ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue's getting its "A" list recruits

boiler800

Senior
Jan 26, 2012
Venice, FL
as I've said all along and as confirmed today by Brian Neubert on Gold and Black radio. I hope they get Wegher (he reminds me of BJ Knauf), Landers (we lead for him) and a Kicker next.

as I've said all along and as confirmed today by Brian Neubert on Gold and Black radio. I hope they get Wegher (he reminds me of BJ Knauf), Landers (we lead for him) and a Kicker next.

That's great, but our "A-list" recruits are not exactly shooting for the stars either.

On a mission huh?

On a mission huh?

He wont even make it to conference play before he disappears. Like all the uber positive posters on here not brave enough to put on the haz mat suit and talk Boiler Football in Oct/Nov.

He wont even make it to conference play before he disappears. Like all the uber positive posters on here not brave enough to put on the haz mat suit and talk Boiler Football in Oct/Nov.
That's likely because there's not been much to be uber positive about in the past few Oct/Nov conversations.

On a mission huh?
My mission is simply to point out that we are actually getting the recruits we want. I think it's great that we're not settling for backup plans. I also like this coaching staff better than any staff since early Tiller years. If guys like Marcus Freeman, Gerad Parker, Taver Johnson, Jim Bridge, Terry Malone etc. like these guys, that makes me feel a lot better than some of you not liking them.

I listed to this telecast. Brian also stated that we lost most of our top in state A list to other program, especially Michigan and Michigan St. It is really hurting our recruiting when the best in Indiana are still going to our programs.

I wish we could get everybody we want, but with approximately 15 scholarships it's hard to have your cake and eat it too.

I listed to this telecast. Brian also stated that we lost most of our top in state A list to other program, especially Michigan and Michigan St. It is really hurting our recruiting when the best in Indiana are still going to our programs.
Well to be fair I think a lot of that has to do with the closer they are to Purdue, the more they see of how bad things really are and the harder it is to cover up. I think it can be a lot easier a sell to some of these guys who are out of state when they don't have the constant barrage in the media talking about how bad things have been. Sometimes less exposure to a bad thing, can actually be a good thing it would seem. If we can win, and get some positive media, I would imagine the local crowd will turn around if indeed they really have made it a focus like has been said.

There is also a difference in neglecting Indiana as Hope did and not being able to close the deal on some of these kids. Especially when so many of the are going to programs in much bigger or better situations. We got beat by MSU, Michigan, OSU, Iowa ect... there is only one Miami of OH, Western Michigan, and NU is probably not to far from us and you can't really say that those guys beat us because they beat the others out as well. There would not seem to be a lot of top talent in the state this year and most of it went to the better schools. I don't see IU on the list of top 15. (May still get there) or Illinois, or Cincy. Teams that have also historically reached into this state. Also there is no ND for that matter, but I bet they aren't disappointed in that as they typically only get the one or 2 that they think is worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler800
That's likely because there's not been much to be uber positive about in the past few Oct/Nov conversations.

Yeah, but the uber positives get old because they get all in your face about not being positive, which I would like to be, and then leave you holding the bag with a terrible team. Theres been 4-5 of them since Haz arrived.

If they win 9 games this season, I will still be here.

We've never ever really had much luck bringing in the top indiana talent. In 2006, I believe that was the year, we brought in the most top 20 indiana talent we ever had gotten. Wasn't exactly outstanding results

We did pretty good in 03-05, but the problems with the 05 and beyond teams killed that pretty quick

We did pretty good in 03-05, but the problems with the 05 and beyond teams killed that pretty quick

Check out the post I just did in the other thread about that 2003 top 20 ranked class. It's Tiller's best ranked class and the class that started his downfall

Check out the post I just did in the other thread about that 2003 top 20 ranked class. It's Tiller's best ranked class and the class that started his downfall

It did, but I'll still take higher rated kids over the diamonds in the rough all day. Tiller was just losing enthusasim and had to spend too much time replacing coaches.

I don't mean this in a good or bad way, I'm merely curious if anyone knows, but it seems like each year people complain about the kids we miss out on in the state that goes elsewhere. Could someone give me a good list of Indiana High School players we had an actual shot at that went out of state that went on to be breakout players? I'm not saying there aren't any but I haven't been in the stay in over a decade and don't follow HS football at all in the state so I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable at the historic angle knows. Off the top of my head the more recent one is Eifert, and I think you can include Tranquil as I think he's going to be pretty solid throughout his career. And Probably Jaylon Smith, but I'm not sure we had an actual shot at him? Who else? I guess a case could be made for Gunner? I don't know OSU well enough but I bet they got some big time players? And UM probably? Gotta be other legacies too that have burned us?

His 98 class was ranked in the top 3 in the Big Ten - obviously a very good class.

But again, there's more to things than just stars. You look at some of the problems we ran into - we were willing to take a 5 star recruit that had warning signs flashing from a mile away.

You had other guys who only cared about themselves and weren't good teammates - just selfish.

You can bring in 4 star players like Isaac Haas who are awesome teammates - or you can bring in 4 star players like Ronnie Johnson who are horrible teammates. You don't always know in advance - they're 18 year old kids, but if you do nothing about it when you find out, that's where you run into problems. There were multiple warning signs with a guy like Kyle Williams - but they weren't dealt with in a serious manner. Same with Selwyn Lymon - the guy was stabbed at a bar and

So to brush off this recruiting class was the downfall or we have horrible luck with 4 star recruits, etc. - they're broad statements that don't speak the truth. And it cracks me up when people say "oh we just cannot compete with big programs". Bernard Pollard, Ray Edwards, Ryan Baker... had offers from places like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma. Just off the top of my head.

Well to be fair I think a lot of that has to do with the closer they are to Purdue, the more they see of how bad things really are and the harder it is to cover up. I think it can be a lot easier a sell to some of these guys who are out of state when they don't have the constant barrage in the media talking about how bad things have been. Sometimes less exposure to a bad thing, can actually be a good thing it would seem. If we can win, and get some positive media, I would imagine the local crowd will turn around if indeed they really have made it a focus like has been said.

Interesting point Billy. I think we are able to recruit some players just because they are happy to go to a P5 program and not to the MAC for instance. The kids further away may know Purdue as a team that plays against OSU, Michigan and others and not so much about our bad records?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT