ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texans players plan to protest, NFL burning to the ground before our eyes

Try again. Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mennonites, and others do not and honestly it doesn’t just have to be only them but also anyone who has the belief that the flag is an idol and they only worship God and no other idols.

There's a difference between showing respect for something and worshiping it, but that wouldn't fit your narrative.
lol... if you think the general population of the US doesn’t worship the flag, I think you need to take another look at your narrative.

Reactions: bullett
So you support the President but tune him out when he disrespects the troops.

But you cancel support for NFL players when they do.

You hold NFL players to a higher standard than the President.

No problem, you go ahead and twist everything you want to fit your narrative. You will anyway, since facts matter very little to you. SMH

Reactions: w_sohl
lol... if you think the general population of the US doesn’t worship the flag, I think you need to take another look at your narrative.

Apparently, you can't or won't differentiate between worship and respect. Nothing I can say will change your warped perspective, so have a nice day.

It sure seems like it's been pretty damn effective to me. Maybe they should kneel during the Friday walk-thrus so as not to offend you?
I suppose you're serious. It's been completely ineffective. Is anyone talking about oppression or police brutality? Very few. Instead, it has created a great discussion about patriotism, freedom of speech, and declining ratings for the NFL. Instead, the protestors are spending all their time defending themselves. That's really effective? Similar to Black Lives Matter. It's created a discussion about all lives mattering, and the remaining discussion is whether protestors should be able to block traffic and loot without being arrested. All this stuff could make a positive difference if there was better leadership on the side of the protestors, and enough brains to protest smartly to get the discussion focused on something they want. Unfortunately, it's all bad strategy that is just creating a much bigger divide.

Last edited:
No problem, you go ahead and twist everything you want to fit your narrative. You will anyway, since facts matter very little to you. SMH
You responded by saying that your reaction to the NFL players' kneeling was to take action and no longer support them:
but this incident annoyed me enough to make me cancel my four season tickets.
You also said that you tune the president out, but you will still support him because you like his results:
Regarding Trump, I've learned to tune him out. I pay little attention to what he says anymore and watch only what he does. Too often, I've wanted to reach into the TV and slap him, when he started saying ridiculous things. Obama was articulate and almost destroyed the country, whereas Trump has the vocabulary of a Fifth grader, but he's getting some positive results. I'll take results over rhetoric every time.
These are not equal reactions at all, as one has caused you to completely cut off support and the other has caused you some angst but you'll "take results."

It goes back to the entire point of my post: I cannot understand being so angry by the NFL players' actions...and not what this President has said. I didn't expect someone to come in and make my point as much as you had though, so I do thank you for that.

In short: I think it's worth pondering why the actions of the NFL players are more offensive to the troops than the words of the President.

Police brutality and racist justice system, wow. Don't break the law and you don't have to deal with either of those things.

Not true.

Police brutality and eager use of a firearm can be real issues. It’s well documented, and boldly ignorant to say that it doesn’t happen.

There is also a universe of people with mental health issues (and families) who struggle daily to maintain their health. Cases have shown that inadequate training of police forces combined with an eagerness to pull their sidearm and use it, have lead to some horrific and avoidable outcomes. In 2015, approximately 25% of the people shot and killed by police showed signs of mental illness.

If we’re all here rooting for Purdue, can’t we take pride in the incredibly brilliant people who brought this university’s name to prominence? Are we this eager to run away from intelligent understanding and solutions to complex problems? For such an academically bright history, some folks here should hang their heads in shame for the simple-minded ignorance on display.

If this movement was started by a white athlete who wanted to shed light on the issue of police brutality against those with mental health issues, would you still be so eager to say “just don’t break the law, and you’ll be fine?”

I was at Saints-Bears today, and the crowd booed the ten or so Saints players who knelt before the anthem. And then they got right into The Who Dat, and the stadium was full, still sold out for season tickets since 2006.

I don't think the flag kneeling is causing anything long term to "burn down", but it sure is fun to read about week after week!

Reactions: Smattson
I just wish the players were protesting the issues that are really tearing apart the African American community. The isolated instances of police violence against African Americans is a pimple on an elephant compared to issues such as single parent households, teen pregnancy, gang membership/violence, drug abuse, lack of educational achievement and cyclical poverty. These protests are simply a distraction from the real issues that are absolutely destroying their communities.
ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

The players work for the owners, period. If they don't like working for their employers they have the option of quitting. It will be the players demise, not the owners. The owners can find plenty of other ways of making money, can the players? No.
You really think owning an NFL team is primarily about making money for the owners? It's a prestige thing above all else. Plus, if the league collapses (it's not going to, and anyone who says it is, is a clueless moron), the owners lose ALL THEIR INVESTMENT. They can't recoup the $1B value of their investment if the league goes under and they can't sell the franchise.

The owners and players are each a part of a symbiotic relationship, and most of them are millionaires that could retire tomorrow if they wanted. It's not like a standard job, where people are much more replaceable. Nobody would pay to watch you play football.

Police brutality and racist justice system, wow. Don't break the law and you don't have to deal with either of those things.

Not true.

Police brutality and eager use of a firearm can be real issues. It’s well documented, and boldly ignorant to say that it doesn’t happen.

There is also a universe of people with mental health issues (and families) who struggle daily to maintain their health. Cases have shown that inadequate training of police forces combined with an eagerness to pull their sidearm and use it, have lead to some horrific and avoidable outcomes. In 2015, approximately 25% of the people shot and killed by police showed signs of mental illness.

If we’re all here rooting for Purdue, can’t we take pride in the incredibly brilliant people who brought this university’s name to prominence? Are we this eager to run away from intelligent understanding and solutions to complex problems? For such an academically bright history, some folks here should hang their heads in shame for the simple-minded ignorance on display.

If this movement was started by a white athlete who wanted to shed light on the issue of police brutality against those with mental health issues, would you still be so eager to say “just don’t break the law, and you’ll be fine?”

What’s the solution?

I just wish the players were protesting the issues that are really tearing apart the African American community. The isolated instances of police violence against African Americans is a pimple on an elephant compared to issues such as single parent households, teen pregnancy, gang membership/violence, drug abuse, lack of educational achievement and cyclical poverty. These protests are simply a distraction from the real issues that are absolutely destroying their communities.
No offense but thats just shifting any blame away from a group that is clearly acting improperly in many instances with little to no punishment.

So many black kids grow up without a father and in a poor neighborhood. You probably grew up in a middle class family with both parents (as did I), which means we have no comprehension for how challenging that life is unless you actually sit down and listen to folks that lived it. Most of what you mentioned are symptoms of a feedback loop, predicated from decades of racial injustice.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. And, it's precisely the point that is being made. Without breaking the law people do face all manner of injustice. That you do not recognize that is stunning.

Reactions: Purduer
His behavior is not wise. But I’d love to see how you’d react to people attacking you with unsubstantiated accusations for over 2 years. How’d you handle it?

I mean, is your implication that he is the only president who has ever had to deal with people attacking him with unsubstantiated accusations? I would completely disagree and point out that the rest appear to have dealt with it just fine. As for how I would deal with it, I would start by not tweeting stupid crap out while I was angry. Then I would try to act like POTUS and not a 5 year old child, but that's me.

Strong argument, trying to justify bad behavior by comparing it to other bad behavior. None of it is acceptable and it only shows that idiots are prolific breeders.

Uhhhh, I wasn't justifying anything. As I clearly stated, I don't see kneeling as bad behavior. My comment was to point out what other people ignore while getting all bothered over this. I'm sure you're the first to point out when someone doesn't respect the flag or the anthem and you are sitting on your couch right?

The owners can't replace the players if they want the NFL to exist. But your point is valid if all those players care about the money.
The NFL can find plenty of players to comply and the NFL would still exist. The NFL could sue the union for non compliance and have a hold out year and get all new players.

No one EVER said that, so put away your talking points and get back to the real world.

Stating the obvious, if you don't want to be mistreated for breaking the law, DON'T break the law. Having an attitude, while dealing with cops, probably doesn't help the outcome either. I've never understood how people think that getting in a cop's face will have a positive result. That's almost as absurd as expecting a raise, after telling off your boss. There are cause and effect relationships, that should be obvious to everyone.

I also acknowledge, that there are some cops, who became cops, so they could throw their weight around and exercise their power. I don't care what your race is, when dealing with these individuals, anything can happen. Thankfully, there aren't too many people like this on the Police force, but one needs to be cautious when crossing paths with one.

No one should be mistreated for breaking the law. You don't lose your rights because you are arrested. You're essentially saying we have problems in our criminal justice system.......but just don't get arrested and you don't have to worry about it. That's insane.

Not to mention that if you DIDN'T break the law but were were unfairly arrested.........is it OK to be mistreated then? That never happens?

This stuff doesn't belong on this board anyway. No more from me.

Reactions: cornfieldsailor68

Not true.

What’s the solution?
Education, training, investment in health services.

You really think owning an NFL team is primarily about making money for the owners? It's a prestige thing above all else. Plus, if the league collapses (it's not going to, and anyone who says it is, is a clueless moron), the owners lose ALL THEIR INVESTMENT. They can't recoup the $1B value of their investment if the league goes under and they can't sell the franchise.

The owners and players are each a part of a symbiotic relationship, and most of them are millionaires that could retire tomorrow if they wanted. It's not like a standard job, where people are much more replaceable. Nobody would pay to watch you play football.
No, they wouldn't watch me play football, but there is thousands of NCAA players that will go into the NFL over the next several years that people would pay to watch them see. If you don't think the NFL is a business then who is the moron? If they see their product start dwindling down (which it is) they will take action. They have fiduciary responsibility to the sponsors and fans that own season seats.

Last edited:
So many black kids grow up without a father and in a poor neighborhood. You probably grew up in a middle class family with both parents (as did I), which means we have no comprehension for how challenging that life is unless you actually sit down and listen to folks that lived it. Most of what you mentioned are symptoms of a feedback loop, predicated from decades of racial injustice.

It sounds like you may have no comprehension of the challenge. Over the years, I've developed a reasonable idea of many of the challenges these folks are facing.

I'm not close to being the most active volunteer in poor, inner city communities (largely African American, but also white and Latino populations, as well), but I try to volunteer time every year. This past year is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 hours, with hopefully a few more additional projects coming this year. So yes, I have seen firsthand all of the issues that I've listed and if most residents would be honest about their current status, police brutality measures as a very, very small injustice. Which is in line with my original point.

That said, I also spend time volunteering with Tebow's Night to Shine. To put everything in truest perspective. There is no one from a poor, inner city community (regardless of color) that has ever faced a bigger injustice than what guests of A Night to Shine have faced every day that they've lived as a person with special needs. The guests with special needs don't hold anyone else accountable for their status and are some of the most endearing people I've ever met. Certainly a good lesson for anyone feeling like they've been given a raw deal in life.

I'm just a regular messed up Knucklehead, but I find the time I spend with these activities are among the best things I do each year.

It has happened and it will most likely happen again.
In 1982 the players struck for seven weeks after playing two games and no replacement players were used.The players returned and played seven more games for a total of nine regular season games,then the playoffs were held and Washington beat Miami in the Super Bowl.Replacement players were used for a few weeks in 1987 before the regular players came back to finish the regular year,and the playoffs were held.When was an entire season of NFL games played with replacement players?

No, they wouldn't watch me play football, but there is thousands of NCAA players that will go into the NFL over the next several years that people would pay to watch them see. If you don't think the NFL is a business then who is the moron? If they see their product start dwindling down (which it is) they will take action. They have fiduciary responsibility to the sponsors and fans that own season seats.
Lol. Nobody will pay that much money to watch a bunch of college receivers drop passes and QBs throw INTs. The fact that you think these professional players hold no cards is laughable. Franchise owners don't have a fiduciary duty to any fan, did you sign a contract when you bought season tickets?

It sounds like you may have no comprehension of the challenge. Over the years, I've developed a reasonable idea of many of the challenges these folks are facing.

I'm not close to being the most active volunteer in poor, inner city communities (largely African American, but also white and Latino populations, as well), but I try to volunteer time every year. This past year is somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 hours, with hopefully a few more additional projects coming this year. So yes, I have seen firsthand all of the issues that I've listed and if most residents would be honest about their current status, police brutality measures as a very, very small injustice. Which is in line with my original point.

That said, I also spend time volunteering with Tebow's Night to Shine. To put everything in truest perspective. There is no one from a poor, inner city community (regardless of color) that has ever faced a bigger injustice than what guests of A Night to Shine have faced every day that they've lived as a person with special needs. The guests with special needs don't hold anyone else accountable for their status and are some of the most endearing people I've ever met. Certainly a good lesson for anyone feeling like they've been given a raw deal in life.

I'm just a regular messed up Knucklehead, but I find the time I spend with these activities are among the best things I do each year.
Good for you, keep up the good work with volunteering.

As for the bit about special needs people, that isn't really a good comparison at all to what we're talking about. Saying "these people also have a raw deal in life and you never see them complaining" doesn't make other peoples' situations any less difficult or their complaints less valid.

Other than most special needs people can't change their situation.

Reactions: BSTJim
It's truly the best when libs use "snowflake." You're why the term exists, and it was coined by right wingers. Makes me laugh every time.
Yeah, and when right wingers get all butt hurt about a peaceful protest, libs throw the term right back at you.

I've never heard anybody say that black people should not have a voice. It's all about time and place. If you choose to protest during the national anthem while you're being paid to play a game, go right ahead. And I will choose to not watch your game. Works both ways. There are plenty of more constructive ways to force dialog on the subjects that they are protesting......
1000%

Reactions: grm14
So you support the President but tune him out when he disrespects the troops.

But you cancel support for NFL players when they do.

You hold NFL players to a higher standard than the President.

What exactly was this disrespect for the troops, that you are talking about? Typical, that you keep distorting things and/or creating strawmen to fuel your agenda.

Your last statement is idiotic and you know it, but that doesn't stop you from making it.

No one should be mistreated for breaking the law. You don't lose your rights because you are arrested. You're essentially saying we have problems in our criminal justice system.......but just don't get arrested and you don't have to worry about it. That's insane.

Not to mention that if you DIDN'T break the law but were were unfairly arrested.........is it OK to be mistreated then? That never happens?

This stuff doesn't belong on this board anyway. No more from me.

"but just don't get arrested and you don't have to worry about it. That's insane" Why is that insane? I'm not just saying "don't get arrested", but also "don't break the law". It's not that hard. By eliminating the primary reason why you would be involved with the criminal justice system, you insulate yourself from any potential abuse by the system.

If you're stopped by the cops and you didn't do anything, be respectful, comply with their requests and don't give them any reason for things to escalate. If the cop was abusive, get his badge number and report him to his superiors. Getting in a heated debate with the cop at the scene is a losing proposition. It's not that hard.

This thread shows why these protests are happening. A good portion of people here are basically saying it's the victims of police misconduct fault because of how they acted or because the community is at fault for not acting correctly.

I mean unless you feel there is some genetic behavior component here, and that would be a pretty racist thought, then it makes sense that many outside forces are contributing heavily here. However it still doesn't change the fact that police misconduct goes virtually unpunished.

I'll leave you with this statistic. No police officer in the last 30 years has served more than 5 years in jail for an on the job killing based on any information on the internet. Even 2 years is very difficult to find. Even those who were originally convicted get short sentences or win on appeal or a very quick parole. If you don't believe me go ahead and find a cop who served 5 years or more for an on the job killing. That is a problem unless you believe every police shooting in that time period was justified.

What is so disrespectful about kneeling? I just don't get it. We have people wearing hats during the national anthem/not paying attention at all, people wearing the American flag as underwear, idiots who decide a moment of silence is the perfect time for them to shout and be recognized yet somehow taking a knee is where everyone thinks the line should be drawn???

They are not wearing the flag as underwear, they are wearing underwear that has a print of a portion of the flag on it. The Flag code says you should not wear the flag yes, but at no time was yours, theirs, or my underwear a flag. This is a common misinterpretation of the flag code that I had even made myself in the past.

This thread shows why these protests are happening. A good portion of people here are basically saying it's the victims of police misconduct fault because of how they acted or because the community is at fault for not acting correctly.

I mean unless you feel there is some genetic behavior component here, and that would be a pretty racist thought, then it makes sense that many outside forces are contributing heavily here. However it still doesn't change the fact that police misconduct goes virtually unpunished.

I'll leave you with this statistic. No police officer in the last 30 years has served more than 5 years in jail for an on the job killing based on any information on the internet. Even 2 years is very difficult to find. Even those who were originally convicted get short sentences or win on appeal or a very quick parole. If you don't believe me go ahead and find a cop who served 5 years or more for an on the job killing. That is a problem unless you believe every police shooting in that time period was justified.
Not true.

It would be quite unfair to discuss mental illness and it’s relationship to police shootings without taking into account the opposite side of the coin and look at shootings of police officers by people with mental illness.
It would be impossible not to see a correlation between the two and it might be difficult to determine who is in greater danger, a person in the public with a mental health issue, or a police officer on the street dealing with people with mental health issues 24/7!
https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/crimjust/120leoskilledbymentallyill.html

It would be quite unfair to discuss mental illness and it’s relationship to police shootings without taking into account the opposite side of the coin and look at shootings of police officers by people with mental illness.
It would be impossible not to see a correlation between the two and it might be difficult to determine who is in greater danger, a person in the public with a mental health issue, or a police officer on the street dealing with people with mental health issues 24/7!
That has to be comforting to a family who deals with a wrongful death by police officer.

No one doubts it's a hard job but it doesn't mean that you should be able to wrongfully kill and get away with little to no punishment.

They are not wearing the flag as underwear, they are wearing underwear that has a print of a portion of the flag on it. The Flag code says you should not wear the flag yes, but at no time was yours, theirs, or my underwear a flag. This is a common misinterpretation of the flag code that I had even made myself in the past.

I was never really speaking to the letter of the law personally. To me it just seems that if people are so bent out of shape over someone kneeling during the anthem, they should also be bent out of shape about a flag print on clothing. It's disrespectful to kneel but not to sit your ass on a representation of the flag?

Not true.

Right, but the question isn’t whether Police face daily threats. It’s how they identify and ultimately respond to them.

The NFL can find plenty of players to comply and the NFL would still exist. The NFL could sue the union for non compliance and have a hold out year and get all new players.
are you old enough to remember the early 80s strike when they used replacement players. It was brutal. The level of play would go down and then you loose fans. It would be an interesting scenario. Obviously that would be the nuclear option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT