ADVERTISEMENT

OT Any Purdue/Big Ten Bars in Tampa/St. Pete Area?

Esox54547

True Freshman
Aug 26, 2017
I'm going to be in the Tampa/St. Pete Beach area on November 20th when Purdue has a BB game against UNC and a FB game against NW at Wrigly. Anyone know of a Purdue or at least a Big Ten bar in that area that we can hang out and hopefully catch both games?

Thanks!

Hey, we can get along with anybody. Just make sure any recommendations have a good chance to have the games on, lol.
There is a sports bar near Madeira Beach that I have gone to in the past to watch Purdue games when down there and they have always accommodated. There is a Hooters there at John's Pass that has multiple games on usually as well.

Sports Bar in St. Pete that you could ask if they would have it on or put it on (Sports Bar and Grill...9685 Bay Pines Blvd, St. Petersburg, FL 33708)

I have been a fan for a long time and there is no such thing as a "purdue bar", with the possible exception of somewhere in Chicago or Indy.

I have never been to one or heard of one.

Reactions: DAG10
There is a sports bar near Madeira Beach that I have gone to in the past to watch Purdue games when down there and they have always accommodated. There is a Hooters there at John's Pass that has multiple games on usually as well.

Sports Bar in St. Pete that you could ask if they would have it on or put it on (Sports Bar and Grill...9685 Bay Pines Blvd, St. Petersburg, FL 33708)
Which bar is in Madeira Beach that you mentioned? That is where we will be staying. Right next to John’s Pass. Hooters will work if nothing local is available, but I prefer local joints.

I have been a fan for a long time and there is no such thing as a "purdue bar", with the possible exception of somewhere in Chicago or Indy.

I have never been to one or heard of one.
Funny you say that. I basically had that same feeling, that is why I added Big Ten. However, I have run into one Purdue bar and it was in Seoul, South Korea. I travel there on business occasionally and ran across this place that had a Purdue flag out front. Of course I had to go inside and check it out. The owners son went to Purdue and now (or at least then) he worked for Samsung. I watched the replay of a couple games there, and watched a Bball game live once one morning. It was Purdue against Tennessee in the Paradise Jam I believe. It was the game Kramer knocked the ball away from a Tennessee player while sliding on the floor. Anyway you never know where you might find an alum.

Idea: This question comes up (for different cities) ever so often; it might be worth compiling a master list that can get pinned at some time. Posters can add to it whenever they discover another Purdue or B1G-oriented bar somewhere in the world outside of West Lafayette.

Reactions: Purdue80
Idea: This question comes up (for different cities) ever so often; it might be worth compiling a master list that can get pinned at some time. Posters can add to it whenever they discover another Purdue or B1G-oriented bar somewhere in the world outside of West Lafayette.
In Louisville, there is Purdue-alum-owned grill pub: The Manhattan Project, that hosts watch parties for Purdue FB and MBB games. The local Alumni Club (Purdue Falls Cities) sponsors the gatherings, it is great fun and soooo nice to be with dozens of fellow alums in an area full of UofL, UK, and IU folks.
So there’s one….. to start the list. 😎

Which bar is in Madeira Beach that you mentioned? That is where we will be staying. Right next to John’s Pass. Hooters will work if nothing local is available, but I prefer local joints.
The bar I mentioned is just down from Madeira Beach...10 minutes, if that...it is where I have watched Purdue games in the past. It is definitely local.

Caddy's is right on Madeira Beach...it might be an option.

There is a new Bar/Grill at John's Pass on the second floor, above Mad Pub that has large screen TVs and had games on while we were just there.

Finally, The Conch has a bar area and has multiple TVs and has games on any time we have been there. It has some Indiana ties of sorts (I forget what they are...an owner maybe)...there are several IN license plates at the door...there have been Purdue ones in the past...I was annoyed the other night though when I saw an IU one near the entrance.

Hopefully that helps...several options at least.

Mons-Venus will not only refuse to put a Purdue game on but will also demand a $ 22 cover charge and $ 15 valet charge to give you back your car keys later that night

Reactions: guidelinesa2
The bar I mentioned is just down from Madeira Beach...10 minutes, if that...it is where I have watched Purdue games in the past. It is definitely local.

There is a new Bar/Grill at John's Pass on the second floor, above Mad Pub that has large screen TVs and had games on while we were just there.

Finally, The Conch has a bar area and has multiple TVs and has games on any time we have been there. It has some Indiana ties of sorts (I forget what they are...an owner maybe)...there are several IN license plates at the door...there have been Purdue ones in the past...I was annoyed the other night though when I saw an IU one near the entrance.

Thanks a bunch! At least we know we will have somewhere close to go. I'll try checking some of those places out earlier in the week.

I think that's a great idea to have a list of sorts, of Purdue friendly spots. I'll report back how the place was that we pick for these games. I also travel quite a bit for work, so I will keep an eye out for places. Does a mod have to start and pin that thread?

Reactions: Evergr8ful
Funny you say that. I basically had that same feeling, that is why I added Big Ten. However, I have run into one Purdue bar and it was in Seoul, South Korea. I travel there on business occasionally and ran across this place that had a Purdue flag out front. Of course I had to go inside and check it out. The owners son went to Purdue and now (or at least then) he worked for Samsung. I watched the replay of a couple games there, and watched a Bball game live once one morning. It was Purdue against Tennessee in the Paradise Jam I believe. It was the game Kramer knocked the ball away from a Tennessee player while sliding on the floor. Anyway you never know where you might find an alum.

That's pretty crazy

In Las Vegas watching Purdue games can be easy, but not from home. Sports betting places have sport events from all kinds of venues on TV and sports bars such as Buffalo Wild Wings also have multiple sports events on TV. I watched the Auburn debacle from the one closest to our house. Luckily they also have trivia, which my son and I dominated, being better than watching the game.

But the Purdue Alumni Club of Las Vegas (of which I'm not a member) also meets at Nevada Brew Works, 1327 South Main Street, Suite 160 for Purdue games. I'm sure that such clubs all over the country with sufficient members do a similar thing.

Other Big 10 teams have bars where they meet. The Michigan one is a few blocks from our house.

Reactions: DAG10

Yeah, there’s also the Daiquiri Shak in Madeira Beach. I own a condo right across the street on the beach. My condo doesn’t have Big Ten Network, so I’m always able to watch my Boilers there.

Reactions: DAG10 and Purdue85
Yeah, there’s also the Daiquiri Shak in Madeira Beach. I own a condo right across the street on the beach. My condo doesn’t have Big Ten Network, so I’m always able to watch my Boilers there.
I have not been there and did not therefore realize that they televise sports and what not, but you would know obviously given the circumstances...good to know that there is another option right there on/across from the beach.

Reactions: boilersteve91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT