ADVERTISEMENT

Never seen a flagrant called with no replay..

Not only that, but refs initially didn't call it. They let the play continue for about 2-3 more seconds and called a foul on Bryson, then went to the monitors and called flagrant on AJ. I have never seen 2 fouls on 1 play (1 retroactively called).

Originally posted by PBoiler84:

Not only that, but refs initially didn't call it. They let the play continue for about 2-3 more seconds and called a foul on Bryson, then went to the monitors and called flagrant on AJ. I have never seen 2 fouls on 1 play (1 retroactively called).
Once a foul is called, officials can use the monitor to see if it was flagrant, but I didn't know they could go back in time and call a fouol long after it occurred. That was really weird, and might be outside the rules. ...but why does that not surprise me?

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mathboy:

Originally posted by PBoiler84:

Once a foul is called, officials can use the monitor to see if it was flagrant, but I didn't know they could go back in time and call a fouol long after it occurred. That was really weird, and might be outside the rules. ...but why does that not surprise me?

cool.r191677.gif
I'm fairly certain the rules allow officials to review and call a flagrant when one wasn't called. They can also either "upgrade" a common foul to a flagrant or "downgrade" a flagrant to a common foul I think. What they can't do is call a common foul after review when one wasn't called.

Oh, and I agree about the Big Ten Network, but we're stuck with it.
This post was edited on 3/5 9:53 AM by Purdue Grad in Texas

Just an opinion but AJ essentially from described reports knocked the player down. No head contact was involved. To me that's a common foul but the game is over, let it go.

I saw it live. Hammons did lower his shoulder and drill an MSU player. No idea if there was anything leading up to it, but I told my family immediately that he was going to get a flagrant.

To answer others' questions - even if a foul is not called, the refs can go back and review a play to see if a flagrant foul was committed. By seeing the MSU player fall down - that was all they needed to go back and review.
This is more common when a player is hit in the head - or blood is drawn - but same rules apply.

But they didn't go back and look until Izzo complained. Do the coaches have the right to make the officials go back and check the play or is it only if the officials want to? The coaches should have no say in the matter.

Officials do not have to review a play. I've seen games where officials don't. But not with a coach like Izzo bitching.

Bottom line, AJ Hammons has to be smarter than that, whether or not he felt justified. I'm sure CMP has told him that.

You have to expect either the officials will call it, or the other coach will "mention" it to the officials.

It's tough in the heat of the moment, understandably. That was a rough/physical game, which most of us expected.....Boilers just have to move on to Saturday. Last home game of the year (well.....hopefully); I expect Ray Davis, Hammons, and JO to come out intense and focused.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT