ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texans players plan to protest, NFL burning to the ground before our eyes

BoilerBMH

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2014
Anyone else very interested by what’s happening within the NFL? Seems like it’s burning to the ground before our very eyes.

- Houston players saying they will protest before the game which may include ripping the Texans decal off their helmet
-Players kneeling, most of which couldn’t explain why
- star RB suing the NFL for his abuse suspension
-Owners looking to remove the commissioner who made the NFL the #1 major US sport
-Viewership down.

This has a Big 3 feel to it. Watching the unions pilage their way towards their own demise.

Anyone else very interested by what’s happening within the NFL? Seems like it’s burning to the ground before our very eyes.

- Houston players saying they will protest before the game which may include ripping the Texans decal off their helmet
-Owners looking to remove the commissioner who made the NFL the #1 major US sport
-Viewership down.

This has a Big 3 feel to it. Watching the unions pilage their way towards their own demise.
Amazing you didn't even mention McNair's comments. I'm sure you think Mueller should be fired too. You're why they kneel.

-Viewership down.

The players aren't smart enough to know their actions come with outcomes as they will be all out a job soon enough as the NFL will be gone. Maybe they don't care.

Gotta be a giant snowflake to get upset about people exercising their constitutional right in an entirely peaceful manner.

Not really. Do not give a crap one way or another. They will stop protesting once it hits them in the pocket book.

As far as constitutional right to protest or hold a demonstration, not so much. It is a game, but the reality is they are at work. If one thinks they have a constitutional right to free speech at work not sure what to say. By all means go ahead and say what one wants, when one wakes up unemployed/fined it is all on yourself.

Not to mention, they rip a decal off a helmet, they are no longer in accordance with NFL uniform rules, and that is when the NLF really gets pissed.(part tic/part true)

Not really. Do not give a crap one way or another. They will stop protesting once it hits them in the pocket book.

As far as constitutional right to protest or hold a demonstration, not so much. It is a game, but the reality is they are at work. If one thinks they have a constitutional right to free speech at work not sure what to say. By all means go ahead and say what one wants, when one wakes up unemployed/fined it is all on yourself.

Not to mention, they rip a decal off a helmet, they are no longer in accordance with NFL uniform rules, and that is when the NLF really gets pissed.(part tic/part true)
Sure, there's no guarantee of protection with a private employer, but high school and college kids sure as hell have the right. I'll bet you guys were all pumped when the referee (Navy vet) walked out on the North Central volleyball match.

Reactions: BoilerDeac

-Viewership down.

NFL will be fine. Viewership is down across all tv programming, and the NFL has actually held up better than regular tv. The politics angle is a minor factor. There is just much more competition for peoples’ time now.

Reactions: Mobes and dpfunk78
The NFL and MLB get to avoid a lot of antitrust laws and that gives them a lot of power over players. The NFL owners have this more so than baseball since there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. So most of the owners act like kings residing over their kingdom. If the owners are OK with destroying their kingdom over players kneeling let them.

NFL players have way less power than the traditional unions who wrote their own death sentence by getting greedy.

I agree with everything you said right down the line. The NFL is a business with employees who earn huge money. The paying customers of this business are not obligated to support them, and making decisions which will alienate a large number of these customers is damaging the brand. It's just that simple. Mixing business with personal views is destroying the NFL.

Why does it get people so upset? Tune in 5 minutes later and watch the games. Who cares if players rebel against an owner that said ignorant things?

Agree, I’m more worried if a protest involves something in the game. You know like a missed tackle, dropped pass, etc...

Reactions: Lazz81
Amazing you didn't even mention McNair's comments. I'm sure you think Mueller should be fired too. You're why they kneel.

This controversy is perfect. The criminality of athletes is a real thing that people see. At the same time, it was just an owner making a comment. The NFL is not a prison, to make that connection would be aburd. So to have players turn this into another issue is juvenial in the extreme. "The Lady doth protest too much, me thinks"

When I was in school, there were certain people whose shoes it was unwise to scuff, unless you wanted to take your life into your own hands. These people appear to make up a large percentage of the NFL. Angry dudes who will burn it all down over a perceived slight.

Pretty sure the "d*cks" are the people that don't think black people should have a voice...

I've never heard anybody say that black people should not have a voice. It's all about time and place. If you choose to protest during the national anthem while you're being paid to play a game, go right ahead. And I will choose to not watch your game. Works both ways. There are plenty of more constructive ways to force dialog on the subjects that they are protesting......

This controversy is perfect. The criminality of athletes is a real thing that people see. At the same time, it was just an owner making a comment. The NFL is not a prison, to make that connection would be aburd. So to have players turn this into another issue is juvenial in the extreme. "The Lady doth protest too much, me thinks"

When I was in school, there were certain people whose shoes it was unwise to scuff, unless you wanted to take your life into your own hands. These people appear to make up a large percentage of the NFL. Angry dudes who will burn it all down over a perceived slight.

How insane. They are protesting police brutality and a racist justice system - the prison comment is extraordinarily inflammatory.

I've never heard anybody say that black people should not have a voice. It's all about time and place. If you choose to protest during the national anthem while you're being paid to play a game, go right ahead. And I will choose to not watch your game. Works both ways. There are plenty of more constructive ways to force dialog on the subjects that they are protesting......
It sure seems like it's been pretty damn effective to me. Maybe they should kneel during the Friday walk-thrus so as not to offend you?

Reactions: Mobes
Using one of the most common analogys out there for when leadership has lost control?

The oversensitivity of our nation is why they kneel
Gotta be a giant snowflake to get upset about people exercising their constitutional right in an entirely peaceful manner.
It's truly the best when libs use "snowflake." You're why the term exists, and it was coined by right wingers. Makes me laugh every time.

Sure, there's no guarantee of protection with a private employer, but high school and college kids sure as hell have the right. I'll bet you guys were all pumped when the referee (Navy vet) walked out on the North Central volleyball match.

???

And no, like I said, do not care much about protests.

The NFL and MLB get to avoid a lot of antitrust laws and that gives them a lot of power over players. The NFL owners have this more so than baseball since there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL. So most of the owners act like kings residing over their kingdom. If the owners are OK with destroying their kingdom over players kneeling let them.

NFL players have way less power than the traditional unions who wrote their own death sentence by getting greedy.
The players work for the owners, period. If they don't like working for their employers they have the option of quitting. It will be the players demise, not the owners. The owners can find plenty of other ways of making money, can the players? No.

Police brutality and racist justice system, wow. Don't break the law and you don't have to deal with either of those things.

Philando Castile was shot for nothing. Following the officers orders, told them he had a weapon and still shot. If he was white he’d still be alive today.

If the Nfl wants to fix this they should not let teams on the field for the national anthem. i believe it is disrespectful to kneel for the National anthem. That's why i quit watching.

If the Nfl wants to fix this they should not let teams on the field for the national anthem. i believe it is disrespectful to kneel for the National anthem. That's why i quit watching.

Not the answer, either stand or gtfo. Its the National Football League. If you can't show respect for American values, then you have no place in the National Football League.

Not the answer, either stand or gtfo. Its the National Football League. If you can't show respect for American values, then you have no place in the National Football League.
So if a player refuses to do so on religious grounds are you going to bounce him from the league as well?

It's truly the best when libs use "snowflake." You're why the term exists, and it was coined by right wingers. Makes me laugh every time.

Pretty sure that's the joke... I find it funny that conservatives have latched on to the term so much seeing as how the guy in the oval office gets bent out of shape over meaningless bs as much or more than any lib ever has.

Guess what, it is a place of business they actually have no rights to do this other than that their owners allowed it.

Try doing something that draws mega negative attention to your own business and see what happens.

What is so disrespectful about kneeling? I just don't get it. We have people wearing hats during the national anthem/not paying attention at all, people wearing the American flag as underwear, idiots who decide a moment of silence is the perfect time for them to shout and be recognized yet somehow taking a knee is where everyone thinks the line should be drawn???

I hope he's still walking.

Don't know what the article said, but an A.D. who has hired him before said he worked Air Force one for a few presidents. When enough people get some courage and then add some convictions to their courage, things will change. Until that time, we will miss the obvious and have no consequences for any actions. We are ...not much smarter than a slug...and cowards at heart...programmed by so many fronts and in many cases incapable of actually understanding data...

Drop every professional sport...the distraction gone will leave more thought around for things of substance...

Pretty sure that's the joke... I find it funny that conservatives have latched on to the term so much seeing as how the guy in the oval office gets bent out of shape over meaningless bs as much or more than any lib ever has.

POTUS isn't needing a free pizza party or counseling sessions with puppies when things don't go his way... he simply expresses his position openly on a public platform, mostly because it riles up his detractors.

Why does it get people so upset? Tune in 5 minutes later and watch the games. Who cares if players rebel against an owner that said ignorant things?

I just wish the players were protesting the issues that are really tearing apart the African American community. The isolated instances of police violence against African Americans is a pimple on an elephant compared to issues such as single parent households, teen pregnancy, gang membership/violence, drug abuse, lack of educational achievement and cyclical poverty. These protests are simply a distraction from the real issues that are absolutely destroying their communities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT