ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue lands 2025 four-star CB

Makes sense. His entire defense revolves around having DBs that can man cover well, so even if a few bust, if he can get a starting group and a couple of more good ones, that should make the defense better which obviously relieves pressure off the offense.

Reactions: Schnelk and z_one
Thanks Dub for being on top of this.

pboiler18, looks like Walters is finding the shutdown corners.
He can recruit. It’s very impressive.

Still a long time before he hits the field. Lots can happen there. Talent should no longer be an excuse for under performance. Let’s see if he can back it up with results! I’m still highly skeptical.

His NIL payday will come later from the portal after he balls out here for 2 years
Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take him now.

If we have the right system to showcase guys, kids would be remiss to leave a system like that to go chase a payday and play in a system that doesn’t showcase them as much.

Just 1 guys opinion on it but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Scourton less productive next year in a more crowded DE room and with his hand in the dirt more. I don’t think it overall effects his draft status that much as he’s a freak at his size and will be a top 50 pick no problem.

Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take him now.

If we have the right system to showcase guys, kids would be remiss to leave a system like that to go chase a payday and play in a system that doesn’t showcase them as much.

Just 1 guys opinion on it but I wouldn’t be shocked to see Scourton less productive next year in a more crowded DE room and with his hand in the dirt more. I don’t think it overall affects his draft status that much as he’s a freak at his size and will be a top 50 pick no problem.
I would be shocked if Scourton did match his 2023 production at A&M. It’ll probably be cut in half or close to it to be honest. But his draft stock is not going to suffer much if at all. If he gets 10 sacks and 15 TFL again he’s going in the top 15 though.

Reactions: Bippus33
I would be shocked if Scourton did match his 2023 production at A&M. It’ll probably be cut in half or close to it to be honest. But his draft stock is not going to suffer much if at all. If he gets 10 sacks and 15 TFL again he’s going in the top 15 though.
I don’t blame him for leaving if he got anywhere near what it’s reported he did.

We’d all leave our jobs for a 2-5x pay raise!

What he now has to deal with is how his current employer chooses to use his talents. He’s certainly not going to have the freedom he had in Walters scheme (for better or for worse for us) but as long as he has decent numbers he’ll be a high pick come April 2025

He has an incredible offer list. He is ranked 36th nationally. My worry that we have to wait 11 months to sign him. There could be bigger pockets that make him change his mind before then.
I'm glad that he likes our coaches but another sub 500 record could cool him off.

I'm glad that he likes our coaches but another sub 500 record could cool him off.
Yes. This is obvious. Nothing our coaches can do about the record until September.

what the coaches can do at the moment is bring in a strong 2024 class and top 10 portal class. And recruit for the future and get the player ready for September. But nothing we can do about our record until September.

Saw a great thread on the Tennessee On3 board. There's one guy who thinks this kid is good. Everyone else has a definitive take that him committing to Purdue obviously means he is bad. And UT did not recruit him. At all. And neither did anyone else. All the offers every site has for him are made up. Purdue was his only P5 option.

I'm actually a bit envious of folks like this that can just make up their own reality and just move on with completely baseless and unshakable confidence. lmao

Saw a great thread on the Tennessee On3 board. There's one guy who thinks this kid is good. Everyone else has a definitive take that him committing to Purdue obviously means he is bad. And UT did not recruit him. At all. And neither did anyone else. All the offers every site has for him are made up. Purdue was his only P5 option.

I'm actually a bit envious of folks like this that can just make up their own reality and just move on with completely baseless and unshakable confidence. lmao
You picked a top 10, if not top 5 most obnoxious fan base to visit.

Just be glad you didn’t pull a bcfanatic and try to interact with them

Reactions: Bippus33 and HUD628

It works for the IU fan base

You picked a top 10, if not top 5 most obnoxious fan base to visit.

Just be glad you didn’t pull a bcfanatic and try to interact with them
Oh I know they're nuts. But I was a little surprised that the consensus is "well then he's obviously bad and no other school even recruited him"

Reactions: z_one
Yes. This is obvious. Nothing our coaches can do about the record until September.

what the coaches can do at the moment is bring in a strong 2024 class and top 10 portal class. And recruit for the future and get the player ready for September. But nothing we can do about our record until September.
Actually, a lot can be done. Our coaches made a lot of strategic errors last year. The excuse of having new players from one year to the next is going to be comon place from here on out and the schedule without Michigan doesn't show a path to 6 wins.
Especially with last year's errors...
Boiler Up coaches!!!

Reactions: tenwest
Actually, a lot can be done. Our coaches made a lot of strategic errors last year. The excuse of having new players from one year to the next is going to be comon place from here on out and the schedule without Michigan doesn't show a path to 6 wins.
Especially with last year's errors...
Boiler Up coaches!!!
So what exactly is your solution? What exactly would you have the coaches do right now instead of recruit players? I hear you complaining, but not hearing any solutions from you.

Reactions: krf3632
So what exactly is your solution? What exactly would you have the coaches do right now instead of recruit players? I hear you complaining, but not hearing any solutions from you.
Correct and learn from your mistakes. Recruiting most likely won't be the issue but learning how to call a strategic game plan??? Might be it.

Let's just hope for growth and winning games.

Correct and learn from your mistakes. Recruiting most likely won't be the issue but learning how to call a strategic game plan??? Might be it.

Let's just hope for growth and winning games.
Walters said he had a better idea of the personnel on the team after his first year. What they can do, what they can't and what they need. It seems he has addressed as much through recruiting and transfer portal as he can, which has been pretty good imo.

After all that, I expect improvement in all 4 phases.
1. I expect an efficient, balanced and mistake free offense that consistenly scores, like we saw vs IL, Minny, and Indiana, to be more prevalent.
2. I expect a fundamentally sound defense with few errors, doesn't give up the big play and gets off the field on 3rd down.
3. Solid special teams and solid FG kicking.
4. Coaching Improvements, better playcalling and player development.

If we dont see improvement, we need to look for new coordinators. Even Brohm had to go through 3 DC hires (Diaco lmao) before he got it right. Harrell needs to produce this year IMO.

Let me know when he’s on campus…
Yeah. Yeah. You can use that same lame excuse for any 2025 recruit that has committed so far at another school.

in the meantime here is a report from the Polynesian Bowl on our 4* corner. He will be playing in the Polynesian Bowl this weekend.

Koy Beasley

“Beasley really flashed for us numerous times from his safety position. He’s rated the No. 162 player nationally in the Top247 and showed why with a really impressive workout. He plays with a ton of twitch and can really run to the football. He looked like the most explosive player in the secondary and showed great range in the half-skelly period making several impressive pass breakups on throws we didn’t think he had a chance to get to.”

Any lame excuse regarding Beasley?

Last edited:
Yeah. Yeah. You can use that same lame excuse for any 2025 recruit that has committed so far at another school.

in the meantime here is a report from the Polynesian Bowl on our 4* corner. He will be playing in the Polynesian Bowl this weekend.

Koy Beasley

“Beasley really flashed for us numerous times from his safety position. He’s rated the No. 162 player nationally in the Top247 and showed why with a really impressive workout. He plays with a ton of twitch and can really run to the football. He looked like the most explosive player in the secondary and showed great range in the half-skelly period making several impressive pass breakups on throws we didn’t think he had a chance to get to.”

Any lame excuse regarding Beasley?
What excuse are you talking about?

What excuse are you talking about?
Call it excuses. Call it complaining.

There are reasons to be optimistic when Walters gets a 4* recruit commitment, and then someone craps on it by saying the obvious. Yes we understand that 2025 commit does not necessarily mean they sign NLI at the end.

But I would rather have Walters getting 2025 4* recruits committing to Purdue than not having them.
every corner, when Purdue gets a win you (guys like you, not particularly you) look for excuse or complain to minimize the win.

if you are holding your breath wishing for Walters to fail, then why bother calling yourself a Purdue fan.
If you are an IU fan pretending to be a Purdue fan, can not help you there.

There are reasons to be optimistic when Walters gets a 4* recruit commitment, and then someone craps on it by saying the obvious. Yes we understand that 2025 commit does not necessarily mean they sign NLI at the end.

But I would rather have Walters getting 2025 4* recruits committing to Purdue than not having them.
every corner, when Purdue gets a win you (guys like you, not particularly you) look for excuse or complain to minimize the win.

if you are holding your breath wishing for Walters to fail, then why bother calling yourself a Purdue fan.
With as many decommits and transfers as we’ve had, a “commitment” doesn’t do much for me. When I see him producing in a game, like Dylan Thieneman for example, then I’ll be excited.

The proof will be on the field in actual game play. I realize that a recruit might never pan out for a variety of reasons. But there is no reason to post negative things that might happen, but haven't happened.

Reactions: Bippus33 and z_one
The proof will be on the field in actual game play. I realize that a recruit might never pan out for a variety of reasons. But there is no reason to post negative things that might happen, but haven't happened.
You are correct. Football “commitments” aren’t really commitments, but I can keep my skepticism to myself moving forward. I hope we can keep him.

My only thoughts are I’d like to see this same type of recruiting results at other positions! Walters and his assistants have shown he can compete against the big boys and bring in some of the best defensive backs. Walters has had a lot of success attracting players in the portal. Now let’s follow that success and continue to compete with the big boys for elite athletes at all positions.

Ask yourself, what is your best recruiting tool to attract the best athletes? With the addition of the 4 new schools, our future schedules will always include tough opponents. Is immediate playing time really that important to a 4/5 star ? Don’t they usually expect to start regardless of the competition? Do winning records and bowl games provide that much incentive? Or is it all about the Nil and preparing to play in the pros? And getting drafted? What is that current #1 priority to attract players?

(Photo: Ryan Callahan, 247Sports)
The Mufreesboro (Tenn.) Siegel standout committed to Purdue as the No. 6 cornerback and No. 51 overall player in the 2025 class.

"Tarrion Grant, this one’s fun. He’d be the second-highest-ranked signee all-time for Purdue," Ivins said. "Still early in the 2025 cycle; we’ll see how the rankings shake out, but he is a long, reactionary corner. Listed at 6-4, I would say he’s probably closer to 6-3, 6-2, but elite track times. This guy can run. Lacks a little bit of ball production — I don’t think a ton of passes have come his way — but for a guy that is as lean and as narrow as he is, he’s got some impressive POA (point of attack) tape in terms of his ability to make tackles.

"I don’t know, this one kind of fires me up about Purdue, just them going into SEC country and getting Grant committed. Now they’re going to have to hold onto him, but it’s a big deal, and Purdue, we saw Marcos Davila at the All-American Bowl, their 2024 quarterback. I think me and you are both fans, not only of him, but of the fit there in West Lafayette, and then Koy Beasley, Top 247 safety. He’s turning some heads out at the Polynesian Bowl. So Purdue, kind of getting it done on the talent acquisition front. They’ve also done ie int the transfer portal as well."

No complaining here. I guess we weren't watching the same Purdue Football Team.
I not going to spoon feed you my observations or thoughts when you are unable to even guess what the coaching staff needs to improve on....
Poor soul...

Reactions: pboiler18
With as many decommits and transfers as we’ve had, a “commitment” doesn’t do much for me. When I see him producing in a game, like Dylan Thieneman for example, then I’ll be excited.
Damn it New Pal, I hate it when you are a realest.

OMG........Yes, a life long Purdue Fan wants WALTERS to fail.....Keep drinking the cool aid that blinds you from real concerns......

OMG........Yes, a life long Purdue Fan wants WALTERS to fail.....Keep drinking the cool aid that blinds you from real concerns......
There are real concerns. For sure. But being excited for 4* recruits doesn’t make you blind. It's ok for fans to be excited for recruiting. Rivals is a recruiting service, after all.

There are real concerns. For sure. But being excited for 4* recruits doesn’t make you blind. It's ok for fans to be excited for recruiting. Rivals is a recruiting service, after all.
Your right, inviting 4* recruits to the progam is exciting and not blinding, but I fear that there are those that expect talent to overcome other real issues that were on full display last season......

Your right, inviting 4* recruits to the progam is exciting and not blinding, but I fear that there are those that expect talent to overcome other real issues that were on full display last season......
It's not wrong to think better talent and better players can make a program better. They absolutely can. And you don't have to "fear" other people's opinions... they're just opinions. They're not going to affect anything on or off the field, except maybe give the program some positivity. That's not anything to fear.

Reactions: NVboiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT