ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue lands Marian transfer Ella Collier

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
This staff is on an all-wing diet.

This portal season has been nothing but a disaster. UCLA and USC are becoming super teams. Maryland has done another stunningly great job of reloading. Everyone else either keeping or adding major talent. Then it’s us… loading up on 9 wings fighting for PT while we look down the barrel of a truly pathetic post lineup.

1. Amiyah - Poole
2. Jones - Lombard - Collier
3. Swanson - Petree - Smith
4. Layden - Mila - Puryear/McCarthy
5. Portal - Harper - Puryear/McCarthy

Subject to change of course. Rough ball park depth chart.

I have no idea what they do at the 4 spot, maybe they play 4 guards..

1. Amiyah - Poole

I should add theres alot of interchangeable pieces there. Ex. Collier could get minutes at the 3 as well. I do think she plays.

1. Amiyah - Poole

IF Puryear and or McCarthy are playing behind Alaina, they are wasted scholarships because she has no business on a power 5 team except to get one more year out of her older sister. Same with Mila except its to get her younger sisters here. Mila had flashes of ability, but they didn't last long because of her being so far out of shape she only could manage 2 good minutes at a time.

I very much doubt Smith plays behind Petree, she looks like a charity scholarship to thank her family for her older sister being here and not anyone that has anything to offer to a Big Ten team.

If Lombard at 5'7" is playing 2 guard, we are screwed as she will be hearing a whole lot of "mouse in the house" when 5'10"+ 2 guards are posting her up in the paint early and often.

I would expect:
Lombard/Amiyah/Poole
Jones/Collier/Smith
Swanson/Smith/Collier/Petree
McKenna/Mila/Collier/Petree
Puryear/McCarthy/Alaina/Mila

Reactions: tomgloe
Starters in a 4 guard set up, which is what Im hoping for based off the amount of guards.
(edited) A. Reynolds - On Ball
Jones - Off Ball or On Ball if needed
Swanson - Off Ball
Lombard/Mila (needs to make big summer gains)/Collier - Similar to the Harden role
Bass?? (Again, $3 beer night if not)

Rotation subs
Poole/McCarthy/Puryear/McKenna

Could get minutes subs
Smith/Harper/Petree

Last edited:
Starters in a 4 guard set up, which is what Im hoping for based off the amount of guards.
Reynolds - On Ball
Swanson - Off Ball
Lombard/Mila (needs to make big summer gains)/Collier - Similar to the Harden role

Rotation subs

Could get minutes subs
Smith/Harper/Petree
No Amiyah Reynolds???

Swanson - Off Ball

Rotation subs

Could get minutes subs
Smith/Harper/Petree
One player 6'1" in your starting lineup (and she looks thin), the rest 6' down to 5'9" That group might never get a rebound in Big Ten play.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Swanson - Off Ball

Rotation subs

Could get minutes subs
Smith/Harper/Petree
I don't follow it closely, but it's my understanding that Bass is looking like a long shot.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Spoke to Collier about her commitment yesterday. Here’s what she had to say:

Ok so a panic add from a player that was either going to quit basketball or go back her NAIA squad instead of add another post player to back up a depleted, unaccomplished bunch.

Is this article supposed to help assuage the fears of an already frustrated fan base?

Ok so a panic add from a player that was either going to quit basketball or go back her NAIA squad instead of add another post player to back up a depleted, unaccomplished bunch.

Is this article supposed to help assuage the fears of an already frustrated fan base?
That was my take away too, Collier could not land any interest even from Butler and Northwestern, but Purdue is supposed to be happy we now have a player like our coach that no other D1 team would have considered?????

Im kind of surprised teams like that wouldnt be interested in a 2 x player of the year when she went in the portal. She has to be better than players at the end of the bench.

If she was that much better than everyone in NAIA Im also pretty amazed she wasnt on any radars for D One out of high school.

I for now will be excited to have someone who knows how to compete and shoot considering that was a feature sorely missed this past year.

That was my take away too, Collier could not land any interest even from Butler and Northwestern, but Purdue is supposed to be happy we now have a player like our coach that no other D1 team would have considered?????
Perhaps a bit ironic...no initial love or interest for 2 two-time National Players of the Year at Purdue. :)

Reactions: rgarlitz
let’s do a bit of reading comprehension….

“Upon exploring the possibility, the schools to reach out, which included Butler, Bradley, Northern Kentucky and others, didn't quite pique the interest of the Marian star.”

So those schools were originally “interested” in her. But of course “initial interest” doesn’t mean “I want to offer you a scholarship”. Which I get in the latter of the sentence. I have a hard time thinking that she’d turn down an official offer from any of those schools. Seems like they didn’t officially offer her, thus SHE wasn’t interested.

Last edited:
Perhaps a bit ironic...no initial love or interest for 2 two-time National Players of the Year at Purdue. :)
two time NAIA national player of the year. I'd be slightly more excited if it were D3 and a bit more if it were D2, but NAIA is about the level of North Dakota Miss Basketball at best IMO.

“Upon exploring the possibility, the schools to reach out, which included Butler, Bradley, Northern Kentucky and others, didn't quite pique the interest of the Marian star.”

So those schools were originally “interested” in her. But of course “initial interest” doesn’t mean “I want to offer you a scholarship”. Which I get in the latter of the sentence. I have a hard time thinking that she’d turn down an official offer from any of those schools. Seems like they didn’t officially offer her, thus SHE wasn’t interested.
Well, that was my interpretation...no interest on their part in making an offer. I believe my reading comprehension is just fine. :rolleyes:

So those schools were originally “interested” in her. But of course “initial interest” doesn’t mean “I want to offer you a scholarship”. Which I get in the latter of the sentence. I have a hard time thinking that she’d turn down an official offer from any of those schools. Seems like they didn’t officially offer her.
I read that as she was not interested in going there. Her decision.

I would find it incredibly hard to believe Marian was her highest offer out of high school. Theres something to be said for not just jumping at the first chance.

two time NAIA national player of the year. I'd be slightly more excited if it were D3 and a bit more if it were D2, but NAIA is about the level of North Dakota Miss Basketball at best IMO.
I understand. There is one statistic that is a direct comparison between different levels of basketball...FTs. In 2023-2024 season, there was only one other player (only 80 FTs) in DI, DII, DII, or NAIA besides Collier who hit 95+% of her FTs. Collier's was at 96.1% (146-152). I realize this is only one aspect of the game, but her shooting stroke is incredibly consistent. This will be my last post on her FTs...I promise. lol!

Ok let me spell this out for y'all. If all of those schools actually offered her the article would go.

“Collier chose Purdue over offers from Butler, Bradley, Northern Kentucky and others.”

This is obviously not how it was worded.

Learning to read between the lines is apparently a talent. Anyways it is what it is at this point. Hope it works out.

Ok let me spell this out for y'all. If all of those schools actually offered her the article would go.

“Collier chose Purdue over offers from Butler, Bradley, Northern Kentucky and others.”

This is obviously not how it was worded.

Learning to read between the lines is apparently a talent. Anyways it is what it is at this point. Hope it works out.
I dont want to sound like a kissa** but should we ask the author?

I understand. There is one statistic that is a direct comparison between different levels of basketball...FTs. In 2023-2024 season, there was only one other player (only 80 FTs) in DI, DII, DII, or NAIA besides Collier who hit 95+% of her FTs. Collier's was at 96.1% (146-152). I realize this is only one aspect of the game, but her shooting stroke is incredibly consistent. This will be my last post on her FTs...I promise. lol!
Madison Layden shot a really high percentage from 3pt range too, because she only took them when wide open. If Collier can actually shoot 38+% against Big Ten level competition on a good volume, then I will be impressed, but then we face the issue of play the best players to win 14 games instead of 11 and lose 1-3 of the underclassmen or play for the future and waste Collier's time.

She's in the program now. Maybe we could just wait a few months and see how she does at the B1G level before we throw her under the bus.
[/QUOTE
She's in the program now. Maybe we could just wait a few months and see how she does at the B1G level before we throw her under the bus.
Exactly, some very angry at this, hope the girl kills it, at any rate good for her!

This was never meant to throw the kid under the bus. I just called it for what it was from a coaching standpoint. A pretty lazy, panic move.

I truly hope Collier proves us all wrong and has a good season for us. She seems like a skilled shooter with some size. Hopefully her athleticism translates to the high major D1 level. Heck I hope the staff proves all my recent roster criticisms wrong and we win a ton of games next year and make the tournament.

I’m just highly skeptical about it all KNOWING how our league rivals are simply loading up with elite talent.

This was never meant to throw the kid under the bus. I just called it for what it was from a coaching standpoint. A pretty lazy, panic move.

I truly hope Collier proves us all wrong and has a good season for us. She seems like a skilled shooter with some size. Hopefully her athleticism translates to the high major D1 level. Heck I hope the staff proves all my recent roster criticisms wrong and we win a ton of games next year and make the tournament.

I’m just highly skeptical about it all KNOWING how our league rivals are simply loading up with elite talent.
By “league rivals” you don’t include Wisconsin, Rutgers and Northwestern I hope. Because judging by our results this season that just ended the best transfers naturally would look elsewhere before considering us and these three just mentioned. A 15-19 team gets its transfers from the clearance rack not the top high quality one. These are help players that hopefully will be able to provide leadership, and calmness when things get rattled. They bring hundreds of game experience and hopefully they acquired some wisdom along the way. The emphasis should be aimed like a laser at quality high school recruits like the staff has been doing. All big ten performers we won’t get from the portal any time soon I’m afraid. These veterans are here to help the young players, not to replace them. Boiler up!
Juan

By “league rivals” you don’t include Wisconsin, Rutgers and Northwestern I hope. Because judging by our results this season that just ended the best transfers naturally would look elsewhere before considering us and these three just mentioned. A 15-19 team gets its transfers from the clearance rack not the top high quality one. These are help players that hopefully will be able to provide leadership, and calmness when things get rattled. They bring hundreds of game experience and hopefully they acquired some wisdom along the way. The emphasis should be aimed like a laser at quality high school recruits like the staff has been doing. All big ten performers we won’t get from the portal any time soon I’m afraid. These veterans are here to help the young players, not to replace them. Boiler up!
Juan
It says more than anything I can put out there that you consider Rutgers, Wisconsin, and Northwestern as our conference rivals.....................

Im kind of surprised teams like that wouldnt be interested in a 2 x player of the year when she went in the portal. She has to be better than players at the end of the bench.

If she was that much better than everyone in NAIA Im also pretty amazed she wasnt on any radars for D One out of high school.

I for now will be excited to have someone who knows how to compete and shoot considering that was a feature sorely missed this past year.
The NAIA schedule is like a glorified high school schedule in my opinion. So being a top player in NAIA isn’t difficult to be. Didn’t like the gist of the article. Sounded like Purdue was a last option. She is a good shooter but the issue is that she will be guarded very differently in our conference than she ever was at the NAIA level. And she’s done in a year. It likely will take her some time to adjust to the competition, defense and pace of the game.

It says more than anything I can put out there that you consider Rutgers, Wisconsin, and Northwestern as our conference rivals.....................
It seems the consensus is Purdue wbb has zero nil money. If that is actually the case, beggars can’t be choosers. I meant what I said, those three were our peers this season. Every other BIG team should looks more attractive to portal recruits. The only BIG team with a winning record we beat was illinois. So yes we had to pick from leftovers as far as the portal is concerned. My hope is set on our high school commits. Heaven help us if that starts to sour. Boiler up!
Juan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT