ADVERTISEMENT

Pelini fired by Nebraska

arcb102000

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
He won consistently there. Their fan base expected more. I would not mind seeing him in WL.

Originally posted by arcb102000:
He won consistently there. Their fan base expected more. I would not mind seeing him in WL.
Not sure I'd take him or not ... have to think that one through. But on the flip side, he got canned and like you said won consistently and we need to do the same. We all expect and deserve more than what we have right now.

Don't forget that he might bring some pretty good recruits along with him.

IIEC, he pulled a good one away from Purdue in the aftermath of Hope going away.

Who knows, after last night maybe ND might want him!
This post was edited on 11/30 12:24 PM by arcb102000

Nebraska fires Pelini with a 9-3 record and Purdue is likely to keep Hazell with a 3-9 record.

Yes, Pelini did win consistently at Nebraska. So did Fred Akers win consistently at Texas. Bob Davie also won consistently at ND (as did Charlie Weiss). They just didn't win enough. All these schools have one thing in common. They're football factories and high talent recruits just about walk in the front door to be part of their legendary programs. Mediocre head coaches can still have winning albeit not outstanding records at these schools just because their rosters are packed with high talent players. However, note that neither Akers nor Davie (nor Weiss) were able to able to achieve any success after becoming head coaches at lesser programs. I suspect that they were not accustomed to having to scrap for recruits or for top notch assistants at the lesser programs. Coaching at the lesser programs probably exposed their coaching weaknesses: inability to recruit, to develop players, and to manage games.

We need another coach like Joe Tiller. Success at a lower tier program over a long enough time frame to show continuous improvement in recruiting, developing players and game management. Also note that Cowboy Joe had dedicated assistants who followed him to West Lafayette. So did Jerry Kill, at Minnesota, who also fits this description. Unfortunately, he's not available and, even worse, Purdue will go against his teams every year. So, is this guy from Colorado a possibility?

Possible Head Coaches

Bill Legg
Dina Babers

Assistant coaches
Lance Leipold
Guy from colorado

What do you think about bringing Legg back? Check out Marshall before answering too.....

I doubt that Michigan goes after him as a Head Coach. Gotta give Nebraska some credit swallowing over $7.6 million due Bo since they fired him if the reports of his money due are correct! They believe he will never take the Huskers back to National Prominence and had the guts enough to make a chance be it right or wrong!

Hoke at Michigan will probably be next to see the un-employment line with Wilson at IU and our own Hazell at Purdue squarely on the hot seat for next season in the B1G. Can't wait to see what the season tickets sales will be for our next football season if Shoop and the O-Line coach return!

Nebraska should go after the guy at Colo. St., former Bama coach. Scott Frost wouldn't be bad but I think they go after someone w/ a defensive backround. Mullen would be a home run .

Bob Stitt has already achieved a 90-57 (.612) record and he's definitely an innovator! If we could get him, he'd be among my first choices for HC. Bill Legg is an interesting thought. He lacks head coaching experience but, so did a guy named Jack Mollenkopf. I think Mollenkopf built his credentials as an assistant coaching the line (back then, offensive line and defensive line were the same players :) Bill Legg has solid assistant coaching credentials. As the OC at Purdue, he can be credited for putting together some of the big ten's best offensive teams in (2006-07?).

I'm ALL about Bill Legg as the OC.

He was great when he was here. Not really HC material IMO...but he'd bring us back to competent offensively.

Hoke will have a long illustrious career on Live AM radio doing pregame Wolverine football from Buffalo Wild Wings in Yipsilante.

I like the idea of Pelini coming to WL as a coordinator. Have Hazel be the HC with Pelini and one other high level guy like him as coordinators. Those guys would have the reputation and ability to recruit players and lower level assistant coaches to teach the details of each position. One of the things that hurt Hope was the level of his assistants. Rosevelt Colvin told me exactly that about previous Hope coached Boiler squads. Likewise with Hazel. I would like to see him work with a quality staff around the team before I judge his head coaching aptitude. And this was a very large factor during the end of Joe Tiller's time as HC for Purdue. He had to regenerate a staff two times. That staff was very effective as it began it's time in WL, but fell off as the staff overturned. I know I will not get my wish on this, but I felt like sharing my thoughts.

p
This post was edited on 12/2 7:36 PM by Inspector100

Time will tell but Nebraska may be sorry someday. Pelini was a good coach but bad at kissing alumni a$$. I would rather not have Pelini as a coach now that he has been at another Big 10 school, but I would not be against it if it happened.

I know I'm typically one to point out that Purdue's "not at a disadvantage" and things of that nature, but if there's one thing Purdue DOES need, it's a coach that can connect with fans (and donors). This is NOT a unique thing to Purdue - there's few places where this doesn't matter. A place like Nebraska which isn't necessarily short on money and has a diehard fan base doesn't need a "people's" type of coach. There's probably around 10 schools in the nation that this doesn't matter.

Purdue can't have a coach who everyone thinks is a jackass.

That being said, while I'm not "in the mix" in terms of major donors and I'm also far away from campus, it doesn't seem like Hazell has a lot of interaction with donors (I could be wrong).

I was suprised by the Nebraska hire too. I guess he recruits texas well, and has produced resonably at a traditional doormat.

I presume they have been eyeing him for sometime now.

He was one of the leading candidates at USC when Carroll went to Seattle.

Oregon State is, as someone said, not easy to win at. Comparing results at Nebraska vs. Oregon State is like comparing results at Alabama vs. Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT