ADVERTISEMENT

Question to ponder about recruiting in the NIL era......

From afar, this transfer portal thing is crazy.

1. You have the guys who didn't get playing time transferring laterally or down for a better fit.

2. You have the low/mid majors wanting to move up a level.

3. You have the guys leaving due to coaching change.

4. Still have the last of the extra Covid Year guys lingering around.

5. You have guys leaving perfectly good situations looking for money. Not education. Not winning. Just money.

I'm OK with options 1-3. The covid year thing is getting really old, but whatever.

Number 5 is what might kill college basketball as we know it. It will turn into NFL free agency without a salary cap, contracts, or consequences for tampering. Professional sports without regulation. I'm not against college athletes making money, but there needs to be guard rails.

Purdue can try to swim against the current, but it's only a matter of time before someone we all love like Edey's phone rings with an offer none of us could refuse and they're out the door. It's happening at other schools, and we're naive to think it won't happen here either. When this becomes the norm, I think a large number of fans will lose interest, resulting in a loss of revenue for the sport, and maybe something will finally be done to fix the problem.
Not to worry. As stated by a poster in another thread, now that the no wrong doing Duke is being impacted by # 5, a change to the current process will come. Their former HC Nasally Voice, will see to that.

The argument jumped from “a kid should get part of the profits for their jersey being sold” to “so and so transfer guy should get $1M to play at whatever school that can afford it” very quickly.

This stuff and all the legalized gambling apps money may be the beginning of the end of true college sports, at least basketball and football.
Notice how many collegiate "events" are taking place in Vegas? Nothing to see here, folks.

Reactions: BoilerMaker P
It’s a new day Johnell Davis is holding out for 3 figures and Michigan is not coming up to his numbers right now.how big is your pocket
In Davis case I don’t blame him for wanting to get his, he likely isn’t a NBA player, got 1 last year to try to make bank. That’s the system, he’ll end up at Michigan.

Reactions: oldboiler52
This is an interesting question. Saw an analyst mention something similar and wondering of burnout of collectives and donors. What happens when a collective looks back in 2-3 years and asks why they spent 200-500k on a kid who put up 6pts and 3 rebounds a game. What happens when the same folks ask why they shelled out $1M or more for a roster to either miss the tourney or not make it out of the first weekend.

Personally, I think a lot of high school kids outside the top 50, will end up at places who don’t live and die with the portal. The recruitment of those kids in the 50-200 range will be more open because coaches are using NIL + portal as free agency. They see higher upside to quickly build a roster and potentially win with experienced players v player development.

Another thought for mid majors who experience high roster churn because of NIL + portal, why not become the Kentucky of the mid majors? Why not position yourself for great skill development and showcase the schools your kids left to go to? I mean Kentucky and Duke are the 5* one and dons factory. Why not be the 1-3 year development school to get a major NIL deal? Honestly, if I am a mid major, I am recruiting and signing 5-7 kids a year because I know my roster is going to get gutted.

I think this stuff levels off in another year when COVID kids are all done. They have added a weird element to the mix which is almost done. Perhaps we see some leveling off in the coming year.
Good post, guys like Davis, Gillis, want a nice payday before they get into the real world, I don’t blame them.

• Angry
Reactions: Tommaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT