ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs. IU THREAD

There are a handful of women making NIL off their play on court at this time. Less than a dozen. Quit lying your ass off to make yourself look like you know something when you just don't. And if you are advocating for KG to act like Frese and Crean, we have nothing more to talk about because that is encouraging win at all costs and knowingly accepting your coach is just using these kids for her benefit and not concerned about them as people and is a scumbag and you don't care..... I don't want that at Purdue and once it becomes obvious KG is doing that I will walk away, as will many other women's fans who don't watch the men anymore because that type or moral decay is the norm there already.

So you’re saying you’re gonna walk away once we become good again because we have a coach who uses an avenue of getting good players in while ushering bad players to go to their appropriate level of basketball so they can actually play the game they love instead of rotting on the bench - ruining their 4 year career.

Got it. Hope that day comes.

So you’re saying you’re gonna walk away once we become good again because we have a coach who uses an avenue of getting good players in while ushering bad players to go to their appropriate level of basketball so they can actually play the game they love instead of rotting on the bench - ruining their 4 year career.

Got it. Hope that day comes.
I am saying I don't support scumbags that use people for their own benefit because that is morally reprehensible and shows a lack of character for the institution and any fans that support it.

I am saying I don't support scumbags that use people for their own benefit because that is morally reprehensible and shows a lack of character for the institution and any fans that support it.

Wow so basketball coaches don’t use players for their own benefit. Their entire career is based on doing that. If they don’t win. They are out of a job, the players win the games. Lisa Bluder is probably going to retire after Clark hangs it up. That one player gave her a HOF career, she will go down as one of the coaching greats because that one player decided to go there.

Players use schools in the same way, it’s literally the fundamental building block of sports. Athletes and coaches use each other all the time

Michael I don't think that coach Geralds or the athletic dept care weather you approve of anything unless you are giving millions of dollars to the dept. Geralds will do what she feels she has to do to make significant progress and if it isn't what works than she will get replaced.
It may make you feel better to vent any frustrations but it isn't going to change what happens

Michael I don't think that coach Geralds or the athletic dept care weather you approve of anything unless you are giving millions of dollars to the dept. Geralds will do what she feels she has to do to make significant progress and if it isn't what works than she will get replaced.
It may make you feel better to vent any frustrations but it isn't going to change what happens

Let him live in his own fairytale land of thinking any fan gives a shit about how a coach gets players as long as they do it legally. It’s truly something 😂

Hopefully they can get as 3/4 as many assists as Terry gets too, because a pg that scores but doesn't distribute would be worse than what we have.
Purdue needs to do better at this position, watch the men’s team, that’s what a PG looks like, in the women’s game the PG needs to score, Terry leaves Purdue short handed on offense. She’s a nice reserve, on a good team she’s not a starter, Purdue needs to improve in most of their starting positions, hopefully, incoming recruits and the portal players likely brought in will. Also, the days of Creaning are over, players since they don’t have to sit out often leave on their own, every school including the best ones have turnover that’s the nature of the beast these days.

Hopefully they can get as 3/4 as many assists as Terry gets too, because a pg that scores but doesn't distribute would be worse than what we have.
Michael, Terry also is turning the ball over quite often as well, yesterday 4 turnovers to 6 assists, against Maryland 5 turnovers, she’s averaging 3 turnovers to 5.7 assists, that’s not an ideal ratio considering many teams sag on her when she has the ball because of her lack of scoring. If this team is going to get to the level we as fans hope for this is one of many positions they have to improve in.

Purdue needs to do better at this position, watch the men’s team, that’s what a PG looks like, in the women’s game the PG needs to score, Terry leaves Purdue short handed on offense. She’s a nice reserve, on a good team she’s not a starter, Purdue needs to improve in most of their starting positions, hopefully, incoming recruits and the portal players likely brought in will. Also, the days of Creaning are over, players since they don’t have to sit out often leave on their own, every school including the best ones have turnover that’s the nature of the beast these days.
I have said all year we don't have a player that could earn significant minutes on a top 10 team..... maybe a top 20. Terry is less than ideal, but as you pointed out she has near to a 2-1 assist to TO ratio, ranks in the top 25 in the women's game in assists AND leads teh team in rebounds per game. You keep bringing up the men's game, you might as well compare to the NFL because there are radical differences in how the men's and women's games are played and until you grasp that really basic concept, you are never going to understand the women's game.

Oh, and BTW, B. Smith for the men is in the top 3 in the nation as a point guard for the men, so yeah, of course he has better stats. Playing with Edey also kind of pads his assists too don't you think? Now compare to who Terry has to pass to. She can't get assists when her teammates don't score. Your constant harping on this shows a complete lack of understanding of the game and how to read stats and no clue about what you are talking about.

Agreed to be a ranked team we need a better point guard. To be a ranked team we need better players at every position, there might be 3 players on the roster, and they are all freshmen and maybe Terry on some teams, that could earn reserve minutes on a top 25 team. The in game coaching also needs drastic improvement, as shown by the last possession in both the UMinn and Rutgers games. The offensive scheme needs upgraded to be a consistent top 25 contender..... quit just focusing on one of the best if not the best player on the team to bitch about out of your complete ignorance. Yes, I would love to have a scoring point guard, but I am not excited about next year not having Terry and hoping Jones learns or the freshmen know how to get assists, because right now Jones is below 1 in assist to turnover ratio.

Last edited:
I have said all year we don't have a player that could earn significant minutes on a top 10 team..... maybe a top 20. Terry is less than ideal, but as you pointed out she has near to a 2-1 assist to TO ratio, ranks in the top 25 in the women's game in assists AND leads teh team in rebounds per game. You keep bringing up the men's game, you might as well compare to the NFL because there are radical differences in how the men's and women's games are played and until you grasp that really basic concept, you are never going to understand the women's game.

Agreed to be a ranked team we need a better point guard. To be a ranked team we need better players at every position, there might be 3 players on the roster, and they are all freshmen, that could earn reserve minutes on a top 25 team. The in game coaching also needs drastic improvement, as shown by the last possession in both the UMinn and Rutgers games. The offensive scheme needs upgraded to be a consistent top 25 contender..... quit just focusing on one of the best if not the best player on the team to bitch about out of your complete ignorance. Yes, I would love to have a scoring point guard, but I am not excited about next year not having Terry and hoping Jones learns or the freshmen know how to get assists, because right now Jones is below 1 in assist to turnover ratio.
Ignorance? What’s wrong with you? I’ve never once said anything remotely like that to you. Look, no doubt, I favor the men’s game, something that for some reason you don’t. However, I watch women hoops, have for years, I said Terry is a capable reserve, if you think she’s a 35 minute player and best player on the team more power to you, I sure don’t see it. I see a player that has good skills in rebounding, I also see a player that can’t score, makes goofy passes, silly fouls etc. if she’s the Boilers best that explains why the team is underperforming.

Ignorance? What’s wrong with you? I’ve never once said anything remotely like that to you. Look, no doubt, I favor the men’s game, something that for some reason you don’t. However, I watch women hoops, have for years, I said Terry is a capable reserve, if you think she’s a 35 minute player and best player on the team more power to you, I sure don’t see it. I see a player that has good skills in rebounding, I also see a player that can’t score, makes goofy passes, silly fouls etc. if she’s the Boilers best that explains why the team is underperforming.
If I can prove it to you that there are not a dozen better women's point guards in the nation this year in assists and scoring will you move on to another crusade that you don't know about?

Definitely agree

Reactions: Gesysp
If I can prove it to you that there are not a dozen better women's point guards in the nation this year in assists and scoring will you move on to another crusade that you don't know about?
I know what I watch Michael, in no way is she one of the top 12 PG’s in the nation, she plays a crap ton of minutes, between pts and assists she’s averaging 10.8 pts a game, that’s in close to 35 minutes, also, there’s the turnovers and bonehead plays that I’ve watched, one such play gave Minnesota the game.

Reactions: Larry77 and Gesysp
Definitely agree
Michael has no problem trashing on other players, when it comes to Terry he’s quiet. I actually don’t hate her as a player, she surely isn’t a PG though that’s going to start on a good team, it’s like Purdue is short handed on offense when she comes up the court, she can’t score, these days you need a PG to keep a team honest, that’s not her game.

Michael has no problem trashing on other players, when it comes to Terry he’s quiet. I actually don’t hate her as a player, she surely isn’t a PG though that’s going to start on a good team, it’s like Purdue is short handed on offense when she comes up the court, she can’t score, these days you need a PG to keep a team honest, that’s not her game.
I do not disagree that we could have a better point guard. And while she falls just outside the top 12, she is top 20 in the nation in points and assists. I just hate seeing people rag on ONLY Terry when Terry is probably the biggest reason for the previous two years winning records and the best player on the team. I have already agreed we could have a better point guard, but Caitlyn Clark is not showing up next year. No other player on this team is top 50 in their position, but you ONLY go after the one that is ranked among the best 20 nationally. Terry was the only player to get mentioned on any All Big Ten team last year. I still think next year a lot of you throwing rocks at Terry will be wailing about how poor our pg play is and how you miss Terry.

I was at the game today - tremendous atmosphere, great crowd though not quite a sellout. Probably 35% plus were IU fans & they were loud.
Best moment of the game was when Jones hit that 30+ foot shot at the end of Q3 just beating the shot clock. I honestly thought the roof was gonna blow off Mackey! The roar was deafening!!

Madison Layden played a superb game - faster than I’ve ever seen her move. Aggressive, drove the basket a couple times, played with high energy. That version of her is needed EVERY game.

IU’s 3-point shooting was other-worldly today. Garzon was money from 3 along with Chloe M-M. At one point their 3-pt percentage was like 77% !! Hard to beat that, although some of their looks were wide open. They played TIGHT perimeter defense and honestly I thought Purdue handled it decently most of the game.

Purdue looked the best I’ve seen them so far this year. Hope today’s effort and (most of their) execution can be sustained. They looked more connected & joyful today. Boiler Up gals!

Absolutely, I expect Steveson to improve, but not to the point she is scoring 21 ppg and pulling down 10rpg on average every night. That is what it would take to replace Caitlyn Harper AND her current production combined. Then there is Terry's 8 rpg to be addressed that likely won't come from the guards.........

As it is we would have 7 posts on the roster in two years.... that is too many already. I don't think we need to add anymore unless Alaina and Mila voluntarily leave. Otherwise getting 6-10ppg and 4-8 rbg from the frosh and having them play good D should not be too much to ask if they are moderately competent. I am not asking for too much, especially from a big girl that handles like a guard, has great quickness and has the ability to score at all three levels (according to your eval of McCarthy) ;) <lighten up Francis, that was just a joke>

And if KG starts spring Creaning I won't support her at all. That is scumbag behavior and I don't want any coach at my school treating players like disposable cattle like that.
I think one thing that gets overlooked is college coaches are not the only one responsible for the growth and development of their players. The player has responsibility in that. You do understand that these scholarships are actually renewed on an annual basis, right? If no issues, the player remains. But if issues are present, say the player didn’t work to develop and grow, the coach can cut them loose. This isn’t treating them like they’re disposable, it’s called holding them accountable. The coach/player relationship is transactional. They are being paid through a free education and NIL. The players have a responsibility here, not just the coach. The game has evolved in that there are a lot of players benefitting from NIL and it is a business now. Coaches can commit to players and then be approached for a better job and leave their team. Players can commit to a program, decide not to work and grow their game, be cut loose or enter the portal voluntarily. CKG should not and will not be bound by a one-way commitment to the players because they too have to be committed to her. Both have to be dedicated. She has to make changes that are necessary for the program to be successful. And that means cutting kids loose if they aren’t performing. Thats life. She won’t tank a program because she refuses to let kids go. Because if she fails to address players then she won’t be the head coach very long.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gesysp
I do not disagree that we could have a better point guard. And while she falls just outside the top 12, she is top 20 in the nation in points and assists. I just hate seeing people rag on ONLY Terry when Terry is probably the biggest reason for the previous two years winning records and the best player on the team. I have already agreed we could have a better point guard, but Caitlyn Clark is not showing up next year. No other player on this team is top 50 in their position, but you ONLY go after the one that is ranked among the best 20 nationally. Terry was the only player to get mentioned on any All Big Ten team last year. I still think next year a lot of you throwing rocks at Terry will be wailing about how poor our pg play is and how you miss Terry.
Thank you…look, I got no problems with you, I will never call you names even if we disagree, for the most part I agree with you, Terry is one aspect we don’t. Anyway, I’m done for tonight, my 6 week year old wants attention, being 53 with a newborn is tiresome lol

Reactions: MichaelRR
Thank you…look, I got no problems with you, I will never call you names even if we disagree, for the most part I agree with you, Terry is one aspect we don’t. Anyway, I’m done for tonight, my 6 week year old wants attention, being 53 with a newborn is tiresome lol
Oh my lord, I cannot even imagine.... Good luck to you sir.

I think one thing that gets overlooked is college coaches are not the only one responsible for the growth and development of their players. The player has responsibility in that. You do understand that these scholarships are actually renewed on an annual basis, right? If no issues, the player remains. But if issues are present, say the player didn’t work to develop and grow, the coach can cut them lose. This isn’t treating them like they’re disposable, it’s called holding them accountable. The coach/player relationship is transactional. They are being paid through a free education and NIL. The players have a responsibility here, not just the coach. The game has evolved in that there are a lot of players benefitting from NIL and it is a business now. Coaches can commit to players and then be approached for a better job and leave their team. Players can commit to a program, decide not to work and grow their game, be cut loose or enter the portal voluntarily. CKG should not and will not be bound by a one-way commitment to the players because they too have to be committed to her. Both have to be dedicated. She has to make changes that are necessary for the program to be successful. And that means cutting kids lose if they aren’t performing. Thats life. She won’t tank a program because she refuses to let kids go. Because if she fails to address players then she won’t be the head coach very long.
Alaina and Mila are the same players Katie offered. That she did not recognize how limited they were is more on her than them. I have no problem pulling a ship if a player is loafing in practice, perennially late, spreading rumors, or some other active form of failing to live up to their end of the agreement. But when you offer players who are not good enough, as long as they are trying their best I think it is unconscionable to disrupt their whole lives over a game. A Purdue degree still carries a lot more prestige than a Ball State or Arkansas Pine Bluff or wherever those two might end up. That is where we differ. Especially with 15 scholarships available, culling players like sheep is just morally reprehensible IMO unless there is a reason beyond "they are not as good as I want them to be."

There will likely be defections on their own, but pushing players out the way its rumored KG has will and indeed has come back to bite her. How much better would this team be with Learn's 12ppg instead of Alaina's 1.1? But KG thought she could do better and pushed her out according to rumors. Gearlds controls playing time, if she wants to get rid of someone, lose them on the bench, but don't play them all year and then yank the ship at the end saying "ha ha, fooled you".

One last question for you Terry haters, how many fewer wins would we have if she had stayed at UIll or gone somewhere else? Don't say we would have gotten someone else, if she is as bad as you all want to say, if KG could have gotten better she would have....................... Would KG have a single winning season without Terry? I don't think so.

I don't hate Terry. I hate her turnovers. I actually agree with you for the most part. She is probably the best rebounder on the team. She has actually started hitting her 10-15 foot shot the past few games. She is a pretty good ball handler with decent court vision. But for whatever reason 3 to 6 times a game she'll make a pass that has no chance of being completed. Some of them are ridiculously bad. This team is not good enough to absorb those kind of turnovers and still win. That's why I want the ball in someone else's hands the majority of the time. I still want Terry on the court just as the secondary ball handler.

I also agree with Michael about not running players off. Coach Gearlds has 15 spots available. That's plenty of spots to absorb a recruiting miss or two. If a player is doing what they are supposed to.....I totally disagree with running that player off just because they haven't developed the way we hoped.

• Love
Reactions: MichaelRR
I don't hate Terry. I hate her turnovers. I actually agree with you for the most part. She is probably the best rebounder on the team. She has actually started hitting her 10-15 foot shot the past few games. She is a pretty good ball handler with decent court vision. But for whatever reason 3 to 6 times a game she'll make a pass that has no chance of being completed. Some of them are ridiculously bad. This team is not good enough to absorb those kind of turnovers and still win. That's why I want the ball in someone else's hands the majority of the time. I still want Terry on the court just as the secondary ball handler.

I also agree with Michael about not running players off. Coach Gearlds has 15 spots available. That's plenty of spots to absorb a recruiting miss or two. If a player is doing what they are supposed to.....I totally disagree with running that player off just because they haven't developed the way we hoped.
I totally agree about the bad passes, but I think its more 2-3, it just feels worse sometimes. ;) I have to believe KG is competent enough as a coach that she is putting her best 5 out there, but even I would not be opposed to changing things up for a game and start Jones and move Terry to SF just to see how it played out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT