ADVERTISEMENT

Lawn Care Question(s)

hunkgolden

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2004
Anyone know the right times (calendar wise) to put the following on a lawn (in Indy):
Fertilizer with crab grass preventer
Grass seed
Regular fertilizer
Clover/weed killer
Grub killer

Thanks in advance!

Is this for a gay or straight lawn ceremony?

The answer will determine whether I can help you or not.

(it's a joke).

One thing I know for certain is that if you want to grow new grass from seed, you cannot put down any herbicide other than one specifically designed for that purpose. Almost any other crab grass, clover, weed, etc. herbicide will prevent new grass from growing. Also, starter fertilizers (i.e., fertilizer/herbicide designed for seeding) is not nearly as good as preventing crab grass and the like as the regular stuff.

If you have discrete, confined areas you want to seed, you can cover them with a garden fabric or other material before you apply a herbicide in order to try to prevent the herbicide from falling on the bare patch you are seeding. Heck, even sheets of cardboard would probably work for that purpose, as I don't think the herbicide will migrate all that much.

Of course seeding is always better in the Fall. But if you are like me, you always forget about that until right around this time of the year when you are looking to put down fertilizer/herbicide.

After we lost our front yard a few years ago, and I'm still working on the back, I got off chemicals so can't help you there. But what I've been told re grass seed, here in SC, wait until evening temps reach a consistent 70. It's really about soil temp but it has worked the past couple years.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Depends on what type of grass you want to grow. 70 deg evening air temp is too warm for cool season grasses like fescue or bluegrass, which is what most people grow in the midwest. For warm season grasses like zoysia, it's about right. That's why it's best to plant cool season grass seed in n the fall.

when to plant

Have'nt looked at your link yet but will, but yes, I agree and was just using what I have heard in SC not trying to give a mid west specific. Just trying to point out that like most gardening, for your area, soil temp is important and often overlooked.

Indeed....they have a lawn maintenance schedule .pdf for Indiana lawns....

...that I download, laminated and pinned on my garage wall for easy reference. However, the link on there that goes to it is 'AY-27' doesn't seem to be working. I notified the webmaster so hopefully he'll correct it.

This post was edited on 4/8 7:45 PM by Boiler20

Thanks B20. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Something to print off and refer to year after year.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If you join 'Turf Tips'' mailing list, they will update you infrequently about growing conditions, only when it requires action.

Were you able to get the .pdf page to appear? I could not.

Additionally, they will give you what brand of seeds they use/recommend. If you live in Indy, you can get the brand at Indiana Mulch, on the northside of Pendleton Pike, just west of the old 'Bird Ford'. Not sure if is still that name. I'm pretty sure that Sue Bird and her 18-20 year old son tried to carry on after the tragic suicide of the husband/father/owner/founder of the dealership.

Anyway, its just west, and north of the actual street by a good 2-300 yards.
This post was edited on 4/8 9:39 PM by Boiler20

The PDF link still isn't working. Man - that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for too.

I never know when to treat clovers or when to seed vs. putting down crab grass preventer.

Hopefully that page starts working again. Thanks again B20!

Just called them - they changed their website address to make it easier to find ironically.

Here is the new address. Click on publications for homeowners and all of the PDF links are listed.

Life is good.

Turfgrass Science

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT