ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Daniels “Legacy Unclear” Indy Star

Jan 31, 2002
CA
WTF? Did I miss the last 12 years. Seems like a bit of a bias stink (from a Butler grad and Gannett) or any truth to her rant. (seems like pre-emptive poetic hit job if he runs for anything - then Norah O'Donnell can say "controversial Mitch Daniels...."

My 80s Alumni (and married to a Boilermaker) view of Mitch
  • Incredible manager - Most transparent I've seen - Maybe not perfect but who puts himself/herself more out there? BTW Job search/replacement is confidential in the real world ... not everyone gets a vote despite what faculty likes to think
  • Saved families $1B in tuition (yes some bloated areas get cut - that’s how you find where the waste resides .... and complainers) - Pampered student amenities is one reason costs are out of control. Facilities are a heck of allot nicer than the 80s. $300K for a BS in Economics from BU? $250K for Psych Degree from Gonzaga...Please.....
  • Increased attendance while increasing rankings
  • Embrace online as hybrid option and control quality vs fight innovative option - brick and mortar has to adapt. (Look up Clayton Christensen on disruption in higher education)
  • Respected go-to media voice for quality and value education vs over priced/over rated education model. Not always sugar coated answer but fair and honest IMO.

Her view
“A decade and many, many headlines later, it’s still unclear what Daniels’ legacy in West Lafayette will be” …..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News