ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue VB Finishes Non-Conf Season 9-1

DocRon

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Sheridan , Michigan
It was good to watch the VB game yesterday after the devastating football loss. Purdue dispatched the MAC favorite Ball State 3-0 and won the Stacey Clark Classic (again - 5 years straight since its inception.) That's not to say that it was easy.

The 1st set was no match as Purdue drubbed the Cardinals 25-11. But in the 2nd set, filled with Boiler errors (9), Ball State held the lead throughtout much of the match up to 23-20 until Purdue scored 5 straight points to win 25-23. Kills by Hudson and Koch were instrumental along with great serves by Hornung.

The 3rd set was the most exciting set I have seen in awhile. Former star libero for Purdue (2005-2008) Kelli Miller Phillips had her women primed for the final set and both teams held leads throughout the set with 14 ties and 4 lead changes. The Cardinals came up with two set points at 24-23 and 25-24 but could not get past the Purdue defense for the winning score. Purdue then had two match points at 27-26 and 28-27 but failed to get the next point. Finally, at a 28-28 tie, Eva Hudson took over with a kill and then a solo block for the win 30-28.

Eva Hudson was named the MVP of the Tournament with 16 kills, 2 aces, 4 blocks, 9 digs, 20.5 pts and a hitting % of 0.220 but uncharacteristicly 9 errors. Ellis had 9 kills with only 3 errors for a hitting % of 0.300. Koch also had 9 kills with only 2 errors for a 0.412%. All three were named to the All-Tournament team. Colvin also stood out having 7 blocks along with 2 aces and 5 kills but also had 7 errors for a -0.105 hitting %..

Dave sounded pleased with the win but you have to worry about how error prone the team has been in the last few matches (21 last night). We will need to be better when we face Minnesota next Friday in Holloway. (And heaven help us if during the season Hudson gets injured!)

Last edited:
It was good to watch the VB game yesterday after the devastating football loss. Purdue dispatched the MAC favorite Ball State 3-0 and won the Stacey Clark Classic (again - 5 years straight since its inception.) That's not to say that it was easy.

The 1st set was no match as Purdue drubbed the Cardinals 25-11. But in the 2nd set, filled with Boiler errors (9), Ball State held the lead throughtout much of the match up to 23-20 until Purdue scored 5 straight points to win 25-23. Kills by Hudson and Koch were instrumental along with great serves by Hornung.

The 3rd set was the most exciting set I have seen in awhile. Former star libero for Purdue (2005-2008) Kelli Miller Phillips had her women primed for the final set and both teams held leads throughout the set with 14 ties and 4 lead changes. The Cardinals came up with two set points at 24-23 and 25-24 but could not get past the Purdue defense for the winning score. Purdue then had two match points at 27-26 and 28-27 but failed to get the next point. Finally, at a 28-28 tie, Eva Hudson took over with a kill and then a solo block for the win 30-28.

Eva Hudson was named the MVP of the Tournament with 16 kills, 2 aces, 4 blocks, 9 digs, 20.5 pts and a hitting % of 0.220 but uncharacteristicly 9 errors. Ellis had 9 kills with only 3 errors for a hitting % of 0.300. Koch also had 9 kills with only 2 errors for a 0.412%. All three were named to the All-Tournament team. Colvin also stood out having 7 blocks along with 2 aces and 5 kills but also had 7 errors for a -0.105 hitting %..

Dave sounded pleased with the win but you have to worry about how error prone the team has been in the last few matches (21 last night). We will need to be better when we face Minnesota next Friday in Holloway. (And heaven help us if Hudson gets injured!)

Reactions: Boilermb and DocRon
Maddy Chin was in uniform last night without the boot, so she probably will be ready for the Minnesota game on Friday.
I listened to Coach Shondell’s pre match comments in the J Nine Club. He said that Maddy Chin really wanted to play against Ball State because Ball State’s #7 Natalie Risi is one of her best friends. (From their bios it looks like they were high school teammates.) Shondell said that he wasn’t sure that was going to happen. Chin participated in the pre match spiking line, but did not get into the match.

Reactions: DocRon
Today 9/18 #4 Wisconsin swept unranked Rhode Island 3-0 and #2 Nebraska swept #13 Kentucky 3-0 but #5 Ohio State got swept 0-3 by #12 Pitt.

The only undefeated team in the B1G going into league play is Penn State at 11-0. And Taylor Trammel is a major reason.

Last edited:
Today 9/18 #4 Wisconsin swept unranked Rhode Island 3-0 and #2 Nebraska swept #13 Kentucky 3-0 but #5 Ohio State got swept 0-3 by #12 Pitt.

The only undefeated team in the B1G going into league play is Penn State at 11-0. And Taylor Trammel is a major reason.

2. Nebraska
4. Wisconsin
5. Ohio State
6. Minnesota
7. Georgia Tech
9. Stanford
13. Kentucky
17. Creighton
21. Western Kentucky
23. Kansas
25. Illinois

And here are the ranked teams that lost at least once this week. It could be a wild week in tomorrow’s AVCA poll:

2. Nebraska
4. Wisconsin
5. Ohio State
6. Minnesota
7. Georgia Tech
9. Stanford
13. Kentucky
17. Creighton
21. Western Kentucky
23. Kansas
25. Illinois
Oh. My. Wild week indeed! Thanks for all the reporting Doc. I saw where Florida went into Wisconsin and beat them in 5 sets, in front of a record crowd at the Kohl Center. Something like 16,000 + I think. Just freaking amazing!

Maddy Chin was in uniform last night without the boot, so she probably will be ready for the Minnesota game on Friday.
I was watching her-she was pretty ”limpy” and definitely favored her hurt ankle. Hope she is ready to go. I love Ellis but MC is more reliable imo. Either way we need all hitters healthy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT