ADVERTISEMENT

McBryde is transferring ...

KODK

All-American
Nov 9, 2004

Purdue announced that Dominique McBryde will transfer, after being granted her release on Wednesday.

McBryde averaged 7.0 points and 5.3 rebounds over the last two seasons, being named honorable mention All-Big Ten last year.

“We wish Dominique the best of luck in her future endeavors, academically and athletically, and thank her for all the hard work over the past two seasons,” said Sharon Versyp said in a release.

McBryde had struggled a bit as a sophomore, at least not hitting the potential many had set for her, but was considered central to Purdue's foundation for next season. The 6-foot-2 forward is the second Boilermaker to transfer this offseason, joining Bree Horrocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22fanclub
Purdue announced that Dominique McBryde will transfer, after being granted her release on Wednesday.

McBryde averaged 7.0 points and 5.3 rebounds over the last two seasons, being named honorable mention All-Big Ten last year.

“We wish Dominique the best of luck in her future endeavors, academically and athletically, and thank her for all the hard work over the past two seasons,” said Sharon Versyp said in a release.

McBryde had struggled a bit as a sophomore, at least not hitting the potential many had set for her, but was considered central to Purdue's foundation for next season. The 6-foot-2 forward is the second Boilermaker to transfer this offseason, joining Bree Horrocks.

Well, I wish her the best for the future first. And secondly I am glad you are leaving if you don't want to be here. If she was unhappy and still here that could cause problems. As to why kids choose to transfer, could be any number of things. Some kids have a wonderful valid reason for transferring, but many kids today think the whole world is about them and if anything is hard for them they give up and hope to find somewhere easier and where they perceive they are more appreciated.

The disposable world we live in today. If you don't like it, get a new one.

This is sad as a fellow BNL grad. I wonder if she goes to Vanderbilt too where there are Purdue ties or the unthinkable, IU. Butler is also an option with the BNL ties there.

Reactions: dne1993

We just lost a 6-5 post and a 6-2 post. We have three recruits verbally committed for 2018 and 2019. All three are guards and the tallest is 5-9. This year's incoming class includes a raw 6-5 post, two 6-1 posts and two more sub 6 foot guards. Our existing roster includes a 6-6 post who is a reserve, a 6-2 leaper and six sub6 foot guards. Anyone see a dangerous pattern developing?

This is sad as a fellow BNL grad. I wonder if she goes to Vanderbilt too where there are Purdue ties or the unthinkable, IU. Butler is also an option with the BNL ties there.
I think the "with restrictions" language will eliminate IU from consideration.

We just lost a 6-5 post and a 6-2 post. We have three recruits verbally committed for 2018 and 2019. All three are guards and the tallest is 5-9. This year's incoming class includes a raw 6-5 post, two 6-1 posts and two more sub 6 foot guards. Our existing roster includes a 6-6 post who is a reserve, a 6-2 leaper and six sub6 foot guards. Anyone see a dangerous pattern developing?
This pattern?
Camille
Taylor
Joslyn
Haley
Erica
Bree
Dominique

Reactions: DJDianna
we had better strike gold with a freshman post , or we will be a very small team. Rebounding and post defense will be a troubling issue all next season.

Now, I would think Bree discussed her plans with the coaches and fellow players long before the announcement. However, what we have seen is a long, long lead time for recruiting, so our at to react quickly to these departures is limited. This is especially true when we lose multiple players at the same position. The only consolation is that many of the better teams are randomly losing good players also.

On all levels, being a fan has changed. There is no guarantee, on any level, in any sport what a team will look like year to year even sometimes almost to the edge of the next season as that Purdue guard demonstrated a couple of years back. It is the nature of the beast for everyone. That being said, the loss of McBryde is a real blow to this team and cannot be minimized. As an older man, sports is one of my retirement pleasures and I have followed Purdue WBB since the late 1990's, disappointed in the downfall as are others, but a fan, so always looking for silver linings. This is NOT one and will definitely affect what this team, which seem(s) (ed) to be on the upswing. Versyp just does not seem to be able to keep bigs and you have to have them. Getting that top guard, again due to a coach firing and not any special ability to recruit, probably is good, but now next year's team I think will still be top 7 but not much more. Too bad, but I am getting used to it as a fan of sports in general and its wildly changing nature.

Definitely a loss but, if she's not happy, you'd rather have her go than cause problems. Playing small ball doesn't concern me that much - the game is changing. And for all the hand wringing/nashing of teeth/etc about all the players who've transferred, almost none of them had done much for us and even fewer achieved much at their next stops. Would possibly some of them have helped us? (and I definitely think McBryde would have - if she bought in to what coach V wanted her to do) But the reality is that they didn't/hadn't. "My team is on the floor" Norman Dale.

Reactions: mathboy
MCBryde loss will make a difference. She would have been a key player in the rotation whereas Horrocks might not have been. Have to wonder why a player would be unhappy and transfer in her junior year when she had such an obvious key role in the coming season. We'll never know. :)

MCBryde loss will make a difference. She would have been a key player in the rotation whereas Horrocks might not have been. Have to wonder why a player would be unhappy and transfer in her junior year when she had such an obvious key role in the coming season. We'll never know. :)
I think you are right about Horrocks. Her leaving is likely to be a plus, because the player who replaces her is likely to be more valuable. Great person, but not a great basketball fit at Purdue. I am disappointed that McBryde is leaving, but she didn't really improve between her freshman and sophomore years and was a liability on offense because of her unwillingness to shoot anything but layups. Teams didn't have to guard her outside the small area around the basket. Perhaps in the post-season meeting SV told her that she had to do things that DM didn't want to do. If so, better she leaves. We have another opening, and the word is that there are a lot of good players in the 2018-2019 classes. Anyone hear anything about the player from Tennessee who is supposed to have visited?

Always good to look at the glass half full but McBryde was prob the 7th player option in the rotation and therefore a really felt loss. Despite her limitations there appears to be no one to take that role and do what she could do. Right now we prob have a starting five of Harris, Keys, Oden, Cooper and MCLauhlin with Murphy getting heavy minutes and Kiesler more than she would have. Not very deep. Of course we do not know what the new players will bring and it may well be that one or two of them stepping up can make a true difference. Anyway, the landscape has changed and Coach V has to make the adjustments like every coach. I am sure the OSU guy was counting on big things from McCoy.

some of the above comments...
Let's look at her back on her "limitations" as a 6'2" forward instead of speculating and typing with emotion.

She led the team in rebounds 2016-17.

2016-17 / AS A SOPHOMORE

• Named honorable mention All-Big Ten by the coaches
• Posted her first career double-double vs. USC Upstate with 14 points and 11 rebounds, the first of three on the season
• Tallied career-best marks of 15 points and 12 rebounds at Illinois
• Ranked 12th in program history in field goal percentage, converting 49.1 percent from the field
• Ranked 14th in the Big Ten in rebounding, grabbing a team-best 6.3 per game this year
• Posted the seventh-best field goal percentage in conference play, connecting on 53.8 percent
• Her 221 rebounds this season are third-most by a sophomore in program history, and her 6.3 boards per game are tied for the sixth-best sophomore average
• Sixth-most rebounds in program history over her first two seasons with 357
• Tied for 20th all-time at Purdue with 66 career blocks

2015-16 / AS A FRESHMAN

• Recognized as the Boilermakers' Most Improved Player at the postseason banquet
• Named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on Feb. 29
• First freshman to score 20+ points in a game since Courtney Moses in 2011, posting 22 vs. Minnesota and 23 vs. Rutgers
• Blocked five shots against Nebraska, becoming the first Purdue freshman to deny five shots in a game since Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton vs. Michigan (1/9/05)
• Started her first career game at Maryland
• Poured in a career-best 23 points on 10-of-12 shooting against Rutgers, including seven of the team's 13 points in overtime
• Blocked five shots in a game a second time, erasing five shots against the Scarlet Knights
• Secured a career-high 10 rebounds vs. Wisconsin, all coming on the defensive end
• Her 37 blocks are fourth-most by a Purdue rookie in program history
• Ranked 11th in the Big Ten in field goal percentage, hitting 52.4 percent from the floor, and posted the fifth-highest shooting percentage in conference play, dropping in 54.8 percent
• Tied for ninth in the conference with 1.2 blocked shots per game
• Led the team in rebounding eight times on the season and paced them in blocks eight times as well

HIGH SCHOOL

• Four-year varsity letterwinner at Bedford North Lawrence High School, leading her team to back-to-back 4A state titles in 2013 and 2014
• Graduated as the school's all-time leading scorer at 1,672 career points and all-time leading shot blocker with 229 rejections
• Averaged 20.0 points and 6.4 rebounds as a senior, as the team finished 27-1 and won the Hoosier Hills Conference title for the fourth consecutive season
• Turned in 15 points, 7.1 rebounds, 3.2 blocks, 3.0 assists and 1.9 steals per game as a junior, including 11 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks in the 2014 state championship game
• State qualifier in the long jump in track and field
• Coached by Damon Bailey, Jeff Allen and Kurt Godlevske

NOTEWORTHY

• Rated a five-star recruit with a 97 rating and the No. 30 ranking in the nation by ESPN HoopGurlz
• Ranked 45th in the nation by All Star Girls Report
• Named the No. 50 recruit in the class by ProspectsNation.com
• Ranked 56th by Jump Off Plus
• Named a 2014 sixth team high school All-American by MaxPreps.com
• Three-time first team all-state honoree
• Four-time All-Hoosier Hills Conference award winner
• Member of the Indiana Junior All-Stars core team in 2014 and the Indiana Senior All-Stars core team in 2015
• Nominated for the 2015 McDonald's All-America game

Her rebounding certainly was a plus. She had fewer blocked shots and big scoring games as a soph than as a frosh. Her field goal percentages are high because she shot only layups. At this point, the high school stuff means only that she never played as well as the so called "experts" expected. Why is another matter.

Her rebounding certainly was a plus. She had fewer blocked shots and big scoring games as a soph than as a frosh. Her field goal percentages are high because she shot only layups. At this point, the high school stuff means only that she never played as well as the so called "experts" expected. Why is another matter.

I do think her body language was very negative and she did not exhibit many signs of enjoying playing.

Reactions: PurdueTim16
I do think her body language was very negative and she did not exhibit many signs of enjoying playing.
I agree with you, Des. I was so excited for her future when she was a frosh but last year I asked myself many times whether she was really enjoying being out there. As the year went on she clearly was being supplanted by Ae'Rianna Harris. She had several (at least one - maybe two?) head injuries too. Sometimes people are never the same afterwards. (And that is pure speculation.)

Anyway, I hope if she continues to play she finds what she is looking for and that she excels in her future which is about a lot more than women's basketball.

Rotational player that will be a loss. That's just how college basketball is right now, either gender. We're not exempt. Hope we find someone that can step up and help the team win games.

I just read an article in the Bedford paper from "The Times Mail" tweet. The restrictions are no Big 10 schools and no Purdue opponent in the next 2 years. That rules out IU, Butler, Ball St, Indiana St. She mentioned that she didn't fit in on and off the court. She will know what questions to ask this time around and will be more observant of what is going on behind the scenes.

SV may still sign a transfer herself now that schollys have opened up. This gives the frosh more potential PT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT