ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Matt Light on Laura Ingraham this eve. (9/11)*

Calling Fox News "center right" - even calling it a broadcast news organization - puts you in a certain category. I'm not arguing that other news orgs don't also modulate their feeds to make a point - they do. And I know it's not possible to convince a Fox News devotee that they have been mainly watching bullcrap for years.

But you should know that many thoughtful folks who try to look at various outlets do feel that way.

If all you ever watch is CNN, MSNBC and the MSM, you're always hearing the same side of the argument or constantly reinforcing your existing opinions. FOX is the only place where you can get a different perspective. I watch them all, but I'll readily admit that I watch FOX more, since they seem to provide more factual support for their opinions.

For the young pups, you've been indoctrinated throughout your life, through primary and secondary school and on through college. The primary channels you probably watched were MSM stations, which reaffirmed what you had been told in school. It's ridiculously easy to be a Liberal, since you get positive affirmation from all sides. It takes a lot more intellectual curiosity to become a Conservative. You aren't spoonfed all the dogma on a daily basis. You actually have to make an effort to chase down the facts.

BTW, it was CNN and the MSM that spun the narrative about FOX being bullcrap, because they recognized that FOX was a threat to their marketing share and to their indoctrination efforts.

If all you ever watch is CNN, MSNBC and the MSM, you're always hearing the same side of the argument or constantly reinforcing your existing opinions. FOX is the only place where you can get a different perspective. I watch them all, but I'll readily admit that I watch FOX more, since they seem to provide more factual support for their opinions.

For the young pups, you've been indoctrinated throughout your life, through primary and secondary school and on through college. The primary channels you probably watched were MSM stations, which reaffirmed what you had been told in school. It's ridiculously easy to be a Liberal, since you get positive affirmation from all sides. It takes a lot more intellectual curiosity to become a Conservative. You aren't spoonfed all the dogma on a daily basis. You actually have to make an effort to chase down the facts.

BTW, it was CNN and the MSM that spun the narrative about FOX being bullcrap, because they recognized that FOX was a threat to their marketing share and to their indoctrination efforts.

I've always loved what Winston Churchill said,
‘If You Are Not a Liberal When You Are Young, You Have No Heart, and If You Are Not a Conservative When Old, You Have No Brain’

I agree 100% -- very well put -- and good advice for the pups.

Reactions: BoilerMadness
I've always loved what Winston Churchill said,
‘If You Are Not a Liberal When You Are Young, You Have No Heart, and If You Are Not a Conservative When Old, You Have No Brain’
You’re joking, right?

This is a beautiful example of low-info memes helping people feel more confident in their views.

But mostly, it’s disheartening that Purdue would grant a degree to someone who can’t perform basic fact checking.

Maybe you can call the bursars Office and have them change your diploma to “Purdue Global.”

And so now it's clear that your contribution to this thread does not include reading and responding to thoughtful points...only spewing the same stuff over and over. Which makes you the one who isn't thinking.

This reminds me of the P.J. Fleck debate. LOL.

Really, just what category would that be?

I was watching network news, and reading multiple newspapers, and still do, long before there was a Fox News. So I don't need any lectures on the objectivity of the various sources.

Do you understand the difference between a news operation and opinion journalism?

Oh, oh I understand the difference

The former is like CNN, CBS, ABC,NBC, MSNBC.

The latter IS fox news , oan and brietbart (sp?)

You’re joking, right?

This is a beautiful example of low-info memes helping people feel more confident in their views.

But mostly, it’s disheartening that Purdue would grant a degree to someone who can’t perform basic fact checking.

Maybe you can call the bursars Office and have them change your diploma to “Purdue Global.”

The origin of the quote is not Churchill, but supposedly Churchill repeated versions of it on numerous occasions. The best research I've seen indicates the origin lies with Sam Adams, not the beer magnate (for those who read Howard Zinn for history class) but one of the founding fathers and cousin of John Adams, 2nd USA President. http://freakonomics.com/2011/08/25/john-adams-said-it-first/

So I think the point still stands -- there's a lot of truth in the quote.

Would do you all think about the leaked Google town hall meeting that occurred right after the election? Given Google's power to shape information I would think we all should be concerned about this no matter what our respective personal political persuasion.

Reactions: BSIT
The origin of the quote is not Churchill, but supposedly Churchill repeated versions of it on numerous occasions. The best research I've seen indicates the origin lies with Sam Adams, not the beer magnate (for those who read Howard Zinn for history class) but one of the founding fathers and cousin of John Adams, 2nd USA President. http://freakonomics.com/2011/08/25/john-adams-said-it-first/

So I think the point still stands -- there's a lot of truth in the quote.
I’m aware he didn’t originate the quote but he was eloquent in his delivery

And so now it's clear that your contribution to this thread does not include reading and responding to thoughtful points...only spewing the same stuff over and over. Which makes you the one who isn't thinking.

Really, I didn't notice that you made a "thoughtful point" for BoilerMadness to respond to? And his point about it being easy to be a liberal because that world view is constantly affirmed by so much of the media ... that was a new and useful contribution to this thread. He checked you pretty good, and your response isn't very clever.

You’re joking, right?

While I was at Purdue, Clinton beat Bush. I wasnt thrilled, but I can’t remember our student government president asking for a day off from classes to mourn. Lol. I love this next generation of babies

Would do you all think about the leaked Google town hall meeting that occurred right after the election? Given Google's power to shape information I would think we all should be concerned about this no matter what our respective personal political persuasion.
Great point. I was thinking the same thing and almost provided a link but didn’t want to be branded an intolerant right winger. Tic

Not sure how that correlates to a fake Churchill quote, so have a good one.

The quote isn't fake. Churchill used it. But it did not originate with him. Does it really matter if it originated with Churchill or Sam Adams? The point of it is still the same -- and 40-year olds tell it to 25-year olds every day, because the 40-year olds have grown to realize how ignorant they were at 25. Sort of like how many figure out at 25 that their old man isn't as stupid as they thought he was 7 years earlier.

Last edited:

What thoughtful points directed at me, did I miss? Was it your calling anything on FOX bullcrap? If you consider that a thoughtful point, then your ability to think should be called into question.

I have owned up to my error in wanting Fleck. I have said, on multiple occasions, that Brohm is the far superior coach. When I make a mistake, I'll admit it.

I try to spew new stuff, just to make sure you guys are paying attention and might actually learn something.

Last edited:
"Nevertheless, those who listed Fox News as one of their news sources had overall lower levels of knowledge on the factual questions. Fox viewers were less likely to know the capital of Canada, the religion of the Dalai Lama, or the size of the Federal budget. They couldn't find South Carolina on map or name the second digit of pi."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...c-look-into-the-fox-news-effect/#216727e712ab

It would be fake if he never said it. I didn’t say he originated the quote.

There is no record of Churchill ever uttering that quote (or any derivation your grandma posted on Facebook).

I wasn’t sure how you were going to back your way out of your embarrassingly bold display of stupidity, but it looks like you’re doubling down.

There is no record of Churchill ever uttering that quote (or any derivation your grandma posted on Facebook).

I wasn’t sure how you were going to back your way out of your embarrassingly bold display of stupidity, but it looks like you’re doubling down.
Just keep repeating it often enough and after awhile people think you know what you are talking despite it being incorrect from the beginning.

Just because you didn't find on the internet specific mention of a time Churchill stated or wrote the quote, that doesn't mean he didn't. There are sources on the internet that state that he was known to repeat the quote in conversation and occasionally in speeches. Also, the origin of the quote is commonly misattributed to him precisely because he was known to use it so often. The first time I ever heard it, probably 35 years ago (before internet), it was mistakenly attributed to him. Sourcing the origin was difficult then so the mistake was repeated often.

But the quote is a very real historical quote -- originating with Sam Adams -- and still very relevant.

Last edited:
Just keep repeating it often enough and after awhile people think you know what you are talking despite it being incorrect from the beginning.
It’s totally possible I’m in error here and if so I apologize

if that’s true I apologize

"Nevertheless, those who listed Fox News as one of their news sources had overall lower levels of knowledge on the factual questions. Fox viewers were less likely to know the capital of Canada, the religion of the Dalai Lama, or the size of the Federal budget. They couldn't find South Carolina on map or name the second digit of pi."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/...c-look-into-the-fox-news-effect/#216727e712ab

"Fox viewers did at least score better than those saying they didn't follow the news" (as in most non-college educated)

So they found those who follow network MSM news scored higher, on average, than those who followed Fox. Not a big surprise when you consider Fox viewership reaches further into the middle class and the non-college educated. Is that a bad thing? If they'd controlled for education level, I'd wager they would have found Fox viewers would test out equal or better.

While I was at Purdue, Clinton beat Bush. I wasnt thrilled, but I can’t remember our student government president asking for a day off from classes to mourn. Lol. I love this next generation of babies
Maybe you weren’t mourning because there weren’t groups of people dedicated to hating you and ridding you from the world. You have to be kidding me with some of the shit I have read in this thread. You do realize there has been an increase in hate group membership and hate crimes as a result of the Trump campaign, right? They literally proclaim out loud that they feel empowered and encouraged by Donald Trump. Would that bother you a bit or can you not empathize with anything outside of your white brain?

Just because you didn't find on the internet specific mention of a time Churchill stated or wrote the quote, that doesn't mean he didn't. There are sources on the internet that state that he was known to repeat the quote in conversation and occasionally in speeches. Also, the origin of the quote is commonly misattributed to him precisely because he was known to use it so often. The first time I ever heard it, probably 35 years ago (before internet), it was mistakenly attributed to him. Sourcing the origin was difficult then so the mistake was repeated often.

But the quote is a very real historical quote -- originating with Sam Adams -- and still very relevant.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/02/24/heart-head/
The more you know....

Maybe you weren’t mourning because there weren’t groups of people dedicated to hating you and ridding you from the world. You have to be kidding me with some of the shit I have read in this thread. You do realize there has been an increase in hate group membership and hate crimes as a result of the Trump campaign, right? They literally proclaim out loud that they feel empowered and encouraged by Donald Trump. Would that bother you a bit or can you not empathize with anything outside of your white brain?
One of the funniest things my white brain has ever read......thank you!

Reactions: BSIT

Are you implying that Antifa, Black Lives Matter and MS-13 are Trump supporters? They're the most violent groups in the country at the moment. They're all criminal and at least two of the three lean hard Left.

I didn't realize that brains came in other colors, than pink&gray.

Are you implying that Antifa, Black Lives Matter and MS-13 are Trump supporters? They're the most violent groups in the country at the moment. They're all criminal and at least two of the three lean hard Left.
What violence has black lives matters carried out?

My Irish German Scandinavian American Native American brain says there is hate on both sides but more so on the left. Threats of rape and murder to a female conservative commentator, Maine’s Senator Collins staff member threatened if Kavanaugh confirmed and a Northern California GOP Representative was attacked by a deranged liberal. Fortunately his switchblade malfunction. From my perspective the deranged liberals are more likely to comment violence than a card carrying NRA member

Here’s an interesting article from CNN regarding hate groups.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/politics/charts-explain-us-hate-groups/index.html

Here we go. Wtf are you talking about. I am implying that it is perfectly natural to fear for your own personal safety if a president who has made white nationalists feel empowered and encouraged has just been elected. Especially in a town where swastikas have been known to be found on buildings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT