ADVERTISEMENT

Painter will never get Purdue to the FF.

Cringe-worthy takes, indeed.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed that the once ever-present Collegehoopsfan123 suddenly went **poof** as soon as we reached the F4?

Besides the obvious OP glaring error......we learned in this thread....

"Loyer will have his jersey in the rafters and will go down as one of the best shooters since Mount"

That would be nice if true....great really, but Mount was great as a sophomore, so clearly not there so far. Having seen Mount play, the jump Loyer would have to make to get to Mount's level (AA) is like jumping over the Grand Canyon. Not saying he will, but Loyer is closer to losing his starting spot by spring of 25 than being an AA.

Reactions: northside100
Ol’ Bonehead was a little blustery last year, wasn’t he? As far as the doing more with less thing, it’s pretty hard to do more than have 2 of the best players in the country at their respective positions, surrounded by awesome talent and gritty hard workers. And I suppose both of them being overlooked recruits that Painter sought and molded doesn’t even matter, but it’s not like either were blue chippers. Bonehead already graciously ate crow on Smith. If he gets a bit of razzing for some of the takes in this thread I think it’s deserved, and he can handle it. He put it out there. And the crow probably tastes like fillet mignon to him anyway, he’s a Boiler.

Last edited:
Haha sorry I was just trying to poke fun at bone. And you’re right….totally my fault and I will take full responsibility. Again, my bad.
It’s clearly not beneath me, though I can understand why some would resent having this recirculated. No shame in being wrong but there are some embarrassing hot takes in the thread.

It’s clearly not beneath me, though I can understand why some would resent having this recirculated. No shame in being wrong but there are some embarrassing hot takes in the thread.
It's not the recirculating. It's the dead horse beating. Whether it's wole or eastern mom or bone or whoever. Some here just can never ever let a thing go. Never seen anything like it.

It's not the recirculating. It's the dead horse beating. Whether it's wole or eastern mom or bone or whoever. Some here just can never ever let a thing go. Never seen anything like it.
Just was poking some fun during the offseason with not much going on…it’s ok…bone can take it…and if he can’t, I apologize to you @bonefish1…but pretty sure he will be all good with it

Just was poking some fun during the offseason with not much going on…it’s ok…bone can take it…and if he can’t, I apologize to you @bonefish1…but pretty sure he will be all good with it
I know he can. I'm not defending him (contrary to dopey Andy's singular thought). He said silly things. He got hammered for it and he came and took it. It's just not my thing. Carry on.

But you have never understood context. That's on you.

If you are offended because you see yourself in these threads being called out for making dumb statements, either stop making dumb statements or get a thicker skin. Your son has had some doozies of dumb comments, and doubled down repeatedly, but he keeps coming back. How many years has he called for Painter being fired? I know it's a mother's instinct to protect her baby, but as far as we know, he's a grown-up now and can make his own mistakes and deal with the feedback.

If you are offended because you see yourself in these threads being called out for making dumb statements, either stop making dumb statements or get a thicker skin. Your son has had some doozies of dumb comments, and doubled down repeatedly, but he keeps coming back. How many years has he called for Painter being fired? I know it's a mother's instinct to protect her baby, but as far as we know, he's a grown-up now and can make his own mistakes and deal with the feedback.
Reading through this thread as I mistakenly just did, holy cow the takes in there were....... something. Now, to Lenny's credit he has stepped up and seen the light and I commend him for that.

I haven't been back long but so far he is the only one of the few that has swallowed the crow willingly. Now, that doesn't mean others haven't as well, I just haven't been back here long enough to see it.

The posts were 100% emotional and not based any real logic as Painter just proved. And I think with the class coming in, is likely to get back to the mountain top sooner rather than later.

Also one thing I didn't know is that last summer, Painter himself went around learning from other coaches or something like that to fix the gaps he saw in himself. THAT is the kind of leader we need .. one that will never be perfect, never make the right calls 100% of the time, but one that will fix gaps and adjust. And that adjusting I think we'll see over the next couple years as the team as a whole is going to be dramatically more athletic and high scoring.

I'm excited for things to come. Next season as I have said my expectations are tamed and all I would expect to see is us in the tourney anywhere from a 3 to 5 seed... that in of itself would be great considering the gaping hole that we have to fill in regards to Zach being gone.

Exhibit A on "never say never."

Of course, angst was running so high around here last spring that probably no amount of boilerepherine was gong to calm the hyperbolic hot takes.

Reactions: BBG

I was going to make a long nuanced reply here about how i literally did not defend or protect him in any way in these posts. Then I remembered you are a smooth brain and wouldn't understand anyway. So once again stop responding to me.

Reading through this thread as I mistakenly just did, holy cow the takes in there were....... something. Now, to Lenny's credit he has stepped up and seen the light and I commend him for that.

I haven't been back long but so far he is the only one of the few that has swallowed the crow willingly. Now, that doesn't mean others haven't as well, I just haven't been back here long enough to see it.

The posts were 100% emotional and not based any real logic as Painter just proved. And I think with the class coming in, is likely to get back to the mountain top sooner rather than later.

Also one thing I didn't know is that last summer, Painter himself went around learning from other coaches or something like that to fix the gaps he saw in himself. THAT is the kind of leader we need .. one that will never be perfect, never make the right calls 100% of the time, but one that will fix gaps and adjust. And that adjusting I think we'll see over the next couple years as the team as a whole is going to be dramatically more athletic and high scoring.

I'm excited for things to come. Next season as I have said my expectations are tamed and all I would expect to see is us in the tourney anywhere from a 3 to 5 seed... that in of itself would be great considering the gaping hole that we have to fill in regards to Zach being gone.
Would love nothing more to make the S16 and be in the Midwest region which is in Indy. That’d be great. …oh and 3 Pete ( 😏 )

Ha true enough! Doing any of that would be something.
Welllll…we have all summer to enjoy this last run and also speculate how we are going to get down to 13 scholarships 😂

I think we have an ok non conf record and finish top 3 in B1G by starting to play our best ball at end of Jan and get to S16.

But who knows haha

Reactions: northside100

Definitely agree with this. As I've said before, I won't be surprised or disappointed if Purdue gets off to a rocky start next year while searching for it's post-Edey identity.

But, I also won't be surprised if Purdue puts together a January/February run and beats expectations in the B1G. Next year's team will be talented and athletic. Painter is a good enough coach to put it all together.

Definitely agree with this. As I've said before, I won't be surprised or disappointed if Purdue gets off to a rocky start next year while searching for it's post-Edey identity.

But, I also won't be surprised if Purdue puts together a January/February run and beats expectations in the B1G. Next year's team will be talented and athletic. Painter is a good enough coach to put it all together.

As long as Braden Smith stays injury free the sky is the limit.

But that guy is key. Might be B10 MVP next year?? But WAY more important than that, he makes the 2-5 better. Way better. And the young guys will grow because of him, learn because of him and be a team because of him. No one else Purdue has comes close to that.

As long as Braden Smith stays injury free the sky is the limit.

But that guy is key. Might be B10 MVP next year?? But WAY more important than that, he makes the 2-5 better. Way better. And the young guys will grow because of him, learn because of him and be a team because of him. No one else Purdue has comes close to that.
If BSmith is in contention for BTPOY Purdue will be very, very good. If you look at the 2019 MSU team that won the B10 and made the FF, they had some good players but Winston was the only superstar. If BSmith plays at that level I think the rest of our roster can hang with that MSU squad.

If BSmith is in contention for BTPOY Purdue will be very, very good. If you look at the 2019 MSU team that won the B10 and made the FF, they had some good players but Winston was the only superstar. If BSmith plays at that level I think the rest of our roster can hang with that MSU squad.
I can mostly get behind this. Big jump from Smith, get more from TKR, Loyer, Colvin and Heide…team could be good.

Absolutely have to play and mix in Catchings and Harris in a big way.

Team should be fun!

Agree. But Purdue can still be very good even if he's not BTPOY as he is a likely 1St teamer anyway. Injury free, he just makes every better and with so many frosh, Smith's need is even greater. Smith might not score at the level of a typical BTPOY.....but still Purdue isn't going anywhere next year without him @ 100%.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Agree. But Purdue can still be very good even if he's not BTPOY as he is a likely 1St teamer anyway. Injury free, he just makes everyone better and with so many frosh, Smith's need is even greater. Smith might not score at the level of a typical BTPOY.....but still Purdue isn't going anywhere next year without him @ 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG
And if we lost to Gonzaga or Tennessee you'd be in here whining about how we can't make the final 4 because everyone cheats except us.
Link where I said “ everyone cheats except us” ??

There’s one of us who whined last year and it ain’t me…

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT