I don't think Painter will build his team's offense around certain players. It is the team. Also, if you don't play his style of defense, you are not going to get the minutes. Anyone that has watched any AAU ball in the last 5 years can see that the majority of these kids don't play defense, because they are not coached to play defense. These games are run and gun and the coaches build their offenses around their best players to score as many points as they can. That is what these kids want and expect in college.

Painter style is from the old school, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, if he wants to get these certain types of kids that could be immediate game changers, like a Rondale in basketball, then he might have to change his style a little.
You don’t need 5 star guys to be really successful although having 1 or 2 is obviously helpful. I think the key is just having about 8 guys that were ranked in the top 100 maybe 120 will due if you want to make final 4s and it not be a fluke kind of thing.

Ever heard the phrase "People don't change"?
I think Painter might be living proof of that from a coaching and recruiting perspective.
It will take a miracle for Painter (if he survives the next 2 years) to put together a class that can get to the FF. Because if that's not the goal or not realistic, WhyTF is he still the head coach if getting to the FF in year 17-18 isn't achievable?

Ever heard the phrase "People don't change"?
I think Painter might be living proof of that from a coaching and recruiting perspective.
It will take a miracle for Painter (if he survives the next 2 years) to put together a class that can get to the FF. Because if that's not the goal or not realistic, WhyTF is he still the head coach if getting to the FF in year 17-18 isn't achievable?
He just signed an extension until 2024. How much would it cost to buy him out, if it would get to that point sometime in the future? I am sure it is tiered.

He just signed an extension until 2024. How much would it cost to buy him out, if it would get to that point sometime in the future? I am sure it is tiered.
Buyouts are really not an issue. They can be spread out over 5 years, and if/when he receives a new coaching position the buyout would decrease by the amount of his new contract.

Tend to agree with Iron that buyouts are kind of a non-issue, but to attempt to answer the question, here is an article from LJC at the time the October extension was signed.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...ontract-extension-through-2023-24/1611267002/

Spurgeon said the contract amendments approved Friday also changed Painter's buyout to a fixed payment schedule, beginning at $2 million and stepping down each year to a low of $1 million after June 30, 2020.

I'm not sure how rare it is for coaches making this kind of money to sign extensions that end up decreasing the school's buyout, but you'd have to think it wasn't simply an accident/mistake...

Isn't that kind of what happened to Gus Mahlzahn at Auburn? They didn't want to fire him now - bad timing maybe? - but lowered his buyout going forward.

Who cares what it costs to buy him out. Is that they only reason to keep him? MBob is smarter than that and knows you have to invest to get the right coach (Brohm).

Mbob will always have a short list because thats what good AD's do, unlike Burke. If Purdue fails to make the tourney this year, the process will start simply due to next year isn't looking much better. No way MBob does anything after this year, at a minimum it would be missing the tourney two years in a row, then evaluating the incoming class the following year. If its bleak-then it could get interesting for Painter.

So Steve Alford is having some trouble out in UCLA and there has been talks about him being on the hot seat. Dude has had riches of talent yet on court results have left a lot to be desired.

If he is fired, should Painter try and get him on his staff?

He is an Indiana kid and has recruited kids assay from the state.

So Steve Alford is having some trouble out in UCLA and there has been talks about him being on the hot seat. Dude has had riches of talent yet on court results have left a lot to be desired.

Is that a joke? There is no way someone goes from head coach at UCLA to Purdue assistant, much less this particular someone.

Interesting thought, but I don't see any reason he would agree to become an assistant coach. He will likely become and ESPN analyst for a year before accepting some low end SEC or Big 12 job.

Is that a joke? There is no way someone goes from head coach at UCLA to Purdue assistant.
Not a joke. Serious question because some people aren’t cut out to be analysts or don’t want to take on some dumpster programs to remain a HC.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Not a joke. Serious question because some people aren’t cut out to be analysts or don’t want to take on some dumpster programs to remain a HC.
We should look at his associate head coach Duane Broussard who helped with their recruiting classes recently as a possible assistant. He also helped develop Danny Granger.

We should look at his associate head coach Duane Broussard who helped with their recruiting classes recently as a possible assistant. He also helped develop Danny Granger.
I know he fired one of his guys in the offseason but believe he ended up at Washington I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT