ADVERTISEMENT

Memory of Bill Russell

javboiler1

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2009
In the early 1970’s my brother attended Oakland City College just north of Evansville. I spent a weekend with my brother. That weekend Oakland City had some event where Bill Russell was a speaker. After his speech he took questions from the audience. As a 10-12 year old I raised my hand to ask a question. Bill pointed to me but some guy seated close to me asked a question instead. Disappointed I was not going to ask my question. My brother’s roommate encouraged me to raise my hand again

I raised my hand and Bill pointed to me. My brother was about to crawl under his chair as he was afraid I was going to ask a stupid question. I asked him which was the toughest team he every played against. His response was the 1967 Sixers. He said they had some great players including Wilt Chamberlain.

After he speech I was able to shake his hand. I asked for his autograph. He said no. I was disappointed however he took the time to explain his reason for declining my request for his autograph. He told me that if he gave me his autograph it would imply that he was greater than me. He told this 10-12 year old kid from Otterbein, Indiana near Lafayette that I was just as good as him.

I will never forget that comment and it made me feel good. He could have just said no and gone on to talk and meet others but he took his time to actually talk to me and explain his decision. After that he was always one of my favorite sports personalities.

RIP Bill Russell. You will be missed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News