ADVERTISEMENT

Question regarding a rules change

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
I've long thought that defensive pass interference in the collegiate game should mirror the NFL's rule that the ball shall be placed at the spot of the foul.

I think it makes it a better game, and takes away the cheap foul where a guy can't defend and simply gets the flag for contact.

What's everyone's opinion and are there other changes you'd like to see.

The rule change would kill Purdue. We can't get the ball downfield enough for interference to come into play and our D would be giving up bigger chunks of yardage on plays that they had stopped by illegal contact.

big change I want to see is where the runner is down by contact w/ the ground, like the Pro's version way better where you can get up and run if not touched.

I prefer all college rules to pro rules.

For me, the NFL is an inferior product. Even with the playoff chase heating up, I cant bring myself to care. Especially since they started slighting the rules to the offense.

I like the pro rule for PI and think college should adopt it. Cost us a chance to beat Oregon at Ross Ade when Orton got manhandled at the goal line in OT but we only go the fifteen yards.

Also think that targeting calls should be reviewable

I can respect either way on PI.

Personally, I dont like assuming the receiver would make the catch when the interference isnt severe. I wasn't a fan when they went to all facemasks being a personal foul and would prefer pass interference go the same way facemasks used to be; a 15 yard kind and a spot foul variety. What I definitively don't like is that they don't stop the clock on 1st down in the pros towards the end of a half. It rewards organization and efficiency; two of the things I like most about football. The end of an NFL game is so unexciting.
This post was edited on 12/15 11:23 AM by boiler17

Originally posted by Bullwhip Griffith:
I like the pro rule for PI and think college should adopt it. Cost us a chance to beat Oregon at Ross Ade when Orton got manhandled at the goal line in OT but we only go the fifteen yards.

Also think that targeting calls should be reviewable

They are automatically reviewed.

I like the college rule in college and the pro rule in the pros. In college the talent gap is much wider and they are still young individuals adjusting to the game and the likelyhood of getting beat by a better player is much higher. If it was the NFL rule then teams would just send their guys 50 yards every play and wait for the flag. I think it would really damage some games as it would open it up completely as players would be scared of any contact because they just don't have the skill of proper defense on every play.

It works well in the NFL because these are big strong professional players that are paid large amounts of money to do it right and practice their whole lives to be the best at playing the WR correctly. And vise versa the WR is better too so in pass interference happens the play is more likely to have been made and disrupted by the foul. Not always the case in college.

Sure about that? I don't think Orton played Oregon. It was Curtis Painter and Joey Elliott, pretty sure. Think it was 2008 (Tiller's last year and Chip Kelly's first at Oregon) for Painter and 2009 with Joey Elliott and Danny Hope when they played at Oregon. In that game Kyle Adams blew a 2-pt conversion in the endzone when he jumped for a ball he didn't need to, and then he couldn't get one foot down in bounds. We gave Oregon all they could handle at their place that season.

Originally posted by SDBoiler1:

Sure about that? I don't think Orton played Oregon. It was Curtis Painter and Joey Elliott, pretty sure. Think it was 2008 (Tiller's last year and Chip Kelly's first at Oregon) for Painter and 2009 with Joey Elliott and Danny Hope when they played at Oregon. In that game Kyle Adams blew a 2-pt conversion in the endzone when he jumped for a ball he didn't need to, and then he couldn't get one foot down in bounds. We gave Oregon all they could handle at their place that season.
I dont immediately recall the play, but willing to bet they mean Greg Orton the receiver.

Let's hearken back to the early 70's when DB's could maul any receiver anywhere until ball was in the air. Used to be the rule read that defense has equal right to the ball as receiver. Real man's football then: 200 yards was considered a great game. Passing stats are so cheap today, I'm surprised QB's aren't wearing a dress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT