ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue v. Michigan State (Game Thread)

Man to man defense is the best way to stop outside shooting. You don’t know what you are talking about. That kid just made a great shot.
If you are playing against a pure zone where the D defends an area, you just overload the area with more O than defenders. If a man/zone or match-up it basically is man D.

Where was the urgency to beat them down the court, to get half the 50 50 balls, to focus when get a steal and not give it back. MSU has talent and underachieved this year,just not this game and a few others this year they won

Toughness. You lose Gillis for long stretches and we have no one willing to battle. They just whine and cry when they get balls ripped away.
I didn't think their crowd was that hostile today, they got loud on big plays, seen it more noisy before.

Reactions: BSIT
If the pass was good, the defender you notice was not looking and Sasha would have had a look at basket, would it have went in, ????
Going away from the basket like that with .4 was never going to work. He had to fight momentum to get the shot off and wouldn’t have had time to gather himself. He needed to be rolling to the ball/rim. With that small amount of time you have to have forward momentum.

Going away from the basket like that with .4 was never going to work. He had to fight momentum to get the shot off and wouldn’t have had time to gather himself. He needed to be rolling to the ball/rim. With that small amount of time you have to have forward momentum.
Disagree with you, coming to the ball , u then have to turn and release, that takes longer.

Disagree with you, coming to the ball , u then have to turn and release, that takes longer.

Again it is a .4 of a second play, it has a 5% chance of sucess at best.
Agreed but why make it harder on yourself? It’s the same principal if he had been throwing it it from the other end. You don’t want to do that and go against your shooting hand. It’s easier to shoot fading to the side of your dominant hand.

You either don’t call that since it doesn’t effect anything or you call it and then review since it was a dead ball anyway. That’s the issue I think. Why review every potential hook and hold during the first 20 minutes and then say “**** it” when it matters. Doesn’t make sense. Veteran officials in the big ten shouldnt screw that one up.

Reactions: Schnelk
Once again Sasha has proved his might be our most valuable player, as how he goes, is how we go.

He's definitely a good barometer.....now, Purdue has won a few times when he's had subpar games, but when he has a solid game - Purdue almost always wins.

He is one of the first guys teams try to key on, and Izzo's game plan certainly focused on him. They will see more of that come tournament time.

Better figure out a way to get our “shooters” some looks early in Madison and see them go down early to avoid another game like today. Jaden Ivey being the only Boilermaker to hit a three is not the recipe for winning.

Once again Sasha has proved his might be our most valuable player, as how he goes, is how we go.
But Sasha on the road is rarely "On" and toss in playing against athletic guys who are willing to chase him around seems to negate anything he can do on the offensive end...If he can't get/take an outside shot he isn't driving by or out jumping anyone

Actually he has to turn to shoot it somewhere between 90 and 180 degrees with .4 seconds? Probably not going to get off a decent 3 ball look no matter what with .4 seconds. Once I saw the defender not know where the ball was and remembering Butler running something similar to advance in the tourney years ago I didn't think it was as bad as originally thought. Still, that possession starting at 1.4 was not a position Purdue needed to be in. With all the screw ups and there were many...MSU shoots normal Purdue wins. The biggest issue is Purdue doesn't have the urgency they need all the times...possibly because they are so good offensively that they just assume things will work out in the end, but they don't . I think Purdue beats Wisconsin and then handles IU, but this team has to start to embrace the grind and to expect a war for 40 minutes sustaining "focus", "communication" and playing hard from start to finish.

Agreed but why make it harder on yourself? It’s the same principal if he had been throwing it it from the other end. You don’t want to do that and go against your shooting hand. It’s easier to shoot fading to the side of your dominant hand.
I'm all there for your shooting hand...and more importantly the footwork since many step into the shot. I just think that situation is pretty irrelevant in the game and remember Butler doing the same and surprising the other team...but probably a bit more than .4 which was a problem for any 3 ball.

Not making firm plans to watching Purdue play the 2nd weekend the NCAAT. Just not.

I'm all there for your shooting hand...and more importantly the footwork since many step into the shot. I just think that situation is pretty irrelevant in the game and remember Butler doing the same and surprising the other team...but probably a bit more than .4 which was a problem for any 3 ball.
I also wonder if Jaden had developed a higher shooting pocket and release on the perimeter (where he isn't defended as tight and rightfully so), if he would have that higher release in teh lane? Putting the ball in front of him AND low caused him to lose the ball or get it blocked. The reality is that Jaden oozes with potential and why we will not see him back at Purdue most likely. However, I think there are a lot of little things that he could learn, before the pressure is on to perform. Sometimes that "potential" that the NBA sees is not the actual results on the Purdue team and none of this blames Jaden or anyone for the loss.

I haven't watched the game over for anything in particular, but for those that can quickly go to the last minute or so which is where Jaden may have got fouled. I think that was the set that Matt motioned for everyone to come up high (FT line extended) and all the MSU defenders but one followed the Purdue players and that player just stayed in the lane. My guess is that it was a big for MSU that wouldn't follow Zach out away from the baseket, but MSU left someone open.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If the pass was good, the defender you notice was not looking and Sasha would have had a look at basket, would it have went in, ????
If the pass was good? I can't think of a more difficult pass than someone running away from the pass with a defender literally between them. It was an awful play.

Reactions: purdueplayer
If the pass was good? I can't think of a more difficult pass than someone running away from the pass with a defender literally between them. It was an awful play.
its ran all the time at such clock times in the NBA at end of qtrs.

Better figure out a way to get our “shooters” some looks early in Madison and see them go down early to avoid another game like today. Jaden Ivey being the only Boilermaker to hit a three is not the recipe for winning.
MSU got 9 more shots than Purdue...hard to win a close game when the other team gets 9 more shots...of course MSU got 7 less turnovers to get more shots and Purdue only got 4 more boards. Purdue shot 61.5% from 2 and 11% from the 3 which led to 9 more FTs for Purdue. I'm not sure MSU could do much to stop Zach from scoring as he was 10/15 or 66.6% and I'm unaware of a rule that says you can no longer give the ball to the guy that scores? More feeds, more baskets and/or more fouls to help Purdue. Once they sell out to stop Zach, the 3 ball opens up more and Purdue doesn't have to go 1/9.

There were 3 possession where Purdue shot 3 balls in the final couple of minutes and missed all...normally those would not be too bad of shots. However, I sw no inclination of anyone stopping Zach and would have gladly hit 2/3 2 pointers at the time. Another game. it may not be there to do as much...but when he is scoring or not (33%) of the time, you offensive players are in position to also stop the push better. GAme over and all of our after the game comments don't matter, I just wish we always wanted to get dirty and embrace the grind as though every game was Illinois.

Math, I'd love to see Painter go to a match up zone or maybe even a box and one. Put the chaser on the best outside shooter and rock and roll.
I doubt we ever see Matt run a combination defense. I think it was 2019 (the year Xaiver Simpson would force the switch (Purdue was switching all 5 players) then back dribble to pull Haas away a bit and feed Teske for an 8 footer when there was some even at Purdue...maybe perfect attendence?? and I asked Steve Lutz what difference there was between a match up and switching all five player other than the handoffs as they enter one area and leave the other and I don't think he understood my questions possibly due to having his mind on other things and after stating it two and not getting an explanation I let it go. He only said they liked to keep the 5 in close for rebounding...but when you were switching in man, there wasn't any difference.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT