ADVERTISEMENT

Next up...

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
The game at A$$ hall. WE all have our "stats" we hope to see like good shooting, taking care of the ball, rebounding and solid D along with player such and such, but are there any strategies or approaches of concern? Naturally, being poised is huge, but that isn't inside approaches or strategies

For me (and Purdue's defense) it is to keep IU's guards out of the lane. Purdue gives up height at "a" guard spot and they will want to get in the lane every chance he can where his height is advantage and Zach and other's can't be in a spot that allows a lob to Ware in particular and Reneau sometimes as well. This has been Purdue's biggest problem the last couple of years along with losing composure. We all know Matt doesn't want to get beat by a three ball, which we all understand, but I'm unsure it is as big of a problem as the mid-range game in the lane for IU. However, does Purdue go under some handoffs a bit more and switch it up from time to time...wishful IU doesn't hurt Purdue on the three ball. Does Purdue help on perimeter drives with a perimeter player giving up the three ball and keeping Zach in tight to prevent the lob? Or does Purdue just play their typical D approach early and see what adjustments take place during the game?

I believe IU goes back to what worked in the past...which is to extend the perimeter pressure (what kind of whistle here will be important) and physically handle the perimeter players on handoffs and drives, while jumping inside passing lanes physically disrupting what Purdue wants to do. I believe this is but ONE area IU hopes to have success, because doing so not only disrupts the perimeter game, but also makes it harder to feed Zach.

I have no idea if X will play much or being punished for longer term results. My guess is that X plays all Woody wants him to play and his behavior which was done in the past and hurt IU since they lost him after practicing with him will NOT be in play at all. Who takes Galloway? I think it is Lance and sometimes either Ethan or Cam. I like Lance on the ball which could be X, but not sure Braden has the strength for Galloway to make it harder for Galloway to get in the lane? That height doesn't stop with Galloway since there is Gunn. The freshman guard (Cupps) is of no concern for Purdue's D in particular and so he is just another player offering no specific concerns of getting in the lane.

There are sooooooo many things that can affect the game relative to player specifics, but if Purdue has composure and does a good job of keeping IU guards out of the lane I think those two will play a large role in any success Purdue has..

Remember Edey stated after the Penn State win he still has a bad taste in his mouth because of the loss. I hope he goes off on IU, especially since we lost both times vs IU last year. I want a senior’s effort Tuesday.

TJ, you know what I want us to try.....

That aside. Go under screens and force them to beat us from outside. If they have a "Nebraska" day, then so be it. But do not let them do what they want to do which is get inside the lane. Force them to beat us with their plan B or C.

Remember Edey stated after the Penn State win he still has a bad taste in his mouth because of the loss. I hope he goes off on IU, especially since we lost both times vs IU last year. I want a senior’s effort Tuesday.
I never heard that. May need to increase the volume from time to time with that poor audio after the games. Zach can only be Zach and Purdue has to keep him engaged early but not forcing it to him. Iu could dig at the ball, but I just think IU doesn't want to leave the shooters unless they dig with a top man and the D tries to split the difference for recovery a bit and still be able to recover on a shooter. Instead, I think IU doubles Zach with the other big unless the refs have allowed the holding of Zach, and such, as much if not more than usual that IU doesn't send an extra body.

Reactions: Flot and Do Dah Day
Hate the game, feels like nothing to gain and plenty to lose. IU will come out playing hard, we have to match intensity, force them into bad shots, and find our rhythm offensively. Need Edey to stay out of foul trouble. Additionally IU is not a good 3pt shooting team, have to hope they do not go full Nebraska on us.

Play our game and play hard with limited turnovers and we win, easier said then done, especially at the hall of calls.

TJ, you know what I want us to try.....

That aside. Go under screens and force them to beat us from outside. If they have a "Nebraska" day, then so be it. But do not let them do what they want to do which is get inside the lane. Force them to beat us with their plan B or C.
That in essence is a key to keeping them out of the lane that I mentioned, rather than trailing them going over the top while they head to the lane. I also would prefer to see that, but I wonder if that will be the "initial" approach or a consideration to not let the 3 ball get a good look too early in the game. Ultimately though, they will be focused and probably shoot better than usual. This is a huge game for them and the pressure is on Purdue. That pressure will bring focus for Purdue and hopefully not panic.

Hate the game, feels like nothing to gain and plenty to lose. IU will come out playing hard, we have to match intensity, force them into bad shots, and find our rhythm offensively. Need Edey to stay out of foul trouble. Additionally IU is not a good 3pt shooting team, have to hope they do not go full Nebraska on us.

Play our game and play hard with limited turnovers and we win, easier said then done, especially at the hall of calls.
There are so many "stats" that we hope to see, but I think keeping keeping them out of the lane is a key

Reactions: Boiler_HD
All I ever hear from my IU fan friends is that they can’t shoot so I fully expect a team of Larry Birds to show up on Tuesday for them.

All kidding aside, I think getting off to a good start will be a real key. Braden throwing the ball out of bounds immediately after the tip was a bad omen. The Boilers need to be hyped (not too emotional that it leads to bad decisions) and match the intensity of the hosts early. Getting out to a big lead and breaking their spirit early would be huge.

That said, I fully expect another grinder down there.

Agree on matching and exceeding their intensity. This is their Super Bowl and has been for the past couple of seasons. Need to play smart and keep our emotions in check because they will get calls and hit shots.

As it comes to defense, don’t be surprised if we see switches on all guards. That might be best to prevent drives and open 3s.

Finally, think Woody realizes X is cancerous to their team. He is a headcase and causes more damage than good. Depends on how the game is going if he gets a lot of minutes or not.

Agree on matching and exceeding their intensity. This is their Super Bowl and has been for the past couple of seasons. Need to play smart and keep our emotions in check because they will get calls and hit shots.

As it comes to defense, don’t be surprised if we see switches on all guards. That might be best to prevent drives and open 3s.

Finally, think Woody realizes X is cancerous to their team. He is a headcase and causes more damage than good. Depends on how the game is going if he gets a lot of minutes or not.
If Purdue plays typical D they will switch and then it is about whether Lance and Braden can defend Galloway enough to keep him out of the lane. Switching as you state is to try and keep a defender in position, but it is something IU can seek as well to counter. Going under the screens allows Purdue to keep a defender on who they want mostly, but also give up the three ball look. Horizontal screens or guard to guard typically may or may not be a concern other than if Fletch gets in a bad spot. My concern is primarily where a 3 or 4 is screening out on the wing where you prefer to not switch knowing you have a big and small that you don't want to switch. In that situation do you go under or over the top possibly trailing the offensive player into the lane?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
All I ever hear from my IU fan friends is that they can’t shoot so I fully expect a team of Larry Birds to show up on Tuesday for them.

All kidding aside, I think getting off to a good start will be a real key. Braden throwing the ball out of bounds immediately after the tip was a bad omen. The Boilers need to be hyped (not too emotional that it leads to bad decisions) and match the intensity of the hosts early. Getting out to a big lead and breaking their spirit early would be huge.

That said, I fully expect another grinder down there.
"POISE" is huge

The game at A$$ hall. WE all have our "stats" we hope to see like good shooting, taking care of the ball, rebounding and solid D along with player such and such, but are there any strategies or approaches of concern? Naturally, being poised is huge, but that isn't inside approaches or strategies

For me (and Purdue's defense) it is to keep IU's guards out of the lane. Purdue gives up height at "a" guard spot and they will want to get in the lane every chance he can where his height is advantage and Zach and other's can't be in a spot that allows a lob to Ware in particular and Reneau sometimes as well. This has been Purdue's biggest problem the last couple of years along with losing composure. We all know Matt doesn't want to get beat by a three ball, which we all understand, but I'm unsure it is as big of a problem as the mid-range game in the lane for IU. However, does Purdue go under some handoffs a bit more and switch it up from time to time...wishful IU doesn't hurt Purdue on the three ball. Does Purdue help on perimeter drives with a perimeter player giving up the three ball and keeping Zach in tight to prevent the lob? Or does Purdue just play their typical D approach early and see what adjustments take place during the game?

I believe IU goes back to what worked in the past...which is to extend the perimeter pressure (what kind of whistle here will be important) and physically handle the perimeter players on handoffs and drives, while jumping inside passing lanes physically disrupting what Purdue wants to do. I believe this is but ONE area IU hopes to have success, because doing so not only disrupts the perimeter game, but also makes it harder to feed Zach.

I have no idea if X will play much or being punished for longer term results. My guess is that X plays all Woody wants him to play and his behavior which was done in the past and hurt IU since they lost him after practicing with him will NOT be in play at all. Who takes Galloway? I think it is Lance and sometimes either Ethan or Cam. I like Lance on the ball which could be X, but not sure Braden has the strength for Galloway to make it harder for Galloway to get in the lane? That height doesn't stop with Galloway since there is Gunn. The freshman guard (Cupps) is of no concern for Purdue's D in particular and so he is just another player offering no specific concerns of getting in the lane.

There are sooooooo many things that can affect the game relative to player specifics, but if Purdue has composure and does a good job of keeping IU guards out of the lane I think those two will play a large role in any success Purdue has..
Think Galloway is key for IU. Need to keep him in check, especially early when he could get the IU lunatics riled up. Walker is another that could surprise and have a big game.

Try to make Reneau go to his off hand. Like TKR, he is strong hand dominant. Force Reneau right for those that need help.

Ware can make 3’s at a good percentage, but he only shoots 1 or 2 a game. More dangerous mid-range and in. Defense he could alter a few shots. Maybe he will try to beat Edey on transition.

IU is not a high volume 3 pt shooting team. Their decision process is shaky.

"POISE" is huge
For sure. Ivey letting Galloway goad him into a technical a few years ago loomed large in giving IU a spark. It took him off the floor as it was his second foul and his meltdown spurred an IU run and you could practically see the frustration spread right down the bench.

Indiana last year had a point guard that could exploit Purdues defense. With Edey always playing in drop coverage, Hood-Schifino was able to take advantage of that short mid range area of space. For Indianas defense, gotta defend the 3 and the refs won't swallow their whistles at Assembly Hall like they do at Northwestern and Rutgers(I have conspiracy theories as to why). Purdue has a better player at basically every position except the 4 spot where it's Reneau vs TKR. And I'd imagine Jones will be defending Galloway as he's stronger defender than Smith. I see Purdue winning by 15-20. Paint will get shut down and there isn't a TJD or JHS on this Indiana team to help out. Some energy from fans will keep it early close, but Purdue will start pulling away with about 10-8 minutes left in the first.

"Poise" again is very important

exactly-right-sam-elliott.gif

Think Galloway is key for IU. Need to keep him in check, especially early when he could get the IU lunatics riled up. Walker is another that could surprise and have a big game.

Try to make Reneau go to his off hand. Like TKR, he is strong hand dominant. Force Reneau right for those that need help.

Ware can make 3’s at a good percentage, but he only shoots 1 or 2 a game. More dangerous mid-range and in. Defense he could alter a few shots. Maybe he will try to beat Edey on transition.

Thankfully, Galloway is no JHS.

Indiana last year had a point guard that could exploit Purdues defense. With Edey always playing in drop coverage, Hood-Schifino was able to take advantage of that short mid range area of space. For Indianas defense, gotta defend the 3 and the refs won't swallow their whistles at Assembly Hall like they do at Northwestern and Rutgers(I have conspiracy theories as to why). Purdue has a better player at basically every position except the 4 spot where it's Reneau vs TKR. And I'd imagine Jones will be defending Galloway as he's stronger defender than Smith. I see Purdue winning by 15-20. Paint will get shut down and there isn't a TJD or JHS on this Indiana team to help out. Some energy from fans will keep it early close, but Purdue will start pulling away with about 10-8 minutes left in the first.
Kansas thought that too. Trey mid ranged the crap out of them. Trey is no JHS but he will get a bunch off the actions they run for him.

Just can't let Galloway go right on his drives. He's miles better that way. Not much going left. I am sure he will hit a couple 3s after going 0fer in several other games.

I think Galloway is key only due to if he can physically straight arm when dribbling and get into the lane and physically play D if allowed. Reneau if "2 or more" dribbles out you can take away his left a bit, but with one dribble he can spin and score. Have to keep him off the boards. He doesn't have the quick twitch like Davis did where he could throw it up at the board and maybe rebound it before anyone would jump.

IMO Purdue cannot double with Zach (assuming Ware is behind the arc...since he can quickly dive) or another big, but need to have guards dig at the ball or aways be a threat to dig so that you don't give up the lob. Course...depending on who digs that offensive player may get a good look. Bottom line...like many posters, can they hit enough 3 balls to extend Purdue's D over the half court? I just think day in and day out doubling against IU is problematic for Purdue. It by nature starts a rotation of several where a dig at most rotates the perimeter. If you knew Purdue would be successful...okay, but is that my first choice?

Now if Purdue doesn't turn it over and shoots well, it won't matter what Purdue does on the other end unless IU has a very abnormal day shooting. I expect them to shoot better, but if Purdue has 3 players as a threat on the perimeter, Purdue should be okay. Just keep Galloway and X out of the lane or make them beat you unless you are close enough to defend it and still prevent the lob...and that is unlikely. Also, if they get in the lane we know Zach does NOT react quick on a short bounce pass to someone under neath. Again on Galloway and X we may see more perimeter help a bit closer and again giving up the 3 ball to strengthen keeping them out of the lane. IU has an unusual good day shooting and all that goes out the window...at least on certain shooters. Make no mistake, they have to defend Purdue. Purdue is the big boy here, but many of us has a historical understand of this game and know Purdue should be at least 3-1 against IU since Woody and had Purdue made Schifino hit from the outside...who knows how that game would have turned out?

For sure. Ivey letting Galloway goad him into a technical a few years ago loomed large in giving IU a spark. It took him off the floor as it was his second foul and his meltdown spurred an IU run and you could practically see the frustration spread right down the bench.
yeah, not worried about that...but the pressure extended and the refs swallowing the whistle on the perimeter. We know IU is going to do that and so we hope the refs call it and if not that the perimeter players handle the physical D

meh...iu sucks this year. If we can't get up for this game and beat their ass what are we gonna do in March?
The games won't be in A$$ Hall and there will NOT be as much pressure on the other team (IU). All that said and the differences that exist...Purdue needs to have the poise that they need in a close game in the tourney as well. Purdue will be up for the game...no doubt, but there is pressure on Purdue that IU will not have. I've just watched too many games where one team was better and the other team won. Something as simple as FT shooting being abnormal can be a difference...so many things. This game is different than a neutral court game even though Purdue has beaten better teams on a neutral court. Purdue should win this...IU fans know that as well, but Purdue should have swept the last two years and didn't.

Last edited:
I can certainly agree with a LOT of that. In the PSU game...first possession a pass to Trey and then Zach goes low to seal and the pass is knocked out. In that possession there was nobody between Trey and the basket. One hard dribble brushing the shoulder of the defender after a fake with a jab step or a pass/shoot...something to get the defender to move "something" preferably the feet and Trey has a layup or is at least deep enough that when he stops he can go to his jump hook with his right hand depending on the angle, or in the middle of the lane with his left. It does put the defender on notice. Now if they play Reneau behind Zach and try to double the shot with Ware...that is a different situation and where you hope Mason is on fire pulling the four man out.

Trey is close to home and he played VERY little last year. I look for Trey to be mentally ready for this game and to have one of his better games. That said, my gut says spark from Mason and Cam on O and maybe Cam on Galloway...depending on if IUs 3 man is a shooter (do they have one hidden somewhere?) and not driver that allows a Lance or Braden to take him. Course in that situation you can have Fletch on him with Cam on Galloway and Lance/Braden on X, Gunn or Cupps.

Last edited:
Thankfully, Galloway is no JHS.
No, but if he gets deep enough his size is a problem. What happened last year was due to how Purdue defended the sideline screen IMO. The year before it was just simply X snaking around Davis and his high screen into a mid range shot which he hit that year as well...allowing Rob Phinesse his career game resulting from Trevions miss at point blank range...taking the monkey off IUs back. The next year Braden had Phinisee in the secret scrimmage and more than held his own (probably gave a lot of early confidence to Braden). Now, the monkey is on Purdue's back...will they get it off?

Fletch and Braden need to have good games. They haven’t had that yet against IU and this is their year to set the record straight.
Poise and if they do, they will have good games. Can't get careless with the ball like the last two years when IU extends the pressure....AND with IU turnovers or opportunities (the right boards) push the ball with Lance and Braden and make them defend the quickness streaking down the court. Naturally, "if" Purdue jumps on top early...understand that this is a 40 minute game and set 4 to 5 minute wars (inside the clock...one of my favorites) to keep the intensity.

Reactions: proudopete

So what I hear you saying is we "might" show up 🤣

So what I hear you saying is we "might" show up 🤣
No, Purdue will be focused and ready to go. ;) THAT should show up in D. One thing on O I'm concerned is IU blowing up handoffs and being ready to jump the passing lane. Sure would like some back cuts or back screens to maybe get the switch "if defended" Purdue wants, but the bigger concern is having physical contact inward to take the defender in so "he" doesn't blow up the handoff...and to compliment that with a back cut if overplayed going to the handoff. You can expect a real strong hedge as well if Zach has the ball since IU probably thinks they can recover on Zach quick enough. May not mind the hedge if Trey has the handoff???

Guards play well, we win, they don't we likely won't.
This is Purdue's to lose, but "play well" covers a lot of things. One thing that cannot happen is to not engage Zach often, but not force. Him getting involved early seems to help his FT shooting and all around game. Just can't force it if IU says make the perimeter shot...but where is Trey located and is he holding the 4 man off Zach should they want to double...and if not, does Mason stroke it and pull him out?

If Purdue plays typical D they will switch and then it is about whether Lance and Braden can defend Galloway enough to keep him out of the lane. Switching as you state is to try and keep a defender in position, but it is something IU can seek as well to counter. Going under the screens allows Purdue to keep a defender on who they want mostly, but also give up the three ball look. Horizontal screens or guard to guard typically may or may not be a concern other than if Fletch gets in a bad spot. My concern is primarily where a 3 or 4 is screening out on the wing where you prefer to not switch knowing you have a big and small that you don't want to switch. In that situation do you go under or over the top possibly trailing the offensive player into the lane?
I would put Mason and Heide on their primary picker. let him switch onto the guy with the ball

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese and Middawg
I would put Mason and Heide on their primary picker. let him switch onto the guy with the ball
if there is a switch though, now you have a size disadvantage for sure, but those two are quick enough to get a hand in the passing lane and still recover. When an IU player is down on the baseline, Purdue will not be up high on him, but will trail on top of the screen. That has been a problem in the past. Ideally, if Purdue was to play it a bit different and be up high and then as the offensive player makes his move to the screen...find him and make a bit of contact so you are not trailing. Galloway is the main guard that concerns me in that situation. If X is coming up, he probably will need to do a nut check before he comes towards the screen and if Purdue defends by protecting their jewels it may take enough time from X should he miss the first and try again to get on top of the screen and defend his low shooting pocket.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
if there is a switch though, now you have a size disadvantage for sure, but those two are quick enough to get a hand in the passing lane and still recover. When an IU player is down on the baseline, Purdue will not be up high on him, but will trail on top of the screen. That has been a problem in the past. Ideally, if Purdue was to play it a bit different and be up high and then as the offensive player makes his move to the screen...find him and make a bit of contact so you are not trailing. Galloway is the main guard that concerns me in that situation. If X is coming up, he probably will need to do a nut check before he comes towards the screen and if Purdue defends by protecting their jewels it may take enough time from X should he miss the first and try again to get on top of the screen and defend his low shooting pocket.
Rumor is the Boilers are wearing cups for this game

There you go, considering basketball IQ!! ..,. It's the candy stripers!!!

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT