ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Northwestern (Game Thread)

Shows our record is the best after 27 games since 87-88.

Yes - that team did not lose its fourth game until the last game of the season, and I personally witnessed it. :(

FreshMammothBee-max-1mb.gif

I wonder if that was on purpose? I would like him to bank more shots. More room for error through contact

I would as well. I'm going to initially guess not on purpose as it was straight on and you usually don't see an intended bank on that unless it's a leaner or runner. I'd also love to see him try a jump/sky hook option.....you've got some connections, TJ. Get someone to call Kareem or Walton. :)

What I like about this team is that Purdue is 23-4 and really hasn’t played to its potential. There is a lot of room for this team to be playing better. I have loved all the Purdue teams that have overachieved in the conference season, scrapping and clawing their way to a good seed in the NCAAs, only to run into more talented teams who cruised into the tournament. But, I think that this team has a much better chance to elevate its game to a different level when it matters most.

Can’t stand the refs taking away our big advantage at the 5:

I can see where in some games, that should be called, but with what WASN'T called all game.....man that was remote smashing worthy.....follow it up with a dubious travel on Big Tre the next possession and a head-scratching non-contact over-the-back on Zach Edey earlier......and you have.....well......just another night in the Big Ten. Play through it, and they're a better team.

Just speculating, but this may be one year where the differing NCAA whistle may really help Purdue.

Now.....kindly step off my lawn, TX4GB...... :)

I’m hoping the “excuse” it’s fatigue is true. If not, won’t get through Rutgers, MSU, Wisc, BIG tournament, or very far in NCAA playing like this past week.
Not sure why there would be an excuse needed? If they get beat playing the competition they have& will, and have a 20 +win season Purdue was a good team and had a good season. The kids want to win and whether they play well or not...winning is not a given...especially in the crapshoot of the tourney that has a short window of time playing well. A couple of horrible calls in the tourney on the bigs could make it difficult winning. The big is going through their second round. Teams and players are scouted well and possessions are critical. We have seen that in the last couple of games where Matt had players sacrifice a few fouls to make it difficult for the opposition to score in the last possession of the first half.

Many in the other conferences get some gameday breaks through the season that allows other players to see the court, get experience and have fresh legs. The Big is incredibly tough. Purdue was slow to the ball last night on many loose rebounds and 50-50 balls. Much of the lead lost was due to Matt pulling off the rebounders at the FT line to ensure the team was back for any push in transition. The different feel and site of none of your teammates on the line is probably why Eric and Isaiah missed FTs which ultimately resulted in Purdue not gaining points to counter points by Northwestern.

Hopefully, the team wins Sunday against a team that has good size at all positions, and played incredible D against Illinois yesterday. Rutger Big (Omoruyi) is a very quick jumper that is very athletic. This team has had Purdue's number the last couple of years with last second shots. The team is not only tall, but thick...strong bodies with their top defender at 6'7" that can defend any purdue player outside of Zach and maybe Tre. They are at the top of their game and Sunday should be an outstanding game that I hope Purdue wins so Purdue doesn't become another of those quad 1 wins for Rutger. Rutgers playing well can beat a LOT of good teams. We shall see who Purdue plays against Sunday.

My biggest concern is that I think Matt needs more spacing when inbounding the ball. Take two instead of one across halfcourt. One can be a safety valve if you can't inbound the ball...which I think they can. More space "could" leave a Purdue player getting the ball a bit more on the run and hopefully out of the corner or if close...with more space to operate

Last edited:
I would as well. I'm going to initially guess not on purpose as it was straight on and you usually don't see an intended bank on that unless it's a leaner or runner. I'd also love to see him try a jump/sky hook option.....you've got some connections, TJ. Get someone to call Kareem or Walton. :)
Yeah, I think Zach would be well to bank about all his shots. He has to be strong to fight through the grabbing and holding and then he has to be soft enough when he doesn't use the board to not bounce it off the rim. Most of his shots have an angle, but even those right in front at his height would still be easy to use the board. He has been very effective not using the board all the time, but it just provides a bit more room for error. when fighting through the physical part to have a soft enough shot to go in.

What I like about this team is that Purdue is 23-4 and really hasn’t played to its potential. There is a lot of room for this team to be playing better. I have loved all the Purdue teams that have overachieved in the conference season, scrapping and clawing their way to a good seed in the NCAAs, only to run into more talented teams who cruised into the tournament. But, I think that this team has a much better chance to elevate its game to a different level when it matters most.
All things being equal with coaches ,and I think conference coaching gives the advantage to the poorer team through being more familiar with the other team's approach in general and players specifically making the scores generally closer. In is not uncommon to see similar results in high school sectionals and such. In the tourney coaches and players don't know the opposition as well and unknown talent plays a bigger role. We don't know if different refs in the tourney protect Zach more or see him going over the back and bumping players back down. I too think new blood may be a welcome site to the Boilers...but Purdue has a tough remaining schedule and then the BTT and you hope there is enough rest to get through that first weeked, where they can catch up mentally and physically

we slowed the tempo down, using the clock and became stagnant on O w/ around 4:30 to play.
time and score should always be in play...whether you win by 1 or 15 you want to make sure you win and "clock" even with the shot clock today is still a variable that should be controlled as needed to maximize the desired result

Wow, we had some great teams. I put 87-88 on the pedestal.
Yes indeed, but it’s really easy to see why a lot of the fan base, fair or not, has developed a “final four or bust” mentality for this team because of that history. Starving for some of that November-February magic to show up in March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT