ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Rutgers Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Purdue travels to Piscataway, New Jersey to take on Rutgers this evening. Tip scheduled for 7:00 (Eastern time) with television coverage on FSI. This is another big conference road challenge for the Boilers as the 14-th ranked Scarlet Knights have an inside outside game and an imposing physical backcourt. Ron Harper Jr. is averaging 23.4 pts and 7.1 rebounds a game, and along with Jacob Young who is averaging 15.9 pts, 5.6 assists, and 2.4 steals, they will give Purdue all they can handle. Geo Baker is working back into form from the bench, but he has also given Purdue fits in the past.

Trevion Williams and Zach Edey present some issues for Rutgers frontcourt of Myles Johnson and Paul Mulcahy, and if Purdue can stay out of foul trouble - the Boilers can stay in the game and control some of the tempo. Eric Hunter, Jr., Sasha Stefanovic, Brandon Newman, and Jaden Ivey need to be efficient with scoring and run a disciplined offense tonight. On the other end, they'll need to make Harper, Young, Mathis, and Baker work for everything they get. Mason Gillis has provided another spark in the front-court over the last several games - impressive for a first-year player. Purdue will need solid production from him as well.

If they can limit the turnovers and hold their own on the glass, I think the Boilers can stay in it......but they can't afford the poor stretches that have inevitably transpired over the course of a game. To do it, the Boilers will need to play their best game of the year, and go out and take it. Can they break through?

We shall see, starting in about an hour or so.

Boiler up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i

Thanks for the update. Yes, that is a big loss for Rutgers....still a tough challenge for Purdue to breakthrough on the road, but this does give them a better shot.
expect a war. Rutgers will increase teh focus and intensity and Purdue will fall short if they relax. Team loaded with youth still trying to figure things out. Capable of beating Rutger with Harper and capable of losing to Rutger without Harper. Harper is very good, but Purdue's best sometimes falls away to its worse play...but the players are getting better. Still, it is an advantage to Purdue to not play them with Harper...if Purdue plays as though there is no advantage. Does Ivy take a step? Purdue needs help early in the year while the youth is maturing, but part of me wishes Harper was playing. Winning then is even a bigger deal... ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT