ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan v. Purdue Game Thread

it's time to stop using the we are young as an excuse. Michigan isn't exactly old or more experienced than purdue. and next year, michigan will be even better and younger as will purdue. Older teams are necessarily better. they're just older.
You don’t seem to understand how players develop and how an older team has such an advantage. By the way, why do you get to assign rules about what reasons we can use which we can’t?

Size....They have it and we don't...Us having a 6'6" power forward hurt us...Tre was all alone in the paint...Our guards looked scrawny compared to us...And Ivey will be good but for every great shot he makes, he shoots 5 bricks...

Sorry, Sasha wouldn’t have made up the difference tonight. When’s the last time we beat those guys? It’s starting to feel a lot like the IU series in reverse.
I think we beat them twice in ‘18 with Midwest Cowboy, Haas and crew but lost in the B1G tournament that same year. We haven’t won since it seems.

Sorry, Sasha wouldn’t have made up the difference tonight. When’s the last time we beat those guys? It’s starting to feel a lot like the IU series in reverse.

Michigan has now won the last five. Purdue swept Michigan in regular season 2018, with the second in Mackey Arena, 92-88 when Purdue was ranked in the top-5. That was Purdue's last win in the series as they also lost the BTT game that season to Michigan.

Reactions: tjreese and TX4GB
it's time to stop using the we are young as an excuse. Michigan isn't exactly old or more experienced than purdue. and next year, michigan will be even better and younger as will purdue. Older teams are necessarily better. they're just older.
Michigan isn’t exactly old?? They played 5 seniors, some juniors and 3 of the seniors start. We play 5 freshman, 1 sophomore, a hand full of juniors and absolutely zero seniors so explain to me how they aren’t exactly old or more experienced?

Michigan isn’t exactly old?? They played 5 seniors, some juniors and 3 of the seniors start. We play 5 freshman, 1 sophomore, a hand full of juniors and absolutely zero seniors so explain to me how they aren’t exactly old or more experienced?
He will simply change what he wrote to keep an argument going. Sad and dumb.

Reactions: Poprudy
Frustrating game for a young team without a key player. Not the end of the world to lose to a soon-to-be top 5 team. I will gladly take 4 out of 5 from that grueling stretch of games we’ve had. This will be a good learning experience for the young guys.
Getting beat is not a surprise. It was uglier than the point spread though. I'm trying to think of what they will learn that shouldn't have already been learned. Still plenty of games left, but the discipline on O needs to improve and hope that is learned...discipline on passing, shooting, screening..

Whoa....Jaden Ivey with the 9.75 degree of difficulty on that drive. Man, he can attack.
I know he gets out of control at times but damn can the refs call a foul on the defender once and awhile! He creates so much contact on his drives and he never gets rewarded for it. It blows my mind that the refs allow him to get hammered and knocked to the floor with no call but they’ll call some touch foul next time down the floor lol

Last edited:
Size....They have it and we don't...Us having a 6'6" power forward hurt us...Tre was all alone in the paint...Our guards looked scrawny compared to us...And Ivey will be good but for every great shot he makes, he shoots 5 bricks...
I hope somebody checks on Gene. I fear he may have watched the game and want to practice...if he is not having heart issues. Can you imagine Gene watching the shot selection?

I know he gets out of control at times but damn can the refs call a foul on the defender once and awhile! He creates some much contact on his drives and he never gets rewarded for it. It blows my mind that the refs allow him to get hammered and knocked to the floor with no call but they’ll call some touch foul next time down the floor lol
Right or wrong it seems refs don't want to bail you out if the perceive you are out of control. They let them play inside a lot tonight. Edey was allowed more physical play as well. Michigan is better and the margin for error was extremely small. When that is the case possessions are crucial and every bad shot, every bad pass puts you in a hole

Big boy basketball. Our skinny guys need to get to the weight room so they can finish at the rim.
Ya the weight room would definitely help but a shooting foul is a shooting foul it should be called a foul either way. It’s hard to get into a flow when the refs aren’t blowing their whistle on obvious shooting fouls down low, especially when you are a team that depends on it’s low post game. Not saying the refs lost us that game because Michigan hit shots and we didn’t, but when you allow teams to foul our bigs early in the game with nothing being called it leads to frustration and poor play. The funny thing is Dickinson had 2 moving screens called against him and still didn’t foul out.

Reactions: drewjin
Right or wrong it seems refs don't want to bail you out if the perceive you are out of control. They let them play inside a lot tonight. Edey was allowed more physical play as well. Michigan is better and the margin for error was extremely small. When that is the case possessions are crucial and every bad shot, every bad pass puts you in a hole
In most years, Purdue has the TOs under control at this point of the season. Cut those in half and you may be competing.

Reactions: Schnelk
In most years, Purdue has the TOs under control at this point of the season. Cut those in half and you may be competing.
I can attribute turnovers to youth for a lot of things...outside of shot selection absent the shot clock running down. Poise was missing and yes too many turnovers. There is a learning process to READ the defense and react rather than have your mind made before. As an example consider that Jaden has more athleticism and an ability to be a great slicer.. now take Eric, a bit older, not quite as athletic but his probing and a bit more reacting and he gets to the basket without a crowd, whereas Jaden with much less experience starts his full speed drive a bit farther out and is met with a crowd since they read his drive when he took off. That is youth...less reacting and reading than those more experienced. Can you imagine how good Jaden could be as a slicer when he gains a bit more understanding and reacts more than just relying on his athleticism only?

This. Seemed like more passes out of bounds, dribbling off their feet, bad entry passes, etc. tonight. Plus, shot selection was basically a turnover on several possessions.

Why are people bitching?.Michigan has NBA first round picks on the team Purdue doesn't. Look, next year if all return Purdue will be tough as hell, this year lets get in the tourney and build for next year. Also, losing Sasha 100% hurt, he's a double digit scoring upperclassmen, the Boilers need him. Big game is against Minny, lets regroup and win it!

Why are people bitching?.Michigan has NBA first round picks on the team Purdue doesn't. Look, next year if all return Purdue will be tough as hell, this year lets get in the tourney and build for next year. Also, losing Sasha 100% hurt, he's a double digit scoring upperclassmen, the Boilers need him. Big game is against Minny, lets regroup and win it!
I'm not sure anyone is bitching, and I imagine most would have bet on Michigan to win. There wasn't much poise by Purdue that was under Purdue's control...THAT should be the concern. Some of that is youth as is losing Sasha,but there were bad decisions absent age and losing Sasha

Very sad life for sure. My life will move on as will the team. This team still has improvements to make but also looks good enough to beat quality teams. We'll be just fine
Yes, Purdue is a buy right now. They will get better. They are young and make some youthful mistakes...and other mistakes have nothing to do with youth. Kids care and try hard. They battle, but sometimes I see the fan side coming out a lot in the forum. People really like blocks and dunks and yet the value of them are typically less than the enthusiasm over them. Same with high flyers. As an example, how many blocks did Haarms make that "may" or "may not" have went in, versus putbacks by going after the block? To borrow the lyrics from the Boxer-"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest" This team has more talent than when Vince and his freshmen group were freshmen, but they played smarter as a team. They just had a bit more physical limitations.

I believe that all the players are team players in their minds...all willing to give it all to the team. I do not think self evaluation and playing within your abilities is a strength all the time. When Tre never got the ball early, he ended up when he got it taking a jump hook (along the baseline!) and about 5 feet farther than needed. He isn't young. The shot clock has prevented a lot of variety and so now you are going to get around 60 shots in a game...give or take a few every game. The other team is going to get a few more or less, but typically not a large difference. Are you more efficient than the other team? What generates "efficiency" on the offense? Matt is expected to win and as does everyone in the forum, but this rattling on O when teams really come after you needs better execution and that results from discipline with every player. You don't roll the ball out on the court and say go to it. Many of the mistakes continue to happen and they are mental, not physical and can't all be tied to "youth" or losing Sasha. Hopefully, this really ugly game will cause teh team to come together and be honest with each other in how they see things that "hopefully" follows the same vision Matt has for them.

Reactions: Poprudy
I'm not sure anyone is bitching, and I imagine most would have bet on Michigan to win. There wasn't much poise by Purdue that was under Purdue's control...THAT should be the concern. Some of that is youth as is losing Sasha,but there were bad decisions absent age and losing Sasha
Good points, I bet Mich in the first half, if you notice except IU Purdue is usually trailing at halftime. Mich is the better team this year, despite yesterday's performance still happy with the recent Boiler run. The Minny game is a big one, win that and it's an impressive 5-1 record in the last 6.

Good points, I bet Mich in the first half, if you notice except IU Purdue is usually trailing at halftime. Mich is the better team this year, despite yesterday's performance still happy with the recent Boiler run. The Minny game is a big one, win that and it's an impressive 5-1 record in the last 6.
I want Purdue to win, but in fairness I have always had a lean to good shots as well as seeing a person shoot a few times and having a feel for his abilities to actually shoot. My expectations are perhaps too high on offensive basketball execution...I understand my leans. Getting beat (which is felt by the players much more than the fans as it should) is a far second to the decision making I see. I also have a weakness where I lean to offensive execution a bit too high and hustle a bit too low...I know that. Purdue will not beat Minny if they dont have some focus, poise and execution. After this loss I expect Purdue to be focused and win, but there are decisions that need to get better this far in the season and the tough league amplifies those misfires... ;) I hope the kids do well as always...

Reactions: Schnelk
You know I don't follow iu bball...Football man...
Im assuming you're an adult, correct? If so, this is just a sad representative for any fan base. Get out of the parents basement and enjoy life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT