ADVERTISEMENT

NFL list of approved names on back of helmets

Which part do you disagree with?

You left out some "ifs" in your otherwise-solid formula for life success in the Land of Opportunity. Like...if you don't get sick when you have no access to insurance that you couldn't even get due to a pre-existing condition...if you don't get mistaken for a criminal on your way back from the 7-11...if Daddy can lend you a few bucks...if you don't get stuck in the wrong schools or get particularly bullied...etc. etc. Some people, even the very best people, need a little help from the "village" to make it. This isn't a Horatio Alger story.

And while it's true that people can always be ranked by socioeconomic status, the 25th and 50th percentile in 2020 don't have the security and mobility that they did 40 years ago. Terms like "lower" and "middle" are relative.

Meanwhile if you are in the 75th or 95th percentile, then things probably seem hunky-dory. The past 40 years have been fine for this group...mighty fine. That's a good thing. But it didn't have to come at such a cost.

Nah, don’t put words in my mouth. There’s a good way not to get killed though. Sorry you can’t see that.
One should be white to begin with?

It seems that that would go a long ways towards not being killed by the police, given many recent examples over the past...decades?

Please excuse me here if I am wrong as I am new to this debate.

tia

The NFL didn’t do their homework when compiling this list. It’s basically an America’s Most Wanted list. Almost all of these people were known criminals who the police were trying to arrest when they fought with police, resisted arrest, or were attempting to flee. Plenty of honorable minority citizens that could be honored by the NFL. The real tragedy is that it sends the wrong message to young minorities. Instead of glorifying those who have made great contributions to our country, we’ve turned rapists, thieves, and drug dealers into martyrs.
Fortunately I didn’t even notice. I along with each my brothers had the NFL direct ticket and would spend our Sundays watching the games. Each of us were also in at least 3 fantasy leagues. Fast forward 3 years and not one of us even bothers to check the scores.

You left out some "ifs" in your otherwise-solid formula for life success in the Land of Opportunity. Like...if you don't get sick when you have no access to insurance that you couldn't even get due to a pre-existing condition...if you don't get mistaken for a criminal on your way back from the 7-11...if Daddy can lend you a few bucks...if you don't get stuck in the wrong schools or get particularly bullied...etc. etc. Some people, even the very best people, need a little help from the "village" to make it. This isn't a Horatio Alger story.

And while it's true that people can always be ranked by socioeconomic status, the 25th and 50th percentile in 2020 don't have the security and mobility that they did 40 years ago. Terms like "lower" and "middle" are relative.

Meanwhile if you are in the 75th or 95th percentile, then things probably seem hunky-dory. The past 40 years have been fine for this group...mighty fine. That's a good thing. But it didn't have to come at such a cost.

There are no guarantees in life. Lots of ifs. But, we're all born with the same 'ability' to become whatever we dream of. If you're born in to a $hitty situation because your parent or parents made bad decisions, well....that's on them. Bad decisions have consequences.

Contrary to what a lot of people believe, very few successful people are that way because things just happened to work out.
Life is hard, it's a lot harder when you make poor decisions.

Reactions: BoilerMadness

It seems that that would go a long ways towards not being killed by the police, given many recent examples over the past...decades?

tia

How do you feel about that statistic that more whites are killed by cops than blacks? In that case, it would seem that whites are at a disadvantage (privilege?)

Regardless of skin color, it still boils down to the decisions you make and whether those decisions are going to result in law enforcement getting involved. If LE doesn't have to get involved due to your decisionmaking then the chances of one getting killed by LE goes way down.

There are no guarantees in life. Lots of ifs. But, we're all born with the same 'ability' to become whatever we dream of. If you're born in to a $hitty situation because your parent or parents made bad decisions, well....that's on them. Bad decisions have consequences.

Contrary to what a lot of people believe, very few successful people are that way because things just happened to work out.

I'm sure you realize that as soon as you type "your parents' bad decisions have consequences" that your argument about what we're all "born with" being equal holds no water.

Of course it matters what kind of parents you have. Through nurture and nature. They impart different degrees of cultural wisdom, financial stability, life skills, etc. But that's kind of the point: the playing field is never level. That's before we even start talking about the privileges afforded to some ethnicities, religious affiliations, etc. in some societies and/or certain walks of life.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
I'm sure you realize that as soon as you type "your parents' bad decisions have consequences" that your argument about what we're all "born with" being equal holds no water.

Of course it matters what kind of parents you have. Through nurture and nature. They impart different degrees of cultural wisdom, financial stability, life skills, etc. But that's kind of the point: the playing field is never level. That's before we even start talking about the privileges afforded to some ethnicities, religious affiliations, etc. in some societies and/or certain walks of life.

Which goes back to the original premise of not making bad decisions in life, whether it's for you or your children.
If you're going to drop out of school, not get an education, have children too early, or out of wedlock, not marry the children's father, etc, then yes, you're putting your children at a disadvantage and you're likely to perpetuate an existing cycle.
Who's fault is that?
Who should be held accountable?
Are people responsible for their actions?

I've got buddies who I grew up with that have ended up being doctors, lawyers, corporate execs and some are losers, (despite being brought up in what many would believe to be an advantageous environment to succeed, they decided they wanted to go against the grain).

If you're going to drop out of school, not get an education, have children too early, or out of wedlock, not marry the children's father, etc, then yes, you're putting your children at a disadvantage and you're likely to perpetuate an existing cycle.
Who's fault is that?

Not the children's.

Who should be held accountable?

Does any society "hold parents accountable" for children's success or failure? Not that I know of, not significantly anyway. Mainly it's the mirror that "hold parents accountable."

Are people responsible for their actions?

Yes, but many people have incomplete information and/or limited options, especially when they are younger.

Not the children's.

Does any society "hold parents accountable" for children's success or failure? Not that I know of, not significantly anyway. Mainly it's the mirror that "hold parents accountable."

Yes, but many people have incomplete information and/or limited options, especially when they are younger.

Which is all exactly why people need to be taught decisions and consequences...so that they don't end up, or put their children in a situation where that kid is brought into an environment where things like work ethic, education, married parents, financial responsibility, etc are not valued.

It's definitely a chicken/egg situation, but when you have generations experiencing the same challenges/ issues and they never stop the revolving door, well...That's on them. They're the only one's who can solve that.

I agree with your point about work and doing the right things, and we would be a lot better off if people took responsibility and worked hard. However, I do note that economic mobility in the United States has declined rapidly over the last hundred years or so. I don't have the data I am thinking about in front of me at the moment to give the precise numbers, but today the probability that you will remain in the same economic quartile into which you were born is like 70-80% and in the early 1900s it was like 30-40%. Doesn't mean that you cannot improve your lot in life or that it does not happen, it just means it is not as easy to do so as it once was due to asymmetries in education, healthcare, etc. that are more prevalent today than they were previously.

Is there anything that can be learned in this regard from Asian-Americans, the most successful group of any in the US by measures such as education and average income? How have they been able to achieve such success despite not have any traditional type of national privilege to boost them? It is a real mystery that I hope academics will be able to explain someday.

Which is all exactly why people need to be taught decisions and consequences...so that they don't end up, or put their children in a situation where that kid is brought into an environment where things like work ethic, education, married parents, financial responsibility, etc are not valued.

It's definitely a chicken/egg situation, but when you have generations experiencing the same challenges/ issues and they never stop the revolving door, well...That's on them. They're the only one's who can solve that.

We can agree that it's chicken-and-egg. You conveniently leave out who is the "they" who are the only ones who can solve this. I feel like we all have a role to play.

Let's remember that this thread started out on the merits of calling out acts of police overreach given the questionable life credentials of many of the victims.

Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if more people have access to affordable healthcare?
Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if we stop revising the tax code so that the top few % can buy 10x more luxury goods and so that big-company CEOs can take home 1000x what a line worker makes? That trend has been going on for 40 years.
Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if we reform the bail-bond system? (Have you read the details of the Sandra Bland ordeal?)
Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if poor people can conduct their daily business without fear of being hauled off to jail for a broken taillight or shot by a stranger because they "look suspicious?"

Maybe your answer to these questions is "no." That would explain a lot about this dialogue.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
We can agree that it's chicken-and-egg. You conveniently leave out who is the "they" who are the only ones who can solve this. I feel like we all have a role to play.

Let's remember that this thread started out on the merits of calling out acts of police overreach given the questionable life credentials of many of the victims.

Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if more people have access to affordable healthcare?
Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if we stop revising the tax code so that the top few % can buy 10x more luxury goods and so that big-company CEOs can take home 1000x what a line worker makes? That trend has been going on for 40 years.
Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if we reform the bail-bond system? (Have you read the details of the Sandra Bland ordeal?)
Does it help break the chicken-and-egg cycle if poor people can conduct their daily business without fear of being hauled off to jail for a broken taillight or shot by a stranger because they "look suspicious?"

Maybe your answer to these questions is "no." That would explain a lot about this dialogue.
Which citizens don't have access to affordable routine, gp/pa-based healthcare?

tia
Yeah, i guess like those 19 unarmed white dudes compared to those 9 unarmed black dudes that got killed last year. Data dont lie. You mean those white guys that were born white?

My dont get killed comments you bolded was ....dont commit crimes, and your chances go waaaaaayyyyyyy down.

HEY! You can’t say that! Nuclear family, work ethic, delayed gratification those are all catch phrases of the systemic racism we’ve been living with since 1619. I read it on a Smithsonian poster so it must be true.

I agree with your point about work and doing the right things, and we would be a lot better off if people took responsibility and worked hard. However, I do note that economic mobility in the United States has declined rapidly over the last hundred years or so. I don't have the data I am thinking about in front of me at the moment to give the precise numbers, but today the probability that you will remain in the same economic quartile into which you were born is like 70-80% and in the early 1900s it was like 30-40%. Doesn't mean that you cannot improve your lot in life or that it does not happen, it just means it is not as easy to do so as it once was due to asymmetries in education, healthcare, etc. that are more prevalent today than they were previously.

I'm not familiar with that stats either, so can't really speak to them.
But, I would expect there to be a very strong correlation between where a parent's position in life is and what direction their children go.

I would also expect there to be similar stats for kids who come from two parent households, where the parents both at least finished high school, where the parents are employed (one or both). There's plenty of examples/situations, whether it's the south side of Chicago or the poor towns in Appalachia where those things aren't taught or ingrained in the youth and they end up in the same situation.

HEY! You can’t say that! Nuclear family, work ethic, delayed gratification those are all catch phrases of the systemic racism we’ve been living with since 1619. I read it on a Smithsonian poster so it must be true.

I believe BLM would also like to do away with the nuclear family concept. Yeh, that's worked so well for them to this point....

So, do you believe I should have to pay more in taxes so someone else can have healthcare? Why is that my responsibility? Why can't they pay for their own healthcare?

Companies pay CEOs big $ because they deliver share holder value in the form of decisions that lead to increase valuations. (anyone with a 401K, 403b, public pension or otherwise market investment should be in favor of this).
Companies receive tax breaks because it leads to investment, which leads to growth, which leads to more jobs which leads to a larger tax base.
Bail-bond system? How many times have you had to be bonded out? Me? Zero. Why? Because I don't commit crimes. Simple decision. Sandra Bland? She committed suicide. Period. No one hung her and her family refused to come bail her out. She's another example of someone who had they simply complied with the officers requests, likely wouldn't have killed herself.

When was the last time a poor person got hauled off to jail for a broken tail light? And by looking suspicious, do you mean Trevian Martin? He attacked Zimmerman. Zimmerman acted in self defense. Just ask the court.

So, do you believe I should have to pay more in taxes so someone else can have healthcare? Why is that my responsibility? Why can't they pay for their own healthcare?

Companies pay CEOs big $ because they deliver share holder value in the form of decisions that lead to increase valuations. (anyone with a 401K, 403b, public pension or otherwise market investment should be in favor of this).
Companies receive tax breaks because it leads to investment, which leads to growth, which leads to more jobs which leads to a larger tax base.
Bail-bond system? How many times have you had to be bonded out? Me? Zero. Why? Because I don't commit crimes. Simple decision. Sandra Bland? She committed suicide. Period. No one hung her and her family refused to come bail her out. She's another example of someone who had they simply complied with the officers requests, likely wouldn't have killed herself.

When was the last time a poor person got hauled off to jail for a broken tail light? And by looking suspicious, do you mean Trevian Martin? He attacked Zimmerman. Zimmerman acted in self defense. Just ask the court.

Now your true colors are showing. Thanks for the engagement, it was interesting.

I believe BLM would also like to do away with the nuclear family concept. Yeh, that's worked so well for them to this point....
That’s almost being accomplished so far without any assistance from them. A little over 30% of white children are born out of wedlock with a little over 70% for blacks.

I mean if bringing light to the plight of our black friends, of which the stories of policing and profiling are legion, and you have a problem withthat, I suppose I'll just have to call you a ****ing racist. I have no idea why this became political, but certainly I am not going to be on the side opposed to bringing attention to racism.
Look at the number of unarmed white people killed by police versus unarmed black people killed by police in 2019 and report back to us. I’m also scratching my head as to why it’s okay for 50+ black people to be killed by other black people every week in America And we don’t hear about these tragedies. We need to stop the violence all around.

I dont know if this is a serious post, but Nicole Brown Simpson didnt get her head almost sawed off by the police. It was OJ Simpson. The protest is against police actions.
Once I actually spent some time to research all of this, it became clear that the problem is not rooted in racism. If it were racism than you would see the impact of these overly-forceful episodes be skewed towards a certain race—but the facts just don’t bear that out.

One of the better fact and logic-based discussions of the issue I came across was this Sam Harris podcast:

that dudes clueless

The NFL is an organization devoted to equality and justice.

Now, please enjoy the game featuring Joe Mixon vs Kareem Hunt.

Reactions: Riveting
We're not debating the value of Marxism. It doesn't work as has been proven over and over again.

Where you seem lost is on the root cause of Marxists trying to overthrow governments. You seem to blame the organizers, the Marxist people, for "creating discontent among the working poor."

Maybe you'd do better to understand what else creates discontent among the working poor. It had been building for decades in the U.S. for some obvious and identifiable reasons. Clever Trump did a masterful job of exploiting that, but he was a flash in the pan and only appealed to poor whites, not all the poor. And he only addressed part of the root causes. And so now starting in 2020 it's going to be lefty this lefty that for years until we get things like the tax code and health care and racial injustice addressed. I'm not interested in the rest of the far left's agenda...because, you see, I'm a capitalist.

Marxists create discontent, where there was none. They add fuel to discontent, where it already exists. They tell people whatever is necessary to move their agenda forward. They make promises that they have no intention of keeping, yet they have deluded fools jumping on board all the time.
Unfortunately, the biggest breeding ground for Marxists in the country have been college campuses. All these empty little heads with no perspective and little life experience come under the influence of some agenda driven Leftist and they become useful tools to the people, who will use them.

There have been many Communist/Socialist uprisings among people, who didn't realize that they weren't content, until some agitator filled their heads with garbage. In EVERY case, those that succumbed to the cry for Revolution ended up under more oppression, than they had, before the Revolution began. Only a few at the top improved their lot in life and they were usually the ones pulling the strings on the puppets that put them in power. Study history and try to find ONE SINGLE TIME, where the average person was benefited by Communism/Socialism? It hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure Bernie, AOC and the Squad believe that it will work, when THEY implement it. And it may for them, for a while, until they completely destroy the country. Think Cuba & Venezuela. Both wealthy little countries, until they were reborn as Socialist Utopias.

It's interesting that we have a country that everyone wants to live in and Cuba & Venzuela are countries that everyone wants to leave, yet the Left wants to turn the US into Cuba/Venezuela. It makes sense though, The Left has turned NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle and numerous other Dem controlled cities into Third World versions of themselves. The states of California, NY, NJ and IL had everything in the world going for them, until they became controlled by Dems and their policies are causing people to flee these states in droves. Yet some of you feel that Dem policies that have failed on a City & State level, will somehow work on a Federal level.
That is a combination of DELUSION & INSANITY.

Reactions: Sophie1970
There will always be poor people. We'll never have a society where some people aren't at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder. That's why you have a lower, middle and upper class.
The best part is, we live in the USofA. The greatest country on earth, where you have the ability to decide which class you want to be in and if you're willing to work, risk and sacrifice (and make good decisions: getting an education, not having children out of wedlock, not committing crimes, waiting on marriage, etc), there's all the opportunity in the world for you.

You are correct, sir. Some people believe that poverty is an absolute thing, whereas it is actually a relative thing. If everyone in the country had a Million dollars and I had only $900,000, I would be poor, relative to everyone else, but I really wouldn't be in bad shape. If you looked at the poorest people in the US, they would be at least Middle class to upper Middle class in about 80% of the countries in the world.

So poverty will NEVER be wiped out, since there will always be wealth disparities in any free society.
As you also said, we have the mechanisms in place, where someone in poverty today can become wealthy, if they have the drive and discipline to make it happen. That is one of the strengths of a Free Capitalist society.

And that Folks, is a victim mentality that needs Big Government to solve his problems. If only the Nanny State took care of us from the cradle to the grave, we would be in a veritable Utopia, where we were ALL the same.

tia

Put your RACE CARDS away. In virtually every incident, the Black victim resisted arrest, fought with police and either had or reached for weapons. Those are stupid things to do, regardless of your race. I'm NOT saying that they should have died, but had they complied, the vast majority of them would be alive today.

Yes, I know there are bad cops out there and should be replaced. With the Leftist geniuses that are defunding Police Departments, they'll never get better. To improve a Police Department, you need better quality people and better training. You'll get neither by defunding the Police, so the problem CAN'T be solved with their flawed thinking.

What pisses me off, is that the MSM is trying to give the impression that White Police Officers are hunting down & killing innocent Black men, which is ridiculous. There have been 12 incidents in the last year and BLM is rioting and burning down cities over that. Yet thousands of Black people are being shot & killed in Chicago and we seldom hear anything about it. I guess Black Lives ONLY MATTER, when they are killed by White cops? When BLM starts showing some interest in the carnage in Chicago, then I'll start believing that they actually care about Black Lives.

The playing field will NEVER be level, yet people of all races rise above the situation they were born into on a daily basis.
If you want to improve the lot in life for inner city minorities, IMPROVE EDUCATION in the inner cities. Allow Charter Schools, so kids have options, but the NEA is fighting that tooth & nail. Education is the single most important building block to a successful life.

Put your RACE CARDS away. In virtually every incident, the Black victim resisted arrest, fought with police and either had or reached for weapons. Those are stupid things to do, regardless of your race. I'm NOT saying that they should have died, but had they complied, the vast majority of them would be alive today.

Yes, I know there are bad cops out there and should be replaced. With the Leftist geniuses that are defunding Police Departments, they'll never get better. To improve a Police Department, you need better quality people and better training. You'll get neither by defunding the Police, so the problem CAN'T be solved with their flawed thinking.

What pisses me off, is that the MSM is trying to give the impression that White Police Officers are hunting down & killing innocent Black men, which is ridiculous. There have been 12 incidents in the last year and BLM is rioting and burning down cities over that. Yet thousands of Black people are being shot & killed in Chicago and we seldom hear anything about it. I guess Black Lives ONLY MATTER, when they are killed by White cops? When BLM starts showing some interest in the carnage in Chicago, then I'll start believing that they actually care about Black Lives.
Well, you're right about one thing; they shouldn't have died, and that is the crux of the matter.

Marxists create discontent, where there was none.

No need to read the rest of your post after that first sentence.

I understand what you are trying to say, but in America, the discontent was already there. That discontent is why Trump got elected. The same discontent that fueled Bernie Sanders is what Trump tapped into in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT