ADVERTISEMENT

Never expected this

No idea how families in those states got through these last two years. Incredibly thankful our state government and local school district never masked our children and kept schools open the entire year.

When a child tested positive, they stayed home. The rest of the class continued on like they always have when someone got sick. And everyone survived!

I'm not saying it has not impact on social development but people here are blowing it out of proportion when a lot of this generation was already growing up glued to devices to begin with instead of going outside and experiencing the world.

The worst thing this pandemic taught us was that it was that we prioritized surviving over living but that's been a thing since advances in medicine made us feel like they were entitled to live into our 80s or more.

I'm not saying it has not impact on social development but people here are blowing it out of proportion when a lot of this generation was already growing up glued to devices to begin with instead of going outside and experiencing the world.
All the more reason why keeping kids away from in person schooling was a big problem. In person schooling provided actual social interaction. Even people that were pushing online schooling, now realize the devastating issues that have come from it. For the 20 year old college kid it sucked, but might not have long term consequences. For younger kids this is a big issue.

All I’m asking is if others are getting these challenges from their kids. I don’t know where it’s coming from. Probably a generation of kids pissed off at what we forced them through.
Our 12 year old has asked, but she is just looking for understanding. The CO2 thing with the masks is just scare tactics.

I told our daughter to research the history of vaccines and and how they have been developed. It's never a straight line. But you evaluate wha you think is best for you.

Everyone who says they know one way or the other is lying, they are just making a decision based on what they have heard or read.

The odd thing is the CDC/Fauci knew cloth masks didn't work, but they continued to double and triple down on that nonsense. Could've saved some lives if we would've told high risk people that cloth masks don't work, and if you are at high risk use a high quality mask that does work.
Early on he told us all not to mask up at all and that they wouldn't help. Within weeks that tune changed 180 degrees. That was my clue that this whole thing was a guessing game and going to be politicized.

Agree on carbon monoxide being tin foil take. But cloth masks work was also tin foil hot take. The nonsense came from both sides arguing the issue.

What I think most can agree on, masking children wasn't good for their social development. And it was criminal what we did to a generation of kids with "online" instead of in person schooling (where that occurred).
The entire approach to masking information wise was such a mess. I like got what they were doing in the beginning in trying to prioritize masks for health care workers and prevent people from hoarding kn95s but just telling people they weren't helpful, then they were was so short sighted.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Our world Data has a good website. More people died after the vaccine.

This is an unspeakably stupid take. There wasn’t a go-live date after which everyone was vaccinated. More people died because we couldn’t get them vaccinated.

Look at the mortality statistics for vaccinated individuals and acknowledge the obvious, or continue looking like an idiot.

The entire approach to masking information wise was such a mess. I like got what they were doing in the beginning in trying to prioritize masks for health care workers and prevent people from hoarding kn95s but just telling people they weren't helpful, then they were was so short sighted.
Yeah if they had come out and said they needed to be saved for healthcare workers until they could ramp up production for everyone that would've earned them some credibility with me compared to outright telling everyone something that they probably knew was a lie. That lie badly damaged my trust in the government that will probably last the rest of my life. They basically admitted they will lie to the public if they deem it necessary.

Reactions: TheGunner
Yeah if they had come out and said they needed to be saved for healthcare workers until they could ramp up production for everyone that would've earned them some credibility with me compared to outright telling everyone something that they probably knew was a lie. That lie badly damaged my trust in the government that will probably last the rest of my life. They basically admitted they will lie to the public if they deem it necessary.
The people that were going to hoard them still hoarded them anyways.

Girlfriend was at IU at the time, super early on a med surg floor so it was really tame. They were using their masks for like a week at that point because they were uncertain on supply - apparently it didn't really help much to lie to people.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Look, I’m not debating this. It’s there if you look. There’s also lots of dissenting information to my take.

I’m not even saying either is correct or advising anyone to take one action over the other.

Yes. You were advising exactly that. You stated one POV without the other as "pretty good information," and only now do you acknowledge there is dissenting info.

You got hammered and rightly so.

Yes. You were advising exactly that. You stated one POV without the other as "pretty good information," and only now do you acknowledge there is dissenting info.

All I said was there is pretty good information. Hammered hahahaha

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Based on CNN’s numbers I don’t think many are watching
C'mon Man, The CNN viewers have been lied to for so long, that they've grown addicted to a steady diet of lies.
Russian Collusion - Lie
Hunter's Laptop was Russian disinformation - Lie
Black Republicans are the face of White Supremacy - Absurd Lie
CRT is not being taught in schools - Lie
If Roe vs Wade is struck down, abortion will be illegal in the US - Lie

You just figured that out?

It was not *political*. It has been a pandemic. And it isn't over yet, plus has nearly doubled the deaths of the previous *worst* pandemic of 1918. You have a good resource for talking about this by following the new White House Coronavirus Coordinator, Dr. Ashish Jha. He's measured, respectful and clear... and the head of Brown University Public Health.

More than likely, the child has been following some nonsense on his social feeds. Good that he's confronting you. Now you have a chance to provide a thoughtful, educated response.
Lol, maybe he went to the CDC website and saw the chart that shows unvaxxed deaths in his age group peaked at a whopping 1.6 per 1 million since the new year.

The cloth mask issue is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. How so many smart people fell for that nonsense is beyond me. Just very strange we made kids wear them.

The odd thing is the CDC/Fauci knew cloth masks didn't work, but they continued to double and triple down on that nonsense. Could've saved some lives if we would've told high risk people that cloth masks don't work, and if you are at high risk use a high quality mask that does work.
The ridiculousness continues. I had an appointment about a month ago to see my doctor for an annual checkup and I was required to wear one of those cheap blue masks the whole time I was in my doctor's office. When I questioned him about it, he said that it was about patient comfort, liability and optics.

Patients had been indoctrinated to believe that the masks protected them, so they felt more comfortable wearing them, while in the office. It also made them less likely to blame the doctor, should they get Covid within a few days of their appointment. Since everyone else in the office was wearing them, as well, it reinforced the idea that the masks were beneficial.

What's funny was that as soon as the doctor got into the examination room, he took off his mask and I followed suit. The pretense at protection exposed.

This is WAY off topic and maybe should be relegated to Facebook. But I don’t do Facebook. And this is the only social media I do.

My 16 year old confronted me tonight. He asked me why I forced him to take an unproven vaccine without knowing long term side effects and forced him to wear a mask for two years without knowing the effects of CO poisoning.

Seriously. No kidding. I just told him it was political and we did what we thought was the best thing for him. I told him both sides are using scare tactics and that he would be alright. And that we’re just happy that none of us got Covid.

Is there an upswelling sentiment going on? I was completely taken off guard by his concerns. Any one else getting this?
You forced your 16 year old son to take the vaccine? You deserve to be called out

Peer reviewed research?? Sounds like liberal claptrap

I did my own research and found out that Bill Gates used the vaccine to put microchips in everyone! I bet you won’t find that fact in any “peer reviewed” articles!

Exactly!!! And while we are at it, birds aren't real either! They are just government surveillance drones that recharge themselves by perching on power lines.

If they would have said that the N-95 masks were effective, the panicking public would have snapped them all up and healthcare workers would have been stuck with the cheap blue masks.

The Government lying to you should never come as a surprise. Think about all the lies politicians tell you on a daily basis and realize that they're running the Government. Eureka...

Reactions: Robinahood
You lost everyone with a functioning brain when you said your second sentence, which is blatantly false.
Oh no it’s ok.. when he sees what happens to all the politicians up for re-election in November, who thinks the way he does, then maybe it will sink in.

guys like that are about to find out that CNN PRETENDING people agree with him doesn’t mean that nearly as many people agree with him as he thinks.

the Democrats know this. That’s why they softened restrictions. They saw the race in Virginia and they’ve seen the polling out of Canada. It paints a very dire picture for them.

“it’s not over yet, it’s not over yet” what the f ever.

Not condemning your actions or choices, but there’s pretty good information that for the vast majority of healthy people under the age of 30-40, they are better off without the vaccine.

I think the thing to acknowledge going forward is for everyone to do their due diligence in fully researching new drugs/medicines prior to choosing them for yourself and/or your family. Maybe you did that and came to the conclusion that it was the best choice. If so, I would explain that to your son. If not, simply explain why you thought that was the best decision at the time and maybe apologize if you feel you might have been wrong/misinformed.

also in before this thread is locked.
This guy isn’t a doctor, but he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Reactions: HammerUp
Sorry I posted this last night. I should have known better that it was too political and this is a sports forum and everyone is sick of talking about it. I too, am just like “can this all just go away?

I was taken aback by his concerns. I didn’t know where they were coming from. But it’s pretty obvious. His friends must be sharing their opinions, probably based off their parents.

I had a coaching friend succumb to the virus in March of 2020 who was the first person to be incubated and survive at their hospital. So early on I was really concerned. The whole pandemic changed me. I remember wiping down all groceries in my garage before bringing them into my house or taking them to my 80 year old parents. I have worked out of my home for over two years. We took it seriously.

As an engineer, the mask thing never made sense to me.

When the vaccine came out, all I wanted to do was to get back to normal because this really sucked for my kids. I took it. And when it was available for my kids, I made sure they took it. And they were not happy about it because they knew the virus wouldn’t hurt them.

Now, we’re on the other side. And they rightfully question why we did the things we did. Honestly, it was to get them their lives back as soon as we possibly could.

The CO poising thing is likely BS, but making kids go through high school wearing masks is a tragedy. They don’t get to get that back.

Shame on us for our petty politics. Our kids were turned into pawns. We hurt a generation of kids.

As one poster responded, we’ve turned a generation against political leadership and maybe that is a silver lining.

Last edited:
If they would have said that the N-95 masks were effective, the panicking public would have snapped them all up and healthcare workers would have been stuck with the cheap blue masks.
Doesn't matter the motivation.

And politicians making empty promises is far different than public health officials telling lies during a public health crisis.

As an engineer, the mask thing never made sense to me.

If you don't mind, I'll offer another perspective.

I am not Japanese, but I grow up watching a lot of Japanese anime / cartoons. So the mask things ALWAYS makes sense to me.

You see, in those Japanese anime, if a person is under the weather, s/he always wears a mask. Now of course I don't grow up wearing a mask whenever I have a cold, but it also doesn't strike me as strange for wearing a mask.

To the Japanese, the whole point of wearing a mask is not to protect themselves; it is to reduce the risk for OTHERS to catch the germs that I'll be spreading because inevitably there will be droplets coming out from me through my breathing, speaking, coughing, or sneezing. If you don't wear a mask when you are sick, you are deemed as inconsiderate and rude.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the Japanese is "right," but just that there is a perfectly fine and noble reasoning behind mask-wearing. What doesn't make sense to me is how politicalized it has become in the United States.

-I think this is a normal reaction for a 16 year old.

-A teenager is likely but not guaranteed to be ok from Covid, but it is a great opportunity to teach him things are not all about him. Others he has been around are more susceptible-you mentioned your grandparents. Heck, even you.

-Tell him that men after having covid are more susceptible to ED/low T, etc. He likely thinks you are a genius after you inform him of that.

-As for the other stuff in this thread: A person in their 30-40s should get it, the pandemic is not over, and the newer variants are not less severe.

Reactions: PedsPT93

I think you missed the part where he said there was also lots of dissenting info.

I am not Japanese, but I grow up watching a lot of Japanese anime / cartoons. So the mask things ALWAYS makes sense to me.

You see, in those Japanese anime, if a person is under the weather, s/he always wears a mask. Now of course I don't grow up wearing a mask whenever I have a cold, but it also doesn't strike me as strange for wearing a mask.

To the Japanese, the whole point of wearing a mask is not to protect themselves; it is to reduce the risk for OTHERS to catch the germs that I'll be spreading because inevitably there will be droplets coming out from me through my breathing, speaking, coughing, or sneezing. If you don't wear a mask when you are sick, you are deemed as inconsiderate and rude.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the Japanese is "right," but just that there is a perfectly fine and noble reasoning behind mask-wearing. What doesn't make sense to me is how politicalized it has become in the United States.
Did you know you wearing the N-95 mask offers you more protection than both of us wearing surgical masks? 95% protection. What you should do is get one and not worry about me.

and if you disagree that’s fine. Wait till election day. People who disagree aren’t gonna believe how massively their favorite politicians are rejected. The Democrats learned this in the Virginia race.

after November when some people are like “the pandemic, we aren’t out this.. the pandemic” those in office are basically going to realize they have no chance in 2024 if the go back from whence we can’t even a little bit.

Did you know you wearing the N-95 mask offers you more protection than both of us wearing surgical masks? 95% protection. What you should do is get one and not worry about me.
Exactly. Why anyone is still pretending the regular cloth masks protect you or others is beyond me. A Dr. regularly on CNN who was one of the biggest mask advocates for a long time, said cloth masks are nothing more than face decorations. Another Biden covid advisor said we know cloth masks don't work. This is consistent with what the experts advising Fauci told him at the beginning of the pandemic.

If you are high risk use a mask that does work like a N95. That should've been the advice from day 1, or at least after the initial surge 2 years ago.

Exactly. Why anyone is still pretending the regular cloth masks protect you or others is beyond me. A Dr. regularly on CNN who was one of the biggest mask advocates for a long time, said cloth masks are nothing more than face decorations. Another Biden covid advisor said we know cloth masks don't work. This is consistent with what the experts advising Fauci told him at the beginning of the pandemic.

If you are high risk use a mask that does work like a N95. That should've been the advice from day 1, or at least after the initial surge 2 years ago.
It’s almost like, if you even honor it enough to debate it from the side you and I are on, you’ve already given it more legitimacy than it deserves.

I’m not vaccinated, I had it twice.. both times it was in the neighborhood of something that barely kept me home from school in the 7th grade.

if I was 70 years old, 350 lbs or had a lung condition .. I would have gotten vaccinated and wore a N-95

It’s almost like, if you even honor it enough to debate it from the side you and I are on, you’ve already given it more legitimacy than it deserves.

I’m not vaccinated, I had it twice.. both times it was in the neighborhood of something that barely kept me home from school in the 7th grade.

if I was 70 years old, 350 lbs or had a lung condition .. I would have gotten vaccinated and wore a N-95

Same, likely had it 3x here, barely noticed.

Test a bunch of old people for anything and you will get a lot of "deaths"

• Love
Reactions: BCfanatic2020

In the US, the politicians see mask wearing as a means to exercise control over the populace. The more dictatorial the politicians (President, Governors, Mayors, School Boards, etc.) are, the more rigidly they try to enforce these rules. At some point, everyone has to see the absurdity in what they're doing, because compliance is mandatory for you and your kids, but the people making those rules only follow them, when it's convenient for them.

Japan is a different culture completely. Their society is not as free as ours and their population density is far greater than ours.

Reactions: guidelinesa2
Would someone (Mods) please remove this thread and all the conspiracy BS it contains?
Idiots!

whoa, wait a minute!! Are you one of those sheeple that thinks birds AREN’T government surveillance drones!?!? Do the research, don’t be a lemming!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT