ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs. Quincy (Exhibition) THREAD

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Purdue is in action for an exhibition matchup with Quincy this afternoon in Mackey Arena.

If you’re not going to the game, it can be viewed on B1G+. I’ve attached the viewing link below.

What are you looking for in the game?

Reactions: Russ Ford
So what is the status of Swanson? I assumed she was redshirting but KG talked like she would be playing yet she has 0 minutes in a 60 pt blowout. I’m confused.

KG's substitution patterns were haphazard and confusing the last two years, have you not noticed?
Oh give it up….You have done nothing but whine since CKG was hired. First it was she wasn’t even a good player while here at Purdue. Then it was she didn’t have enough coaching experienc. Then she wouldn’t be able to recruit in Indiana because none oh the H.S. Coaches would even know who KG was let alone care. Then she would never be able to put together a decent staff. As no one would want to work for a nobody so she would never be able to recruit…Nada…Nada…Nada. How’s that seem to be working out for you?

Oh give it up….You have done nothing but whine since CKG was hired. First it was she wasn’t even a good player while here at Purdue. Then it was she didn’t have enough coaching experienc. Then she wouldn’t be able to recruit in Indiana because none oh the H.S. Coaches would even know who KG was let alone care. Then she would never be able to put together a decent staff. As no one would want to work for a nobody so she would never be able to recruit…Nada…Nada…Nada. How’s that seem to be working out for you?
Argumentum Absurdum

Taking things I did say and stretching them far beyond their intent to intentionally deceive or lie about what someone's points were.

I never said she wasn't a good player, I said she was not a great all around player because as she even admitted after graduating she did not put much effort into defense under Curry. Gearlds was a pretty good shooter, no doubts about it, but if you don't play both ends of the floor you really aren't a great player IMO.

I still think she was a very lazy hire made by an AD that doesn't care about women's basketball and I still think she lacked the experience for this job. I am not yet convinced. I hope she continues to do well, but we shall see in a couple of years.

I did not say she would not be able to recruit Indiana, what I said was she likely did not have the connections and reputation some of her rabid fans on here ascribed to her for being an NAIA coach or from her playing career 15 years ago or so.

I did state I worried about her ability to hire staff because of her lack of connections in D1 ball, and her first year it seemed to bear out as she retained two of the former staff (who if not complicit in the abuse scandal turned a blind eye to it) and her only hires were internal or from Marion. I am very happy with the two new coaches, and only a little disappointed that we are once again going into the season without all the staff we could have.

I am more than willing to have an honest and open debate. I will not let your lies stand unchallenged however. IF you think you know so much, lets see your prediction for this season in that thread.

Argumentum Absurdum

Taking things I did say and stretching them far beyond their intent to intentionally deceive or lie about what someone's points were.

I never said she wasn't a good player, I said she was not a great all around player because as she even admitted after graduating she did not put much effort into defense under Curry. Gearlds was a pretty good shooter, no doubts about it, but if you don't play both ends of the floor you really aren't a great player IMO.

I still think she was a very lazy hire made by an AD that doesn't care about women's basketball and I still think she lacked the experience for this job. I am not yet convinced. I hope she continues to do well, but we shall see in a couple of years.

I did not say she would not be able to recruit Indiana, what I said was she likely did not have the connections and reputation some of her rabid fans on here ascribed to her for being an NAIA coach or from her playing career 15 years ago or so.

I did state I worried about her ability to hire staff because of her lack of connections in D1 ball, and her first year it seemed to bear out as she retained two of the former staff (who if not complicit in the abuse scandal turned a blind eye to it) and her only hires were internal or from Marion. I am very happy with the two new coaches, and only a little disappointed that we are once again going into the season without all the staff we could have.

I am more than willing to have an honest and open debate. I will not let your lies stand unchallenged however. IF you think you know so much, lets see your prediction for this season in that thread.
Evidently your post about not attacking other posters just their content does not apply to you…Hmmmmm… Imagine that. Which of those things I posted did you not post about-let alone did I simply make up a “lie“? I welcome your specifics. And I skipped your post that CKG’s jersey /number should not even be hanging in Mackey except for “certain powers that be“ had to change the rules simply to get Katie up there… I do notice there are others that agreed with my post…Evidently remembering your posts as well. Or are we Liars all??
My post was simply to point out that your comments have not weathered well so far… As for twisting the facts, we all know neither Katie nor anyone else expected Katie would have the head coaching job that first year let alone inherit it so unexpectedly near season opening. Tell us, would you have preferred she fire the entire coaching staff that close to Season Openers? I thought Katie was very clear how appreciative she was of Versyp’s Staff for being willing to stay on board with her while she was learning the administrative portion of running a B1G team but I heard no one come close to hinting Katie was unable to recruit her own staff…well, except you of course. Looks like a pretty good team of Coaches on board to me. Purdue WBB has been infused with excitement since CKG’s hire which in turn has carried over to Purdue WBB fans. Has she won any major championships yet…certainly not. But I would not want to bet against Katie that those days will not come far sooner than anyone should reasonably expect. BTFU!

Evidently your post about not attacking other posters just their content does not apply to you…Hmmmmm… Imagine that. Which of those things I posted did you not post about-let alone did I simply make up a “lie“? I welcome your specifics. And I skipped your post that CKG’s jersey /number should not even be hanging in Mackey except for “certain powers that be“ had to change the rules simply to get Katie up there… I do notice there are others that agreed with my post…Evidently remembering your posts as well. Or are we Liars all??
My post was simply to point out that your comments have not weathered well so far… As for twisting the facts, we all know neither Katie nor anyone else expected Katie would have the head coaching job that first year let alone inherit it so unexpectedly near season opening. Tell us, would you have preferred she fire the entire coaching staff that close to Season Openers? I thought Katie was very clear how appreciative she was of Versyp’s Staff for being willing to stay on board with her while she was learning the administrative portion of running a B1G team but I heard no one come close to hinting Katie was unable to recruit her own staff…well, except you of course. Looks like a pretty good team of Coaches on board to me. Purdue WBB has been infused with excitement since CKG’s hire which in turn has carried over to Purdue WBB fans. Has she won any major championships yet…certainly not. But I would not want to bet against Katie that those days will not come far sooner than anyone should reasonably expect. BTFU!
Show me where I attacked you and not your post.

They did change the rules to hang Katie Gearlds jersey, she is the only one up there who was not a FIRST TEAM ALL AMERICAN. That was the criteria before they changed it so they could hang hers for being third team. Maybe you weren't a fan of the team back then to remember that. Correction, Wright also benefitted form that rule change as she was a second team AA, which was still top 10 players and equivelent to the Kodak AA team that all the rest of the hung jerseys are. They loosened it again for Gearlds as third team AA. So she is still the only one not recognized as one of the ten best in country to have her jersey hung up.

Given the circumstances, yes, I would have preferred none of the staff from the abuse scandal were retained, certainly not for TWO SEASONS.

KG has done well so far, but until we get through at least year 4 or 5 I am not calling it a good hire. I've seen what happened with Curry and Versyp by year 5 and I won't be shocked one way or the other if she succeeds or starts failing at that point. She has a good start, but so did Curry and Versyp in their first few years. We shall see. I stand by every statement I made, I just don't stand by the lies some people want to stretch those statements into.

And as for Russ Ford agreeing with you, color me shocked!!! He doesn't post, but he agrees with Pride on most of his attack posts just like he did yours and brays like a donkey on mine. I'd give him a lot more credit if he had the courage to post his own thoughts rather then hide behind others. (if that is taken as an attack, I apologize, hard to post those thoughts without them having some edge to them. I am attempting to call out his behavior, not his character though)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford

National Awards​

National Player of the Year (2)​

Wade Trophy (1)​

• Stephanie White (1999)

All-American Consensus Selections (7)​

Academic All-American First Team Selections (5)​

• Sue Bartz (1982)
  • Carol Emanuel (1983)
  • Stephanie White (1999)
  • Camille Cooper (2001)
  • Katie Douglas (2001)
  • Candice Hall (2001)

National Coach of the Year (1)​

Big Ten Awards​

Player of the Year (8)​

• Joy Holmes (1991)
  • MaChelle Joseph (1992)
  • Stacey Lovelace (1995)
  • Jannon Roland (1997)
  • Stephanie White (1999)
  • Katie Douglas (2000, 2001)
  • Shereka Wright (2004)

Suzy Favor Female Athlete of the Year (4)​

• Joy Holmes (1991)
  • MaChelle Joseph (1992)
  • Stephanie White (1999)
  • Katie Douglas (2001)

Chicago Tribune Silver Basketball Recipient (6)​

• Joy Holmes (1991)
  • MaChelle Joseph (1992)
  • Stacey Lovelace (1995)
  • Jannon Roland (1997)
  • Stephanie White (1999)
  • Katie Douglas (2001)

Defensive Player of the Year (4)​

• Kelly Komara (2002)
  • Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton (2007)
  • Ae'Rianna Harris (2018, 2019) - the first two-time winner in Purdue history.

6th Player of the Year (2)​

• Brittany Rayburn (2009)
  • Whitney Bays (2014)

Freshman of the Year (3)​

• MaChelle Joseph (1989)
  • Leslie Johnson (1994)
  • Katie Gearlds (2004)

• No. 50 will hang from the rafters of Mackey Arena this winter.

On Nov. 21, Shereka Wright’s former number will be hung, making her the sixth Purdue women’s basketball player to be honored by a jersey banner.

Coach Kristy Curry thinks the honor is deserved.

"You see a lot of people who have numbers, but Shereka actually backed those numbers

up with victories," Curry said. "She

was never so caught up in herself; she represented something bigger than herself."

Wright finished her Boilermaker career last spring, ending up No. 2 on the Purdue all-time scoring list with 2,251 points. Immediately after the end of her season, Wright’s jersey number had no chance of getting honored.
    • A Purdue rule stated only women who were Kodak All-Americans are hung up. The Kodak All-America team honors the 10 best players in the nation, and Wright made honorable mention for the team.

• She was, however, honored by the Associated Press as one of the best 10 players in the nation by being named on the second-team All-America team.

The men’s team’s standard for honoring players included being on the Associated Press teams. So the rule was changed, allowing Wright to be honored.
      FROM Michael: So the rule had recently been changed to add the AP All American list, but you still had to be top ten in the nation. The rule was changed again to give KG an exception for being third team AA You will also notice Gearlds only other recognition amongst Purdue greats is for her three point shooting which I did not go down that far and freshman of the year.

Super surprised by the lack of minutes Mila is getting
Agree. Especially for an exhibition game. One of the core challenges for CKG is her decision to recruit sisters AND what will soon be 4 players from the same high school, who all will have played for the same high school coach. Mishandle one athlete and it could cost you four. Reynolds family appears to be well respected in Indiana with deep ties to the AAU world.

Reactions: MichaelRR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT