ADVERTISEMENT

New Orleans v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Happy Holidays, Ladies & Gentlemen! Tonight, the top-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (11-0) host the New Orleans Privateers in Mackey Arena. Tip is scheduled for approximately 9:00 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on ESPNU. This is the fifth meeting all-time between the schools and the first since December 2005 (Matt Painter's first year as Purdue coach). Purdue has won all four of the previous meetings. One other interesting game note is that this will be the first time in program history with Purdue playing as the #1-ranked team in Mackey Arena, as the two other previous games were on a neutral floor (last week in Indianapolis) and on the road (last season @ Rutgers).

Projected Starting Line-ups:

New Orleans - Simeon Kirkland, Tyson Jackson, Jordan Johnson, Khaleb Wilson-Rouse, and Daniel Sackey

Purdue - Caleb Furst, Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Although this game may appear to be a mismatch on paper, it's never a good time to look past any opponent, especially with a fairly young team like Purdue. New Orleans has struggled so far this season, but you'd expect them to give a strong effort against the #1-ranked team. The Privateers go-to guy, Jordan Johnson, leads the team in both scoring (14.9 points per game) and assists (3.7 assists per game). Tyson Jackson’s 4.7 rebounds per game paces New Orleans’ rebounding effort. He also adds 10.0 points per game and is also leading from three-point range. Off the bench, Omarion Henry leads in blocks with 0.5 per game.

Purdue has struggled the last two games with outside shooting against Nebraska and Davidson going 10-54 from beyond the arc, including a frigid 3-25 against Davidson last Saturday. I expect it will be the same game plan at the start - trying to establish Zach Edey in the low post and balance that out with shooting opportunities from the wing. I'll be really interested to see how the Boilers come out shooting - they've generally had good opportunities. How will the defensive effort and energy look? They had some breakdowns the last couple of games, which kept the opponent in the game. They have maintained a good edge on the glass, and I expect that would continue tonight.....if the shots still aren't falling, they'll need that advantage.

Hopefully, this game gives the Boilers a chance to work some line-ups and also get Mason Gillis more minutes in his usual rotation. Last game was his first back after three games missed - he played just 11 minutes as Caleb Furst really picked it up with a strong second half effort. Against Davidson, Purdue's bench had one of the weakest games we may see all year with just one point from Brandon Newman. Purdue needs David Jenkins, Jr. and Trey Kaufman-Renn, along with Brandon Newman to get some production - they will be needed down the line in conference play. These next two games will maybe provide an opportunity for that.

Back home after a couple of games.....can the Boilers get things really rolling again in time for the holidays? We shall see in a couple of hours.

@New Pal Boiler......no official word yet concerning tonight's officials.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT