ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Minnesota Game Thread

wrong. you can pivot off a jumpstop on whichever foot you choose first.
If you catch the ball in the air, and land simultaneously on two feet, yes, you can pivot off of one of your choice.

If you catch/gather the ball with one foot on the floor, hop and land on two, no, you can then no longer pivot. Which is what Williams did.

The Purdue Boilermakers are back "on the road again" as they take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers in Williams Arena in a rare week-day afternoon game, with tip re-scheduled for 5:00 pm (Eastern time). Television coverage is on ESPN2.

This is the return match-up between the two teams this season, with Purdue having defeated Minnesota 81-62 back on January 30. Purdue trailed 35-30 at the half and finished with a 51-27 second half blitz to put the game away. Eric Hunter turned in a fine defensive performance on Marcus Carr, but I would expect Carr to have a more productive game in more friendlier confines. Sasha Stefanovic did not play in the first game being out due to COVID-19 protocols, so it will be interesting to see how that changes the game. Since that game, Purdue has split its two games, and Minnesota has done the same.

Purdue needs to be more consistent with its execution. One key stat all year has been turnovers. Interestingly toward that - the Minnesota offense has recorded a turnover on only 15.3 percent of its possessions, which is the 12th-lowest rate in the country. The Purdue defense has forced opposing teams to turn the ball over on just 17.2 percent of all possessions (ranked 287th among Division I teams). So if the Boilers can limit extra possessions on their side (control the glass and limit the mistakes), that will be a key because they can't expect to turn Minnesota over to a large degree. I think it's pretty much the same rest of the formula for the Boilers - make the extra pass, hit the good shots working the paint and the perimeter.....and being able to keep Trevion Williams on the floor to set the tone....when he needs a break - then Zach Edey can come in for relief and not worry about his fouls.

Brandon Newman had a career high 29 points (3rd best freshman performance in school history); can he continue to be a big force on offense today? Eric Hunter and Jaden Ivey will still have their hands full with Marcus Carr and the rest of the Minnesota back-court. I think this will be a highly competitive game much like the first half of the last game....Minnesota is quite capable of breaking through in this game, and they are favored. Can the Boilers start the game like they finished the last one? If so, the Boilers are likely to get another big road win. Regardless, they'll need to make enough big plays when it counts to come out on top. We shall see shortly if they can...

Boiler Up, my friends.

isaachayes1x18x10x05xmc.jpg

i
i
Looks like we have a newby troll in this thread Tex

The ball should have been in Newman's hands, not Sasha's. Sasha didn't have a good game today, and he's not gonna create his own shot...
That last play seemed like it was blown up and not ran the way they wanted it because that was a horrible 3pt effort. Both Newman & Sasha are catch and shoot 3 pt shooters. Newman needs to improve his dribbling if he wants to create for himself.

Did he address why his best 3 point shooter in the past month was on the bench at the end down 3?
I don't think so. But I stopped listening LOL. I do know what he said about the calls. He thought TRE was bumped which may have caused any shoveling of his feet. Not happy about it. But he moved on from it. Game over unfortunately.

Reactions: Schnelk
Almost looked like maybe they were trying to foul Sasha and the refs simply didn’t call it too. Just a bad, bad ending all around to that game.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
This us a big one. Hope Purdue is dominant inside pulling some of the defenders inside, but leery of too many long misses inaddition to the typical concerns. Hope I'm not talking about shot selection in what we think will be close. Almost picked knows creek or st elmoes, but stayed will bulleit in memory of northwestern game
Well I commented that the first half was pretty good in that shot selection...🙂 maybe needed Zach shooting 3s early in the clock the second half?.😄

If you catch the ball in the air, and land simultaneously on two feet, yes, you can pivot off of one of your choice.

If you catch/gather the ball with one foot on the floor, hop and land on two, no, you can then no longer pivot. Which is what Williams did.
All you have to do is end the dribble in air same as if you were catching a pass.

Last edited:

I think this says otherwise: Article 2 . A jump stop may also be executed when the dribble has one foot on the playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established as the pivot foot).

Thus for both NCAA and NFHS, a pivot can only be established after a jump stop if the player ends the dribble with both feet off the court as in Article 2 above. Otherwise, the player can only legally hold, shoot or pass while the ball remains live

How nice would it be if Wheeler could actually knock down 1 WIDE OPEN
3 POINTER A GAME, JUST 1!!!
Aaron was 0 for 3 and Jaden was 0 for 4. 41% of the shots behind the arc were taken by them. Think Pitino was happy? That was Matt's game plan to let the others get the looks and "hope" they would take them...playing the odds. Think Matt talks a bit about that 1 minute in before the game video

How nice would it be if Wheeler could actually knock down 1 WIDE OPEN
3 POINTER A GAME, JUST 1!!!
Yep, that first half after the big dunk he missed a wide open 3 and 2 straight free throws, he was playing well, just can't hit shots, it kills the Boilers.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Yep, that first half after the big dunk he missed a wide open 3 and 2 straight free throws, he was playing well, just can't hit shots, it kills the Boilers.
I thought he played well, but I'm sticking to my opinion that he shouldn't shoot 3s.

Tough loss but I love this team, lets be honest we all know this is a team that maybe wins 1 in the tournament, 2 would be a stunner considering they'll probably be seeded in the 7-9 range. Team is a year away, next year will be really fun, I truly believe it's a top 10-15 team, possibly higher. Future is really bright folks, I know these losses suck but better days await!

Tough loss but I love this team, lets be honest we all know this is a team that maybe wins 1 in the tournament, 2 would be a stunner considering they'll probably be seeded in the 7-9 range. Team is a year away, next year will be really fun, I truly believe it's a top 10-15 team, possibly higher. Future is really bright folks, I know these losses suck but better days await!
Tighten up some things and play smarter and they can win 2 maybe a bit more if things break right. Hopefully they can get a double bye in the big tourney and a good seed in the ncaa tourney.

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
I thought he played well, but I'm sticking to my opinion that he shouldn't shoot 3s.
Aaron was 0 for 3 and Jaden was 0 for 4. 41% of the shots behind the arc were taken by them. Think Pitino was happy? That was Matt's game plan to let the others get the looks and "hope" they would take them...playing the odds. Think Matt talks a bit about that 1 minute in before the game video
Yes he shouldn’t, he bricks wide open 3s all the time and I mean WIDE OPEN! Just think if he hits once and awhile we beat Maryland and Minnesota tonight. Not saying he looses us games but he sure would help us win more games!

Yes he shouldn’t, he bricks wide open 3s all the time and I mean WIDE OPEN! Just think if he hits once and awhile we beat Maryland and Minnesota tonight. Not saying he looses us games but he sure would help us win more games!
Or players just do what they are best doing if they can. A positive is Purdue isn't turning it over like they were with passes..just have to stop turning it over with bad shot selection..

You don’t have a pivot foot on a jump stop, which is what is was. Williams gathered the ball with one foot on the floor, hopped off of it and landed on two, which is a legal jumpstop. But then he reset a foot—travel.

I disagree but would need to watch again

Man, I’d be a horrible head coach. Painter has the patience of a Saint with his substitutions.
Ivey leash is too long. If Morton is any good at all he needs to take some minutes from whatever guards choose not to show up each game.

I am so sick of losing to bad luck

****ing lucky ****er banks a 3.. this is after minnesota has about 10 other points from random bounces off legs and loose balls and falling down shots to boot

Holy **** this team will never ever EVER get lucky or hell even just even luck

things even out. probably lucky Ivey makes a clutch 3 earlier in the season. Percentages say he will miss.

I clipped the relevant portion here. He moved his right foot after the jump stop. It was a travel.
You're allowed to pivot after a jump stop. Article 2 . A jump stop may also be executed when the dribble has one foot on the playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established as the pivot foot).

Thus for both NCAA and NFHS, a pivot can only be established after a jump stop if the player ends the dribble with both feet off the court as in Article 2 above. Otherwise, the player can only legally hold, shoot or pass while the ball remains live

Last edited:
You're allowed to pivot after a jump stop. Article 2 . A jump stop may also be executed when the dribble has one foot on the playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established as the pivot foot).

He ended the dribble with one foot on the floor, so he is not permitted to pivot after jumping.

I called that travel before the refs did. Looked like a travel to me.
That's 2 losses in a row where the Boilers have blown 5-7 pt leads in the last 3 mins and other team made a couple of huge shots at the end of the game.

I called that travel before the refs did. Looked like a travel to me.
That's 2 losses in a row where the Boilers have blown 5-7 pt leads in the last 3 mins and other team made a couple of huge shots at the end of the game.
It looked like a travel, but it wasn't. Jump stops can be awkward when jumping forward. They really look awkward when the player jumps backward.

My bad. I rewatched the last play and Newman was on the court for the Sasha airball. He must have subbed in after the 3/4 court heave.
He did. Really the problem with the last play was that the inbounding position was a very challenging spot. Hindsight being 20/20 I might have left Tre in the game to have another body to pass it into, and then have some criss cross action outside for him to pass it. Granted they could have fouled him right away if they were thinking clearly. But at least it would have loosened up the floor.

good clip but no he can pivot off the jump stop. he ends his dribble on the jump.

https://oat.host/travel/other_angle_slow.mp4 <- from this angle especially, he has two hands on the ball while his left foot is on the ground. At that point, his dribble has ended. He then hops off of his left foot and lands on two feet. At that point, neither foot can be a pivot foot. He picks up his right foot and returns it to the floor, therefore, it is a travel by rule.

At game speed, this is rarely called because it's tough to tell when the player ends the dribble. And I believe this would be legal in the NBA due to the "gather" definition. But it's a travel by rule in the NCAA.

Trevion's been my favorite player for years, so I'd love it if the evidence proved he didn't travel. But that's not how I see it.

https://oat.host/travel/other_angle_slow.mp4 <- from this angle especially, he has two hands on the ball while his left foot is on the ground. At that point, his dribble has ended. He then hops off of his left foot and lands on two feet. At that point, neither foot can be a pivot foot. He picks up his right foot and returns it to the floor, therefore, it is a travel by rule.

At game speed, this is rarely called because it's tough to tell when the player ends the dribble. And I believe this would be legal in the NBA due to the "gather" definition. But it's a travel by rule in the NCAA.

Trevion's been my favorite player for years, so I'd love it if the evidence proved he didn't travel. But that's not how I see it.
You,re wrong. He takes 2 dribbles and jumps off his left foot. A text book jump stop. The rule for ending the dribble means he stopped rather than jumping. Either you're wrong or jump stops have been improperly called forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT