ADVERTISEMENT

Over and back call on Lance

gelesen

Sophomore
Feb 5, 2003
I was confused on this call. Looked like he was straddling the line with the ball still in the backcourt while dribbling. Thought both the ball and feet had to be in the frontcourt before you were ruled in the frontcourt. Didn't look to me like we ever established himself i the frontcourt yet over and back was called.

While the ball never hit the frontcourt, I think the ref was saying that the ball crossed half court in the air while Lance was dribbling. Not a good idea to cut it that close anyway and give the ref a reason to call it.

Reactions: Schnelk and drewjin
I thought it was a bad call, but play looks a lot different live then it does on TV. Yes, he should of known there was a potential to get trapped in that situation.

he established himself in the front court and one of his dribbles was across the line in the backcourt causing the violation.

he established himself in the front court, dibbled the ball in the front court, but then one if his dribbles went over the line into the backcourt. that’s is what the ref told him and what it looked like to me in real time. i have not watched the replay, but that was the call.

he established himself in the front court, dibbled the ball in the front court, but then one if his dribbles went over the line into the backcourt. that’s is what the ref told him and what it looked like to me in real time. i have not watched the replay, but that was the call.
If true, you're correct. However in real time I never saw the ball cross over and told my wife it was a bad call. I'll have to watch the replay.

That's not a violation if the ball never crossed the line. You can stand with your feet inside the half court line and dribble the ball on the other side as long as it doesn't cross.
three things must be in the front court, but only one thing can go back over the line

Reactions: PurdueDave
I was confused on this call. Looked like he was straddling the line with the ball still in the backcourt while dribbling. Thought both the ball and feet had to be in the frontcourt before you were ruled in the frontcourt. Didn't look to me like we ever established himself i the frontcourt yet over and back was called.
Was it Lance or Braden dribbling towards us? Yeah, unless things change and I don't think it did...3 points must cross before it is across and then at least one must go back over for over and back. The ball not touching over into the backcourt I do not believe counts no more than say a player trying to save a ball that is outside and his feet are inside the court and he grabs the ball and throw it off the other player. I didn't see the ball go back over to the other side, but I could be wrong. My eyes are not as good as I wish on clarity at times. I haven't watched the game again and so I really don't know

Reactions: Schnelk
It was Lance. Someone put the video up on Twitter last night. He got his feet over but not the ball. I haven't studied the rule but from what I know already it was an incorrect call.

Reactions: tjreese
The irony is THAT play is a textbook example of the straddle rule/guidance in the rulebook. DJ isn't the nearest official, but he is watching it enough to be able to overrule or at least discuss. Yet, the official who blew the call overruled one at another point in the game from well away from the play. Chalk this up to officials make mistakes - would have at least liked LaPhonso Ellis to say something - or, how bout some replays, FOX?

I'll give Brando some slack because it was his first time @ the RAC, and he was still thinking up some of his country boy Jim Nantz lines.....haha.

At least the officials were fairly consistent with the calls from half-to-half. Good for the Boilers to get this one in the rear view mirror.

End of Monday rant until someone steps on my lawn! :)

dana-carvey-grumpy-old-man.gif

Last edited:
The irony is THAT play is a textbook example of the straddle rule/guidance in the rulebook. DJ isn't the nearest official, but he is watching it enough to be able to overrule or at least discuss. Yet, the official who blew the call overruled one at another point in the game from well away from the play. Chalk this up to officials make mistakes - would have at least liked LaPhonso Ellis to say something - or, how bout some replays, FOX?

I'll give Brando some slack because it was his first time @ the RAC, and he was still thinking up some of his country boy Jim Nantz lines.....haha.

At least the officials were fairly consistent with the calls from half-to-half. Good for the Boilers to get this one in the rear view mirror.

Bad call and like you said no replay on Fox...and then the announcers were not watching close enough to know it was a bad call. Of all the difficult, judgement calls that exist in a game...THAT was an easy no call

Bad call and like you said no replay on Fox...and then the announcers were not watching close enough to know it was a bad call. Of all the difficult, judgement calls that exist in a game...THAT was an easy no call
Think it was an anticipation call, with the ref assuming from the sharp angle Jones moved laterally, that the ball "must have" crossed already. It clearly hadn't.

Reactions: tjreese
Think it was an anticipation call, with the ref assuming from the sharp angle Jones moved laterally, that the ball "must have" crossed already. It clearly hadn't.
Ya know I'll bet technology could pick up feet and ball presence due to pressure in the gym floor, but boy would that be expensive. ;) Outside of lasers for ball location around the rim or embedded in the rim I'm not sure how ball location can be measured and that too would be costly. Just don't want additional rules to leading to more mistakes that may be less significant than many calls in a game

Brando and Phonse are awful. Even Mrs New Pal noticed. Asked if we could mute them.

Ya know I'll bet technology could pick up feet and ball presence due to pressure in the gym floor, but boy would that be expensive. ;) Outside of lasers for ball location around the rim or embedded in the rim I'm not sure how ball location can be measured and that too would be costly. Just don't want additional rules to leading to more mistakes that may be less significant than many calls in a game
It would cost next to nothing to put 8 rfid chips around the two equators of the basketball with detectors on the half court line.

It would cost next to nothing to put 8 rfid chips around the two equators of the basketball with detectors on the half court line.
Take it a bit further. How hard would it be to have a computer do 5 second counts on inbounds or 10 second calls on crossing mid court?

Reactions: Abugabby
One reason I appreciate Hummel is he pays attetion to what is happenung on the court. To many big name announcers don't know enough about the teams, their tendencies, and they start telling stories about things that have nothing to do with the action on the court.

Let’s put them around the NFL fields and in the ball also, so we can get rid of these refs running in from the sideline marking with their foot where they think a football under a pile of large human beings might happen to be.

Some “interesting” calls yesterday besides the Lance “over and back”. I’m still curious how Fletch got a Flagrant 1 reach-in at Maryland for “no play on the ball”, but a Rutgers player can just grab Zach’s shoulders and pull down as he is shooting?

Some “interesting” calls yesterday besides the Lance “over and back”. I’m still curious how Fletch got a Flagrant 1 reach-in at Maryland for “no play on the ball”, but a Rutgers player can just grab Zach’s shoulders and pull down as he is shooting?
Brando said cuz he’s really big that’s OK.

You need the baseline and sidelines as well as both arcs and why I thought of the floor. The rim for goal tending and such.

Take it a bit further. How hard would it be to have a computer do 5 second counts on inbounds or 10 second calls on crossing mid court?
That would still be dependent on the start count by when the ref hands the ball and possession to start the 10 seconds. Like all technology at some point a human has a chance for error. Could you imagine the problems though when a glitch happened and all the colleges calling Purdue to solve their problems. ;)

That was a bad call if I recall correctly. It was an obvious call to save a basket, but thought Fletch went for the ball and apparently that view was not held by the ref

That was a bad call if I recall correctly. It was an obvious call to save a basket, but thought Fletch went for the ball and apparently that view was not held by the ref
don't know why they let RU wear their away uni's at home, both teams wearing dark uni's could lead to issues

Let’s put them around the NFL fields and in the ball also, so we can get rid of these refs running in from the sideline marking with their foot where they think a football under a pile of large human beings might happen to be.

on a related note, remember this beauty from the Wizard himself, Steratore?

The call on Fletch is called very inconsistently. There are so many times when teams are fouling at the end of games to try a comeback, that there is no play on the ball at all. But those are hardly ever called flagrant or intentional like Fletcher's was. His foul was absolutely intentional, even though he didn't have to do it as we had a defender or two back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT