ADVERTISEMENT

Mason Gillis - Big 10 6th Man of the year

Hopefully he returns. Right now, I don't see anyone who can fill his role.
Catchings. Yet to be seen if he can defend BIG 4s but I think you have to let the new guys play a ton, take their lumps and hope we get hot by March!

It will be interesting to see our non-conference schedule for next year. Specifically, how tough it will be, taking into account all the young newbies.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It will be interesting to see our non-conference schedule for next year. Specifically, how tough it will be, taking into account all the young newbies.
I hope Painter and staff are just as aggressive in their approach. Win or lose, those games will help the young kids come March.

I can’t remember the early tourney we are playing in but I think San Diego with ND, BYU and Arkansas in the mix. This we also head to Vegas to play Arizona. Would love to get a home and away series with Gonzaga on the books. Same with someone solid in the Big East.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
Experience with Braden, Fletch, and Trey will help. But yes, the team will be much younger next year for sure.

Yes. How else do they get better?

Sorry to inform you but with 6 incoming Freshmen, we don’t really have a choice but to play the young guys and lose a little.
How else do they get better?

Painter has no idea, right? Or Izzo. Or any other major college coach.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Yes. How else do they get better?

Sorry to inform you but with 6 incoming Freshmen, we don’t really have a choice but to play the young guys and lose a little.
Perhaps look to THIS team for an answer that doesn't involve playing freshmen before they've earned the right. ;)
Braden Smith, Fletcher Loyer, Cameron Heide, Trey Kaufman Renn, Caleb Furst all potential starters. Will Berg and Myles Colvin and Brian Waddell in the rotation.
That's all without a single freshmen minute.
They'll have a lot of work to do to carve out PT, especially if Myles can play backcourt.
Not sure what you're smoking, but pass it over here!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Furst is a pre- med major and I believe he is more concerned with finishing up his premed schooling at Purdue than hitting the portal. Might be wrong but he strikes me as someone that would make that decision. Plus I think he gets PT next year.

Perhaps as a premed he goes to one of the schools in Indianapolis & plays ball. The med schools are right there, and makes for a nice transition to his calling.

Perhaps look to THIS team for an answer that doesn't involve playing freshmen before they've earned the right. ;)
Braden Smith, Fletcher Loyer, Cameron Heide, Trey Kaufman Renn, Caleb Furst all potential starters. Will Berg and Myles Colvin and Brian Waddell in the rotation.
That's all without a single freshmen minute.
They'll have a lot of work to do to carve out PT, especially if Myles can play backcourt.
Not sure what you're smoking, but pass it over here!
We’ll be a better team in March, and likely earlier if we don’t do that.

Yeah, they play them.
Ignorant.

Izzo's team struggled this year, yet he didn't give his 5-star freshman meaningful playing time until the 2nd half of the B1G season. Purdue was dominating the B1G and has been top 3 in the nation all year while developing their 4-star players. Anyone watching the games could see they weren't ready early, but were improving as the season progressed.

To not know that is simple ignorance. It's something else to keep arguing against it and declaring Painter is an idiot because he didn't do what you wanted.

Ignorant.

Izzo's team struggled this year, yet he didn't give his 5-star freshman meaningful playing time until the 2nd half of the B1G season. Purdue was dominating the B1G and has been top 3 in the nation all year while developing their 4-star players. Anyone watching the games could see they weren't ready early, but were improving as the season progressed.

To not know that is simple ignorance. It's something else to keep arguing against it and declaring Painter is an idiot because he didn't do what you wanted.
I think you’re missing the whole point. Im speaking about the 2024 class. Not this seasons class. We’ll need Harris and Catchings to be big contributors IMO. Somebody has to fill Lance’s minutes and Catchings is too good to not play.

The argument is you play your best guys regardless of class IMo. Especially if they are freshmen in hopes you peak at the end of the season.

It’s a different year. It’s a different formula for success next year than this, IMo.

We can not play freshmen next year but it will absolutely be to our detriment.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
I think you’re missing the whole point. Im speaking about the 2024 class. Not this seasons class. We’ll need Harris and Catchings to be big contributors IMO. Somebody has to fill Lance’s minutes and Catchings is too good to not play.

The argument is you play your best guys regardless of class IMo. Especially if they are freshmen in hopes you peak at the end of the season.

It’s a different year. It’s a different formula for success next year than this, IMo.

It's likely some will be ready. By all accounts, members of this class embrace playing defense. Those who don't are very likely to ride the bench in favor of the veterans. Or redshirt.

Coach will play the guys he feel are most ready to help the team win.

Next year will tell us what type of coach Purdue really has as he will need to replace multiple impact players from this year's senior class.

No. There are no absolutes, not even your opinion.

No. There are no absolutes, not even your opinion.
If we play predominantly upperclassmen and not give Harris and Catchings they run they’ll need and deserve, we’ll be worse by the end of the year. Not better.

It’s a simple premise. Only seemingly hard for YOU to understand.

People said the same thing about Colvin this year.
I think Colvin played slightly less than he should have but it’s hard to totally disagree with his usage this year.

I think next year we need big minutes from a ball handler (Harris) and a slashing presence that can rebound a bit (Catchings).

Painter will play them when/if ready. Heads will explode when they do. Can’t wait to see the blame flying when they get minutes over a less talented player!

I think Colvin played slightly less than he should have but it’s hard to totally disagree with his usage this year.

I think next year we need big minutes from a ball handler (Harris) and a slashing presence that can rebound a bit (Catchings).

Painter will play them when/if ready. Heads will explode when they do. Can’t wait to see the blame flying when they get minutes over a less talented player!
I think they will play. But It will be interesting to see how much, especially early in the year. We've got a solid returning core of Smith, Loyer, Colvin, Heide, Furst and TKR (assuming none go in the portal). That could easily be the 5 starters and 1st guy off the bench early in the year.

Because you see that a lot here? lol. Please point to an example.

I'd argue both Catchings and Harris are better than Colvin, at least at this point.

But regardless, we will have holes to fill with no Gillis, Edey or Jones or even Morton plus one more player TBD. So, this is a bit of a moot argument.

It's not just going to be Smith, Loyer, TKR, Heide, Colvin and Furst. There's going to be at least two other players in there who play significant minutes. And those two frosh are going to be given every chance to play.

I'd argue both Catchings and Harris are better than Colvin, at least at this point.

But regardless, we will have holes to fill with no Gillis, Edey or Jones or even Morton plus one more player TBD. So, this is a bit of a moot argument.

It's not just going to be Smith, Loyer, TKR, Heide, Colvin and Furst. There's going to be at least two other players in there who play significant minutes. And those two frosh are going to be given every chance to play.
And that’s my point. People are so brainwashed here to think they shouldn’t play just because they are Freshmen.

Feels like most of the board is stuck in 1971 there…

If we play predominantly upperclassmen and not give Harris and Catchings they run they’ll need and deserve, we’ll be worse by the end of the year. Not better.

It’s a simple premise. Only seemingly hard for YOU to understand.
LOL, again, you suppose that to be the case. As opposed to factual.
Only YOU can't seem to grasp that.

I would not assume that Harris and Catchings are ahead of Colvin. I believe that they are very talented for sure, but they haven’t spent any time learning the system or adjusting to Big Ten basketball. To me, Colvin looks like a player on the verge of breaking out and becoming a star. I would say that all three have high upsides and that it is difficult to rank them at this point, given that we have only seen Colvin in a Purdue uniform, but as the known quantity, I am most confident about Colvin’s readiness to contribute next season.

I would not assume that Harris and Catchings are ahead of Colvin. I believe that they are very talented for sure, but they haven’t spent any time learning the system or adjusting to Big Ten basketball. To me, Colvin looks like a player on the verge of breaking out and becoming a star. I would say that all three have high upsides and that it is difficult to rank them at this point, given that we have only seen Colvin in a Purdue uniform, but as the known quantity, I am most confident about Colvin’s readiness to contribute next season.

Alot of unknowns.
But a month or 2 earlier I would have agreed with quaz. But lately we all have watched both Heide and Colvin blossum. Hopefully that explodes here in next 4 games. But toss up @ this point. Edge to experience. But H&C continue this trajectory.....look out!!

Last edited:
Saying that none of these freshmen will start or get much playing time early on may be a bit short sighted. There seems to be a lot of talent coming in and only time will tell where they fit in as new players. Let’s not forget that last year painter started two freshman guards that in most of our eyes exceeded expectations. I don’t know the answer as to whether or how much playing time they get out of the gate but I won’t rule it out. I believe both Heide and Colvin can play important roles and recent history shows that just because you were a starter playing lots of minutes in the past doesn’t mean you will keep that role going forward. Excited to see how it all shakes out next couple of years! But more excited for our game tonight against Gonzaga! BTFU 🖤💛🏀 Let’s Go BOILERS!!!

And that’s my point. People are so brainwashed here to think they shouldn’t play just because they are Freshmen.

Feels like most of the board is stuck in 1971 there…
You seem to be stuck on seeing things no one posted. Hallucinations?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT