ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue in tourney since 83-84 and Rank the loss.

Mar 11, 2011
Another poster lamented the Purdue/Cincy loss as one of toughest in tourney. I disagree as you have to take seeding, potential and next opponent into consideration. Since Kentucky was up next and is a 16.5 fav over Cincy. The road was going to end Saturday short of a minor miracle.

Here are the losses since the 83 Season. I started following Purdue with the 84 Big 10 Co champ team.
Rank them if you wish as worst lost to least hurtful loss: Top 10 Final AP Rankings shown before Tournament:

1983: #5 Seed Lost 2nd Rd to #4 Seed Ark 78-68

1984: Pur ranked 10th: Co Big 10 Champ: #3 Seed Lost in 1st Rd to #6 Seed Memphis St. in Memphis 66-48.

1985 #6 Seed lost 1st Rd to #11 Seed Auburn 59-58 on Chuck Person's last sec jumper.

1986 #6 Seed lost 1st Rd to #11 Seed LSU in Baton Rouge 94-87 in 2 OT's. LSU team went on to make the Final 4.

1987 #3 Seed Pur ranked 7th: Co Big 10 Champ with 87 IU team that won it all: Lost in 2nd Rd to #6 Seed Florida 85-66.

1988 Pur ranked 3rd: Big 10 Champ: #1 Seed (Might be the Best Team since 80 Final 4 Team). Lost in Regional Semi to #4 Seed Kansas St & Mitch Richmond 73-70. Infamous Everette Stephens dribbling ball off foot out of bounds down 1 late. Up 9 at halftime.

1990 Pur ranked 10: #2 Seed Lost in 2nd Rd to #10 Seed Texas 73-72. Tony Jones blocked at buzzer. Infamous Keady blowup after game NCAA Press Conference over ref's no foul calling on push-off's by Texas. Texas went on to Elite 8.

1991 #7 Seed lost in 1st Rd to #10 Seed Temple 80-63. Temple went on to Elite 8.

1993 #9 Seed lost in 1st Rd to #8 Seed Rhode Island 74-68. Glenn Robinson had 36 in loss for Pur.

1994 Pur ranked 3rd: Big 10 Champ: #1 Seed (Might Be 2nd Best team since 1980 Final 4 team. Glenn Robinson's last year). Lost in Regional Final Elite 8 to #2 Seed Duke and Grant Hill 69-60. Duke lost in Finals.

1995 Big 10 Champ: #3 Seed lost in 2nd Rd to Memphis on last Sec Off put back 75-73. If Glenn had stayed his senior year. This very likely would have been a Final 4 team.

1996 Pur ranked 4th: Big 10 Champ: #1 Seed lost in 2nd Rd to #8 Seed Georgia 76-69. That was a game coming off 3 Big 10 Championships where Purdue fans had a right to be angry. Almost lost to #16 Seeded Western Carolina winning 73-71.

1997 #8 Seed lost in 2nd Rd to #1 Seed and #1 rated Kansas 75-61.

1998 #2 Seed lost in Regional Semi to #3 Seed Stanford 67-59. Stanford went on to Final 4.

1999 #10 Seed lost in Regional Semi to #6 Seed Temple 77-55.

2000 #6 Seed lost to #8 Seed Wisconsin 64-60. Missed a few crucial FT's late. I realized Keady would never get to Final 4.

2003 #9 Seed lost to #1 Seed Final 4 Bound Texas 77-67.

2007 #9 Seed lost to #1 Seed and #1 rated eventual repeat champ Florida in 2nd Rd in a game that was close 74-67.

2008 #6 Seed lost in 2nd Rd to #3 Seed Xavier 85-78.

2009 #5 Seed Pur Big 10 Conf Champ: Lost in Regional Semi to #1 Seed Final 4 Bound U Conn 72-60.

2010 #4 Seed Pur fell out of top 3 ranking after Hummel injury. May have went to Final 4 if Robbie does not get hurt. Lost in Regional Semi to #1 Seed and eventual champ Duke.

2011 #3 Seed Pur lost in 2nd Rd to #11 Seed VCU 94-76. Hummel injured again before season.

2012 #10 Seed Pur lost in 2nd Rd to Kansas team that made Final's 63-60 in a close game Purdue had lead by 6 at halftime.

2015 #9 Pur loses in 1st rd to #8 Seed Cincy team that Purdue lead by 4 with 43 secs left with the ball in reg losing in OT.

First after reading thru the years. You see Purdue has not done well in drawing opponents. Purdue seems to
end up in the region with teams that played very well in the NCAA Tournament. Not the best draws over the years.

The 88 Team which may have been the best team since the 80 team is the most heartbreaking team. It had blown
out Kansas St around Xmas at home. Had won blow outs in first 2 NCAA Rd's. Had the great trio of Troy Lewis, Everette Stephens and Todd Mitchell along with really good role players and talent such as Tony Jones and Stephen Scheffler. Purdue went 16-2 in the Big 10 with IU as defending NCAA champion. That year Purdue was like 7-1 on national television. Purdue up 9 at halftime on KSU. Seemed like in control and in 2nd half Mitch Richmond went off. Mitch banked in a 3 pter late and as mentioned Stephens dribbled ball off his foot late out of bounds down 1. Considering that team had the horses to win it all (Kansas beat KSU in regional final with Danny Manning winning it all). The Cincy lost pales in comparison. PICK YOUR MOST HEARTBREAKING LOSS.

This post was edited on 3/21 6:37 AM by TJBoiler

This post was edited on 3/21 6:51 AM by TJBoiler

This post was edited on 3/21 6:52 AM by TJBoiler

#1 1988 without a doubt. I was 10 and went to the regular season game against KSU that Purdue won by about 30. I remember watching the tournament game in disbelief. Thought for sure they were going to win the National Championship that year. My first (of many) experience of being let down by Purdue :)

#2 1994 losing to Duke. Purdue was good, really good. I will always be a Purdue fan, but have to be honest that since that game I have had no belief that Purdue will ever make the Final Four. I hope I am wrong, but I am convinced that Purdue is jinxed.

This loss was really no big deal. I knew it was a tough game. Honestly, I did want to play Kentucky. I wanted these kids to see what an elite programs looks and plays like. You don't get a chance to play Calipari or Pitino Sr often or ever in your life. Seeing players lead by legends would probably teach them something. Maybe make an impact on them for next year.

Originally posted by beenhummeled?:
#1 1988 without a doubt. I was 10 and went to the regular season game against KSU that Purdue won by about 30. I remember watching the tournament game in disbelief. Thought for sure they were going to win the National Championship that year. My first (of many) experience of being let down by Purdue :)

#2 1994 losing to Duke. Purdue was good, really good. I will always be a Purdue fan, but have to be honest that since that game I have had no belief that Purdue will ever make the Final Four. I hope I am wrong, but I am convinced that Purdue is jinxed.
Sounds like a similar experience to me. I was 12 when the '88 team was in the tourney. IU had won the title the year before so I had to hear all of them talk shit for a year, mostly bandwagon fans. But, Purdue was awesome in '88, and I thought it was our turn. I had attended the Purdue basketball camp the summer before and met all the players, watched most of the games. I was invested. That loss was a killer and my first real experience of the letdowns that come with being a Purdue fan. Obviously the '94 team was also a huge disappointment because I thought Big Dog would finally be that star that could push them over the edge. But the 2000 team seems to stick out for me. Purdue was a bit of an underdog as a #6 seed, but they got what I thought was a favorable draw, and some upsets occurred. The #1 and #2 seeds were upset and Purdue took care of #3 seed Oklahoma. All they had to do was beat #10 Gonzaga which they did, and then #8 Wisconsin and they'd be in the Final 4. But they just couldn't get over the hump with Wisconsin in a very close game. I thought that was the best chance they'd had at a Final 4 since I started watching. Very disappointing.

I was 22 in 88 and went over to friend's house who was IU fan to watch Purdue - KSU game. I think it was a Thursday nite and we were swigging Beers. Purdue was up 9 at halftime. Everything seemed in control. Then 2nd half started and I think Mitch Richmond came down within 1st minute swished 2 3pters. Cutting Purdue lead to 3. My IU friend looked at me and said uh oh.... It was a dog fight from then on. Lewis could not get open late and Mitchell missed some interior shots he usually hits. Stephens played well but infamously with about 30 secs left down 1 after KSU FT dribbled ball coming down court off his foot. Purdue fouled. KSU hit both FT's and Purdue missed a long 3 at buzzer to tie. Just would like have play back before dribble off his foot. I had that game taped on VHS. When I came home first thing I did was take that video tape out of my VCR which I had set up to tape game. I took it and I just ripped that cassette to pieces. LOL Today I wish I still had it... I still have the 94 and 2000 Regional losses on tapes somewhere. Vowing to never throw them away until Purdue gets to Final 4.

After 94 loss to Duke I turned radio on and heard Larry Clisby say "Purdue fans our day will come." LMAO How funny is that today. If Purdue does one day make Final 4 it will indeed be alot sweeter then say Kentucky making it for Kentucky fans.

BTW What I find interesting about that list is it seems after Purdue lost those tough games. The victor went on and had alot of success... Keady in an interview before playing Kansas in 97 said that he put too much pressure on his teams early in his career in tournament. After accepting that these one and done games are soo much dependent on the roll of the dice and fate. Keady said he changed his mind set you should go out and have fun in the tournament and enjoy playing. After that change of philosophy. Keady's teams played much better in tournament reaching elite 8 twice.

Just remember if Robinson stayed his senior year which is laughable today. Purdue would have been awesome in 95. Fans who criticize Painter should go back and watch those games in 2010 before Hummel got hurt. Purdue was beating good teams like MSU & OSU on road and still made the sweet 16. That 2010 team was a Final 4 team before Hummel got hurt.

Many of those tournament games really are etched in my memory. The thing that stands out the most is that in many of those games, Purdue had a lead in the second half. I distinctly remember Chad Austin hitting a three that put Purdue in front of Kansas (after trailing), but Kansas then went on a huge run to close the game. Likewise, I remember Hummel hitting a three to give Purdue a similar short lived lead against UCONN in the second half. I believe Purdue also led in the second half against both Florida and Duke in the last 10 years, and of course, there was the Kansas game a few years ago.

Most painful was the loss against Texas when Tony Jones went coast to coast for the game winning lay-up. UT's 6'10" center blocked it coming off the glass. Clear goal-tend and no call which sent Texas on to next game in Dallas. Felt like the kids were cheated to help CBS with a better crowd in the next round. 2nd most painful was 1994 elite 8 game when it was obvious that Glen Robinson was hurt. Pain was for Keady.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT