ADVERTISEMENT

Mahri Petree commits to Purdue

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
BREAKING: Purdue lands UTEP transfer wing Mahri Petree.

The sixth-year senior averaged 8.3 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.5 assists for the Miners last season.

Her sister, Lasha Petree, played with the Boilers in 2022-23.

It would of been nice to land a more proven shooter, but I like the strategy of having transfers who are good but not heads and shoulders above the underclassmen to the point where they don't get the minutes they need to grow. You could even argue one of the transfers comes off the bench.

Two athletic guard/wings that at the very least should help us stay in front of our opponents on defense.

Do we expect anyone else to transfer out still? It feels like they may have already done so if they were going to.

It would of been nice to land a more proven shooter, but I like the strategy of having transfers who are good but not heads and shoulders above the underclassmen to the point where they don't get the minutes they need to grow. You could even argue one of the transfers comes off the bench.

Two athletic guard/wings that at the very least should help us stay in front of our opponents on defense.

Do we expect anyone else to transfer out still? It feels like they may have already done so if they were going to.
I don’t expect anyone else to leave, barring a big surprise.

Petree will come off the bench and I tend to think Lombard could as well. The latter will have an opportunity to compete for the starting job though.

Hard to understand the use of the portal to bring in marginal players at best. If this is the best Purdue can due then they have the wrong coach.
Starting to have those thoughts as well. Nothing wrong I guess if Petree is a role/speciality player, however, Purdue needs to get a difference maker, so far neither of the two are. Both could be nice adds but at the least they need Bass to help underneath, I would like to see a scorer/combo guard as well. It’s also possible that Purdue’s NIL for the women isn’t up to snuff.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Starting to have those thoughts as well. Nothing wrong I guess if Petree is a role/speciality player, however, Purdue needs to get a difference maker, so far neither of the two are. Both could be nice adds but at the least they need Bass to help underneath, I would like to see a scorer/combo guard as well. It’s also possible that Purdue’s NIL for the women isn’t up to snuff.
Its about what I expected going into the portal season. We have an unknown coach with three years total of D1 experience and only a couple games over a .500 record coming off a losing season. Why anyone expects difference makers to even return her calls amazes me. Right now, I don't think we have moved the needle enough to make a single game difference in the won lost record next year. By Christmas I expect Poole and Amiyah will pass by Lombardi, and Petree appears to me to be only a slightly better version of Monson probably would have been this year if she had stayed and nothing makes me believe she is going to be better than the combination of Poole, Amiyah, Jones, McKenna, Smith, and Swanson, who are the players that she will be taking minutes from. So we have gotten two fifth year seniors that may not take well to sitting at the end of the bench messing with chemistry that really don't seem to be the kind of players that will make an impact in the Big Ten. I am thoroughly unimpressed, but not surprised.

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Its about what I expected going into the portal season. We have an unknown coach with three years total of D1 experience and only a couple games over a .500 record coming off a losing season. Why anyone expects difference makers to even return her calls amazes me. Right now, I don't think we have moved the needle enough to make a single game difference in the won lost record next year. By Christmas I expect Poole and Amiyah will pass by Lombardi, and Petree appears to me to be only a slightly better version of Monson probably would have been this year if she had stayed and nothing makes me believe she is going to be better than the combination of Poole, Amiyah, Jones, McKenna, Smith, and Swanson, who are the players that she will be taking minutes from. So we have gotten two fifth year seniors that may not take well to sitting at the end of the bench messing with chemistry that really don't seem to be the kind of players that will make an impact in the Big Ten. I am thoroughly unimpressed, but not surprised.
They’ll add another player or two, hopefully, they get the big in Bass, we’ll see.

I think you hit the nail on the head. They arent good enough to get wow type players. Plus if the men and football struggled with NIL (pack, caraway, etc.) I would doubt the women have a sizeable war chest compared to other schools. But I dont know who is to blame if there is anyone for Purdue falling behind the pack across the board on that front.

After seeing who theyve targeted, CKG has to be putting her trust in the freshs and sophs... Which I will for now be optimistic about.

The opportunity to get a taste of excellence drew UTEP transfer Mahri Petree to her new home at Purdue.

Petree discusses her decision with Boiler Upload.

"They've got this unique atmosphere of excellence and it's tangible”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT