ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs. Valpo THREAD

I never said I want that, however, I want a player that isn’t 8-30 throwing brick after brick at the rim. It’s like Purdue is short handed offensively, she needs to be better Michael. Also, the only reason I posted this is that you jump at a Frosh but am always quiet about Terry. So far she hasn’t been good, hopefully, that changes, no doubt she rebounds well, however, she’s down in every category.
I don't defend Terry's lack of scoring, I am just resigned that as a 5th year senior, she is what she is. IF you play her at point, you lose scoring, if you play her at SF to get scoring from her you lose games because we don't have a competent replacement for her at point at this time. I also agreed she is not playing as well this year as last year, but as a team only Madison is as good or better than last year, and she is still not nearly as good as she was before she got hurt as a sophomore. What I keep pointing out is no one can replace Terry for what she does give the team. I would love for her to find a freaking jumpshot in her stocking, but since I no longer believe in Santa Claus I accept she is a fundamentally flawed player that is not going to provide scoring for us very often. But she is well over a 2-1 A -TO ratio, she leads the team in rebounding from the pg position making up for our general lack of rebounding from the rest of the team. She has well over 40% of all the teams assists, and leads the team in steals. (EDIT I was wrong, Terry has 10 steals, Madison and Ellis each have 11)

What you haven't answered though I have asked more than once is who are you going to put in to replace her at point if you sit her down for her lack of scoring and where will the lost assists and rebounding be made up from?

Last edited:
Let's see who is the liar here, you and your cherry picked stats or the the whole stats I used:

Ellis is scoring more ppg, but shooting significantly poorer from the field than last year
last year 48% from the field 37% from 3. This year 41% from the field and 27% from 3 pt range.
last year Ellis had 49 TOs for the whole year, this year through 8 games she has 21 already

C Harper
Last year 10.4 ppg, this year through 8 games 9 ppg rebounding is slightly better 4.6 this year to 3.9 for last. But of course you omitted her terrible games against the cupcakes to come up with a stat that while true is utterly dishonest in its presentation and without intellectual integrity in the context of the conversation at hand.

Madison is better so far this year over last, but not up to 2020-21 level of play and still inconsistent for a senior.

And you conceded Smith and Terry.

We are getting about 21 ppg (which is still inflated from the recent cupcake games) from the frosh but it needs to replace 28 ppg lost from Hardin, Woltman, Learn and Petree.

Ah yes. The 21 ppg is inflated because it’s factoring in the cupcake games. Yet using Harper’s average against the best teams we’ve played factoring out the useless cupcake games - is deceiving. Ok.

It’s telling her average against the best competition is higher than her overall season average - simply because she was actually needed in those games and had actual posts she had to match up against.

Her 11 min against Valpo and 18 vs USI and low output was simply because she was a bad matchup against both teams with no actual post players. Both teams we beat by 30+ pts and both games where we got out younger players in for important PT and player development.

Factor in her 5 games against our toughest competition to date - she averaged 11.2 ppg and 5 rpg. Which are both increases from last year I made the statement because it’s much more indicative of how effective she will be the rest of our season at ND and against our big ten competition coming up. It’s called a fair comparison.

Newsflash Michael. P5 teams are the ones with 6-3 6-4 post players. They are the teams we will need Harper to have any chance of winning. She had 14/11 against TAMU. Her and Spider were responsible for our best win.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MichaelRR
Ah yes. The 21 ppg is inflated because it’s factoring in the cupcake games. Yet using Harper’s average against the best teams we’ve played factoring out the useless cupcake games - is deceiving. Ok.

It’s telling her average against the best competition is higher than her overall season average - simply because she was actually needed in those games and had actual posts she had to match up against.

Her 11 min against Valpo and 18 vs USI and low output was simply because she was a bad matchup against both teams with no actual post players. Both teams we beat by 30+ pts and both games where we got out younger players in for important PT and player development.

Factor in her 5 games against our toughest competition to date - she averaged 11.2 ppg and 5 rpg. Which are both increases from last year I made the statement because it’s much more indicative of how effective she will be the rest of our season at ND and against our big ten competition coming up. It’s called a fair comparison.

Newsflash Michael. P5 teams are the ones with 6-3 6-4 post players. They are the teams we will need Harper to have any chance of winning. She had 14/11 against TAMU. Her and Spider were responsible for our best win.
C Harper's 11 minutes against Valpo was because she was sucking so bad she was benched. 0-4 shooting and 5 TOs with only 1 RB. And yet you are the first to defend her when a P5 teams big post abuses her in the paint because she is undersized..... You change arguments more often than some people change underwear. LOL

<Ah yes. The 21 ppg is inflated because it’s factoring in the cupcake games. Yet using Harper’s average against> <the best teams we’ve played factoring out the useless cupcake games - is deceiving. Ok. >

Jones has 87 points total 22 of which came against Valpo.... but nooooooo that doesn't skew the average over 8 games played to date at all does it Pride? ROFL and you have the absolute gall to call anyone else a liar.....

Last edited:
C Harper's 11 minutes against Valpo was because she was sucking so bad she was benched. 0-4 shooting and 5 TOs with only 1 RB. And yet you are the first to defend her when a P5 teams big post abuses her in the paint because she is undersized..... You change arguments more often than some people change underwear. LOL

Ellis, Layden, Harper, Spider and MA have combined to average 55 ppg on the year. which is nearly 82% of the team’s current offensive production. Take out the 3 cupcakes. And it only dips to an average of 52 ppg. So those 3 games have not inflated stats as much as you’re trying to make it seem.

We have averaged 58 ppg against the 4 P5 teams and Dayton. So they are responsible for 89% of the points. So essentially these 5 players have carried us all year.

We need the surrounding cast of Smith and Terry to contribute more going forward and we need to continue developing our other rookies and Mila.

Ellis, Layden, Harper, Spider and MA have combined to average 55 ppg on the year. which is nearly 82% of the team’s current offensive production. Take out the 3 cupcakes. And it only dips to an average of 52 ppg. So those 3 games have not inflated stats as much as you’re trying to make it seem.

We have averaged 58 ppg against the 4 P5 teams and Dayton. So they are responsible for 89% of the points. So essentially these 5 players have carried us all year.

We need the surrounding cast of Smith and Terry to contribute more going forward and we need to continue developing our other rookies and Mila.

First sensible and correct thing you have said today. I agree with all of that, but it doesn't change anything I said previously. Beyond that lets agree to disagree and walk away.

First sensible and correct thing you have said today. I agree with all of that, but it doesn't change anything I said previously. Beyond that let’s agree to disagree and walk away.
Spider has averaged 10.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg over her first 8 games ever as a college player.

Take out the cupcakes her average only falls to 9 ppg and 2.8 rpg. road game at the #2 team in the country, 3 SEC schools and true road game at Dayton.

Those are literal facts you can’t dispute.

I don't defend Terry's lack of scoring, I am just resigned that as a 5th year senior, she is what she is. IF you play her at point, you lose scoring, if you play her at SF to get scoring from her you lose games because we don't have a competent replacement for her at point at this time. I also agreed she is not playing as well this year as last year, but as a team only Madison is as good or better than last year, and she is still not nearly as good as she was before she got hurt as a sophomore. What I keep pointing out is no one can replace Terry for what she does give the team. I would love for her to find a freaking jumpshot in her stocking, but since I no longer believe in Santa Claus I accept she is a fundamentally flawed player that is not going to provide scoring for us very often. But she is well over a 2-1 A -TO ratio, she leads the team in rebounding from the pg position making up for our general lack of rebounding from the rest of the team. She has well over 40% of all the teams assists, and leads the team in steals. (EDIT I was wrong, Terry has 10 steals, Madison and Ellis each have 11)

What you haven't answered though I have asked more than once is who are you going to put in to replace her at point if you sit her down for her lack of scoring and where will the lost assists and rebounding be made up from?
Does Ellis play any point? If she does she can move there and Jones can enter the lineup. If the season looks to be a struggle I want 2 Frosh in the starting lineup for the future. Right now I stay with Terry at PG and hope she plays like I’m sure she’s capable of.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Does Ellis play any point? If she does she can move there and Jones can enter the lineup. If the season looks to be a struggle I want 2 Frosh in the starting lineup for the future. Right now I stay with Terry at PG and hope she plays like I’m sure she’s capable of.

It was set up this season for Ellis to not play Point and to have her as a scorer - hence why she has upped her offensive average to 15 ppg. Terry is clearly being looked at as a distributor and rebounder.

Jones is perfectly fine where she is giving us instant offense off the bench. If she is moved to staring lineup that immediately goes away. The only way I see her getting into the starting lineup is if Layden starts her usual mid season physical break down. We would probably end up giving her less minutes and more min to jones to help preserve her throughout the season.

Reactions: MichaelRR

Ellis can play some point, but not very well, and you lose much of her scoring when she has to become the primary ball handler. So you would lose a scorer to have a different mostly non-scoring point guard and you'd lose Terry's rebounding without anyone clearly able to pick it up. Terry is who she is, and that is never going to be a 10 ppg scorer from the point. She lacks a good jump shot and most of her points come off drives and free throws. If those aren't open to her, she won't score much and if she shoots much its going to be at a poor percentage. Who do you play when Jones gets into foul trouble? She leads the team in fouls given when only playing 17 mpg. I fully agree with Pride, Jones is right where she can do the most good and get the right development for her future. Now, can we find Smith and show her how to play again?

Michigan may well drop all the way to third tier, they got skull drug by Toledo today, 69-48

Ah yes because the tournament committee looks at preseason projections of teams and not their actual finish to judge a team’s resume. 😂 give me a break. I think it’s pure comedy that in 2 months time you’ve completely changed your tune when it comes to our ooc schedule. From too tough to now apparently too weak unless we win every game. 😂 😂. The mental gymnastics you have to pull simply amazes me. UCLA is undefeated; TAMU is 7-1 with their only loss to us. And UGA and Florida have 2 each. FSU and Duke among those they lost to.

The committee should look at the fact that we scheduled 5 P5 teams for our OOC. 2 being top 15 teams. Both on the road. 2 being probably bubble SEC on a neutral site and 1 at home. TAMU is a ncaa tournament team. We are a NCAA bubble team at best this year. Even if we lose to ND - I feel great that we put ourselves in position to be looked on favorably because we challenge ourselves preseason when many teams have great records but have feasted on cupcakes.

For comparison- Nebraska - who is probably going to be our main competition for a bubble spot from the B10. Is 6-2; best win was a home win over GT. Lost to any other real team they’ve played. MSU and Minnesota are both 7-1 Spartans best win was DePaul. Minny’s is Drake. Michigan’s schedule has been an absolute joke. After the top of iu Iowa and OSU and probably MD. It’s a crapshoot right now of who is best. Records don’t mean anything right now. Look at who they’ve played and who they beat. Purdue easily has the toughest schedule of any of the big ten bubble teams. No out outside of the top 3 scares me. The Big ten has taken a step back this year. The sec has taken a step forward, the fact we have 3 SEC teams and ucla and Nd on our schedule will help us come tournament time compared to our big ten competition
This has not aged well.... LOL ..... UF and UGa tied for last in SEC and TxA&M just one game ahead of them in the win column. If they had not all three played each other, UF and UGA would be winless in SEC play. Just watching our games should have let anyone that knows women's basketball know they were bad teams.

Reactions: Brya31
This has not aged well.... LOL ..... UF and UGa tied for last in SEC and TxA&M just one game ahead of them in the win column. If they had not all three played each other, UF and UGA would be winless in SEC play. Just watching our games should have let anyone that knows women's basketball know they were bad teams.

They are 5 games into the conference season but let’s gloat. 😂 Pathetic. But let’s look at who they played so far and what circumstances they find themselves in - shall we? Maybe post an educated informed post for once? I know how you struggle with that.

Florida’s 4 SEC losses came to teams with a combined 54-11 record. All 4 are tournament teams as of now. UGA suffered a major injury 1 min into their third sec game vs. Alabama. They lost starting post Zoesha Smith for the year with an ACL. Smith was averaging nearly 10 pts a game and 5 rebounds. Tell me, wise one, how would we be fairing in conference play if we lost either MA Harper? They have gone on to drop games against 15-3 Alabama, road contests with Florida, Missouri (11-7) and then to Ole Miss (13-5).

No one in the SEC is a bad team. Texas AM is 14-4. Only losses are to Purdue, LSU, South Carolina and @UGA (pre Smith injury). Smith had a great line against us - and is probably the single reason they squeaked out the win. She had 8 pts 6 rebounds 3 asts and 4 steals and really limited Harper with her physicality.

But yeah, some context to why - after a measly 5-6 games - the two teams - which I’ve never said were great to begin with, always claimed that they were on Purdue’s level (IE middle of the pack SEC teams) hence why both games were extremely competitive - find themselves at the bottom of one of the toughest leagues in the country.

But they are still SEC teams which means they are still considered good OOC competition for a team that I’ve always claimed to be a mid level P5 team, that would struggle to make the bubble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brya31

Also - just learned that UF has been without Kyle and her 12 pts; 9 rebounds per game - since midway through their 2nd SEC game vs Vanderbilt. She has been out with a knee injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT