ADVERTISEMENT

Never expected this

JoePurdue

All-American
May 29, 2001
This is WAY off topic and maybe should be relegated to Facebook. But I don’t do Facebook. And this is the only social media I do.

My 16 year old confronted me tonight. He asked me why I forced him to take an unproven vaccine without knowing long term side effects and forced him to wear a mask for two years without knowing the effects of CO poisoning.

Seriously. No kidding. I just told him it was political and we did what we thought was the best thing for him. I told him both sides are using scare tactics and that he would be alright. And that we’re just happy that none of us got Covid.

Is there an upswelling sentiment going on? I was completely taken off guard by his concerns. Any one else getting this?

This is WAY off topic and maybe should be relegated to Facebook. But I don’t do Facebook. And this is the only social media I do.

My 16 year old confronted me tonight. He asked me why I forced him to take an unproven vaccine without knowing long term side effects and forced him to wear a mask for two years without knowing the effects of CO poisoning.

Seriously. No kidding. I just told him it was political and we did what we thought was the best thing for him. I told him both sides are using scare tactics and that he would be alright. And that we’re just happy that none of us got Covid.

Is there an upswelling sentiment going on? I was completely taken off guard by his concerns. Any one else getting this?
Not condemning your actions or choices, but there’s pretty good information that for the vast majority of healthy people under the age of 30-40, they are better off without the vaccine.

I think the thing to acknowledge going forward is for everyone to do their due diligence in fully researching new drugs/medicines prior to choosing them for yourself and/or your family. Maybe you did that and came to the conclusion that it was the best choice. If so, I would explain that to your son. If not, simply explain why you thought that was the best decision at the time and maybe apologize if you feel you might have been wrong/misinformed.

also in before this thread is locked.

I'd have been pissed at you too.

WRduEK.gif

Not condemning your actions or choices, but there’s pretty good information that for the vast majority of healthy people under the age of 30-40, they are better off without the vaccine.

I think the thing to acknowledge going forward is for everyone to do their due diligence in fully researching new drugs/medicines prior to choosing them for yourself and/or your family. Maybe you did that and came to the conclusion that it was the best choice. If so, I would explain that to your son. If not, simply explain why you thought that was the best decision at the time and maybe apologize if you feel you might have been wrong/misinformed.

also in before this thread is locked.
We just trusted what we were told to do, to be honest.

All I’m asking is if others are getting these challenges from their kids. I don’t know where it’s coming from. Probably a generation of kids pissed off at what we forced them through.

Reactions: boilerjax94

You and I think differently. I did not get the vaccine. I wore a mask when I had to and that was it. I took the “science” at the beginning of the pandemic to heart when they said we’re all going to get it but they were just hoping to slow the curve. Somehow I never got it (that I know of). So the way I went about it and the way you went about it were very different. But don’t be taken off guard. He’s 16. He’s supposed to question everything you do and think you’re an idiot at 16. Your response to him should simply be “I’m your dad and I looked at everything I could and made the best decision I could for you with the information I had… and you didn’t get Covid and you’re still alive. Sounds like a great dad to me. Who cares what anyone else says. You know you did what you felt was best for your family and that’s all that matters. Maybe 50 years from now you’ll look back and go “oh shit, that vaccine caused some problems.” Maybe I’ll look back and find out I had Covid without any symptoms but it caused some later effects. Who knows? All I know is my family got through the pandemic and so did yours and we both made what we felt were the best decisions… and you’ve got a 16 year old who questions everything you do and my 5 year old will one day stop thinking I’m the greatest thing since sliced bread and start thinking like a teenager too. That’s life. Haha Good job dad.

It was probably similar to the way I felt when the Govt forced me to take the vaccine or else be fired from my job

You and I think differently. I did not get the vaccine. I wore a mask when I had to and that was it. I took the “science” at the beginning of the pandemic to heart when they said we’re all going to get it but they were just hoping to slow the curve. Somehow I never got it (that I know of). So the way I went about it and the way you went about it were very different. But don’t be taken off guard. He’s 16. He’s supposed to question everything you do and think you’re an idiot at 16. Your response to him should simply be “I’m your dad and I looked at everything I could and made the best decision I could for you with the information I had… and you didn’t get Covid and you’re still alive. Sounds like a great dad to me. Who cares what anyone else says. You know you did what you felt was best for your family and that’s all that matters. Maybe 50 years from now you’ll look back and go “oh shit, that vaccine caused some problems.” Maybe I’ll look back and find out I had Covid without any symptoms but it caused some later effects. Who knows? All I know is my family got through the pandemic and so did yours and we both made what we felt were the best decisions… and you’ve got a 16 year old who questions everything you do and my 5 year old will one day stop thinking I’m the greatest thing since sliced bread and start thinking like a teenager too. That’s life. Haha Good job dad.
Thanks man. Great response! I just wanted to get back to normal. I was first in line to get the vaccine myself.

All I’m asking is if others are getting these challenges from their kids. I don’t know where it’s coming from. Probably a generation of kids pissed off at what we forced them through.
I think it’s gonna be interesting to follow these kids as they mature. I still see some that are “ safetiests” but early returns are that this experience has made them far more conservative/ libertarian than the two group before them who are highly progressive. And there has been an enormous swing with parents w/kids 3-18 - latest poll had them +21 R. That’s a wild movement.

Best of luck to you but I think we have an generation that is not going to be happy with their adults and can’t say I blame them.

Tell your kid that the vaccine led us out of the worst pandemic in 100 years. Or tell him that the vaccine wasn't unproven--because it was. Or tell him there's no such thing as mask-associated CO poisoning. Or tell him that if he wants to be angry, he should direct his ire towards those who kept him from in-person learning at school.

Whatever you tell him, don't apologize to him for getting him vaccinated.

It's crazy that we just gloss over the return to normalcy that was afforded to us as a result of the vaccine's rapid development. Modern miracle.

You should have said "I know son, I was wrong"

I'd ask him where he's getting his information and then discuss the merits of that information and what other sources say as well. I'm convinced that we have been stumbling through this thing mostly blind and unfortunately most of the people making the decisions had political motivations (both ways) so it's really hard to trust what people were pushing us towards. Like someone else said, you're his father and made the best decision based on the info available when you made it. Whether you were right or wrong at this point is largely irrelevant and we may never have evidence either way. He will understand when he gets older and has to make decisions for which there is no clear cut right or wrong.

Both sides using scare tactics really? I remember only one side using scare tactics.

Where does that information come from? I would be interested in seeing it. Source?
Start with “USAwatchdog.com.” Scroll down, lower right hand side, previous episodes. Karen Klingston, April 19th, 2022 episode. She is a former patent researcher and can tell you what is in the patents. Then you can read them for yourself. I would start there.

Reactions: mjgboiler
Look, I’m not debating this. It’s there if you look. There’s also lots of dissenting information to my take. I’m not even saying either is correct or advising anyone to take one action over the other.
You can’t just make a claim and not back it up. The burden of proof is on the one who makes the claim.

I am guessing he got J&J vaccine?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT