ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue (4) v. Kansas (1) Game Thread (NCAA Midwest Regional Semi-Final)

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Well Ladies and Gentleman....it's almost here....Purdue's biggest test of the year, and its first "Sweet 16" contest since 2010. Awaiting the Boilers in Kansas City are the top-seeded Kansas Jayhawks, who have been in the title-contender conversation (and ranked in the top 3 most of the year) all season. The winner advances to the Regional Final on Saturday, for the right to advance to the Final Four in Phoenix next weekend. Television coverage is on CBS with an announcing team of Kevin Harlan, Reggie Miller, and Dan Bonner.

Similar to the previous contest, this game features a match-up of contrasting styles, although Kansas does have more of a traditional inside presence and plays off of that more so than Iowa State. Nonetheless, the Jayhawks can still spread the floor and have some versatile guards, who are terrific in a transition game. The Boilers will really need to limit transition opportunities.

The Jayhawks are a worthy No. 1 seed, despite being knocked out early in the Big XII conference tournament. This a very talented team led by point man Frank Mason III, who is a leading contender for national player of the year honors, along with Purdue's Caleb "Biggie" Swanigan.

If Purdue is going to win, it’s gonna have to be clicking on offense like it was vs. Iowa State. One area of concern for Kansas: depth. If foul trouble hits, that could hamper Bill Self’s team. The Josh Jackson/Vincent Edwards match-up could end up being the decider on which way this game goes. And don't be surprised if Carsen Edwards shines well in the spotlight. If Purdue can play smart on offense (limit the turnovers and pick its spots for inside/outside play),contain the Kansas transition game and avoid foul trouble, they can stay right in it until the end, even in a hostile environment.

Toward that atmosphere, from Isaac Haas:

"We know it'll be hostile there, but we can draw energy from that. Gotta put ourselves in best position possible."

No question, though, the inspirational leader of the team is Caleb Swanigan.....he's become Purdue's all-time single-season leader in rebounds with a work ethic, technique, and voracious appetite for the boards, second to none. And on trusting his teammates, Swanigan said it's about passing a ball the way you'd want it passed to you. That level of unselfishness from the team's best player and offensive focal point has instilled greater trust throughout the lineup.

"You know if you throw it in it's not a black hole. I'll get it back out if I'm doubled. And I know if they don't have a shot they'll swing it to the next guy, and he'll do the same for them."

From PJ Thompson:

"When your best player is willing to pass the ball, it's huge. There's a trust level that goes with that, and he trusts our team. "

From Vincent Edwards:

"He's just being a student of the game. He's being Biggie."

Purdue needs a Biggie Night.

This will be the fourth meeting between the schools in the NCAA tournament. In 1994, the Boilers led by Glenn Robinson prevailed, and the Jayhawks have won the last two in 1997 and 2012. Can Purdue even things up at two games apiece? We're about to find out.....

Enjoy the game. Boiler up, my friends.

0ef3b29be4aa0725f0ab597a00daf862.jpg

51491a0fe53ddfd52ea7f8fd43070275.jpg

Last edited:
Cant wait for this game. I hope Purdue has a good game. How awesome would it be to win? Boiler up.

Reactions: PU pit bull
I want the win don't get me wrong......I want them to play great basketball, if they lose and play great and get beat by a better team I can live with it just don't give the game away by stupid mistakes BTFU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT