ADVERTISEMENT

Khristian Lander to IU

^^Painter is way better than that.^^ There is no way that Matt Painter, after watching two quarters of an in-state 15/16 year old five star player at an AAU game, quit recruiting him because the kid was yelling at someone in the stands (if that story is remotely true). Painter is way better than that.

There is plenty of reason to believe that Lander is a really good kid. Lander is very close with Leal and Galloway - that and IU's need for ball-handlers next year were major factors in this commitment.
It is unclear to me what you mean when you say and highlight,"Painter is way better than that.

Now I have no idea whether the kid and his father were yelling back and forth and Matt walked out...no idea what so ever, but curious what do you mean "Painter is way better than that"? The last time a player starting getting directions from his father at Purdue, Matt was very selective in trying to get and keept the right culture. Perhaps you don't recall Ronnie Johnson and some conflicting things his last year at Purdue with Ronnie's father? I hate even writing that, because that long gone and I shouldn't hold any hard feelings towards a player that was listening to his father. The point I'm trying to make is that depending on teh situation with this kid and his dad, it could be very believable that Matt got a bad vibe based upon previous experience that led to some of Matt's most frustrating years. So, I have no idea if you are wrong or not, but curious what you mean when you say Painter is way better than that...

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
It is unclear to me what you mean when you say and highlight,"Painter is way better than that.

Now I have no idea whether the kid and his father were yelling back and forth and Matt walked out...no idea what so ever, but curious what do you mean "Painter is way better than that"? The last time a player starting getting directions from his father at Purdue, Matt was very selective in trying to get and keept the right culture. Perhaps you don't recall Ronnie Johnson and some conflicting things his last year at Purdue with Ronnie's father? I hate even writing that, because that long gone and I shouldn't hold any hard feelings towards a player that was listening to his father. The point I'm trying to make is that depending on teh situation with this kid and his dad, it could be very believable that Matt got a bad vibe based upon previous experience that led to some of Matt's most frustrating years. So, I have no idea if you are wrong or not, but curious what you mean when you say Painter is way better than that...

i mean that Matt Painter is not going to have an emotional reaction to one moment (or half a game) of a young super talented kid he’s interested in and walk out of a gym never to have interest in that kid again.

two of top 3 in 2019, and top two players in the 2020 class......top 3 if Lander reclassifies. Looking good with Kaufmann and a couple others in 2021....I would call that a "lock down". You should just hope that Painter never leaves, it will be hell when it happens.
Sorry, not a Kaufman fan. Low motor

Romeo played with a bad wrist.
He was on a team that regressed. He made that team worse. The point about him he effected IU in a negative way. Not all 5* recruit are going to help out the team in a positive way. Yes, you got probably a really good player but to say he's taking IU somewhere they haven't been in awhile is not doing a 18 year old kid justice. Look how bad you guys treated RL.

i mean that Matt Painter is not going to have an emotional reaction to one moment (or half a game) of a young super talented kid he’s interested in and walk out of a gym never to have interest in that kid again.
You could be right...unless he had other signals and it was confirmation. I also wouldn't dismiss the effect on Matt that I just mentioned with parent and player...particularly one that has the ball in his hands mostly. I truly have no idea any background on this adn it isn't important for me to have any background. The kid is going to IU and not Purdue and that is the end of the story. Like others have said...I'm much more interested in a big 3 or a 4 that can score in a variety of ways. Purdue needs that more than a guard IMO

You could be right...unless he had other signals and it was confirmation. I also wouldn't dismiss the effect on Matt that I just mentioned with parent and player...particularly one that has the ball in his hands mostly. I truly have no idea any background on this adn it isn't important for me to have any background. The kid is going to IU and not Purdue and that is the end of the story. Like others have said...I'm much more interested in a big 3 or a 4 that can score in a variety of ways. Purdue needs that more than a guard IMO
I thought Painter was a fan of his PG having helicopter parents? :rolleyes:

Reactions: tjreese
He was on a team that regressed. He made that team worse. The point about him he effected IU in a negative way. Not all 5* recruit are going to help out the team in a positive way. Yes, you got probably a really good player but to say he's taking IU somewhere they haven't been in awhile is not doing a 18 year old kid justice. Look how bad you guys treated RL.
Nobody said anything about lander taking IU anywhere. But, the kid is scary good, like it for IU or not

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I thought Painter was a fan of his PG having helicopter parents? :rolleyes:
It was a bad situation. That said, it was Ronnies father and obviously his father had went through a tough time. Ronnie's love for his father may have been strong and we don't know all the details. I don't want to hold anything against Ronnie in that situation, but it obviously was difficult for Matt

It's a good hit for IU, pair him with Davis next season assuming he reclassifies and Davis returns and they have a nice couple of players, seems like a 2 year player.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Nobody said anything about lander taking IU anywhere. But, the kid is scary good, like it for IU or not
You have an odd way of showing it. Your fan base is just an odd bunch. You guys come here and talk smack but your own board is about us. Just go there and look at it....it's a mess. Someone get these guys some Purdue gear... Please.

It was a bad situation. That said, it was Ronnies father and obviously his father had went through a tough time. Ronnie's love for his father may have been strong and we don't know all the details. I don't want to hold anything against Ronnie in that situation, but it obviously was difficult for Matt
I've thought back to this situation this week and realized it may well have shaped several of Painter's recruiting decisions since then when faced with a promising kid that had overly involved parents or handlers.

My son is a member of the Evansville sports media. A fellow media colleague and long time Courier Press reporter says Lander is the best to come out of Evansville. High praise for someone that covered Calbert Cheaney. I think he will do fine.

#1 PG for 2021 that may reclassify to play in 2020

I'm a Hoosier fan, and have seen Lander many times as I live just outside of Evansville. Frankly never been impressed by him. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be what his ranking says, but won't be surprised if he turns out to be a bust.

Are you really trying to argue that Romeo and Lander are not good recruits for them? I don't know if Archie will do much with Lander, but it's kind of silly to insinuate that he isn't a good player to snag for them... You all are really silly sometimes.
Not saying anything. Other than Lil' Arch couldn't do much with Romeo. I'm guessing the same results with Lander. Comes from the same environment.

i guess that Lander's recruitment means Phinisee is sent to the bench. Else, a 5-star is not on the floor which is not necessarily attractive to future OaDs. I remember IU fans crowing here that Phin was a major recruiting failure for Pai ter and stolen out of Lafayette.

i guess that Lander's recruitment means Phinisee is sent to the bench. Else, a 5-star is not on the floor which is not necessarily attractive to future OaDs. I remember IU fans crowing here that Phin was a major recruiting failure for Pai ter and stolen out of Lafayette.

?

They'll play alongside each other. Every teams needs multiple ballhandlers on the floor in this day and age of college basketball. Durham is the one likely sent to the bench.

?

They'll play alongside each other. Every teams needs multiple ballhandlers on the floor in this day and age of college basketball. Durham is the one likely sent to the bench.
Curious about your take on this Lander kid. Have you watched him in his high school team or AAU...or both? If both, do you see any differences? Is he more suited as a primary ball handler and dribble drive type setting or can he work away from the ball as well. What do you see as his strength and weakness?

Curious about your take on this Lander kid. Have you watched him in his high school team or AAU...or both? If both, do you see any differences? Is he more suited as a primary ball handler and dribble drive type setting or can he work away from the ball as well. What do you see as his strength and weakness?
He has some comps to Carsen in that he can score at all 3 levels. Primarily a ball handler with some elite level hops - there are videos of his skills out there.

Not sure on weakness outside of adding muscle

He has some comps to Carsen in that he can score at all 3 levels. Primarily a ball handler with some elite level hops - there are videos of his skills out there.

Not sure on weakness outside of adding muscle
Carsens range quickly stood out as well as his quick release and his ability to score at the rim improved after his freshman year. Thanks, what I was hopeful to hear from the guy that said he coaches some around Indy is whether there is a difference between a more organized setting which may be high school versus AAU in if his play changes. I did get a kick out of someone that said he was the best to come out of Evansville. I suppose Calberts coach Jerrill Vandeventer (a Purdue grad) might have a different take. ;)

More of a ball-handler but has elite quickness and can beat you off the dribble. Needs to improve outside shooting and obviously bulk up, but he's too good of a talent to not play right away. He and Phinisee will play alongside each other more times than not.

More of a ball-handler but has elite quickness and can beat you off the dribble. Needs to improve outside shooting and obviously bulk up, but he's too good of a talent to not play right away. He and Phinisee will play alongside each other more times than not.
Have you seen him in both avenues I mentioned? IF so, any differences?

Have you seen him in both avenues I mentioned? IF so, any differences?

Yes to both. Coached against him in AAU the last couple years and have played in the same classic as Reitz when Khristian was a sophomore. He played with a pretty solid core of guys in AAU and was more of a facilitator although he could fill it up when needed. His high school team isn't that good and he's more of a one man show.

Depending on whether or not he re-classifies, I expect he'll play more off the ball at IU until he learns Archie's system and adjusts to the speed of the college game. Tough asking a 17-18 year old to be the primary ball-handler at that age.

He truly never wanted to be in Bloomington.

And a REALLY bad attitude...he was there only because he had to be somewhere.

That must be why he has visited Bloomington multiple times, including while recruits were making visits,and most recently on All Star weekend. Or why he purposely opened his suit jacket at the NBA draft to display the candy-stripes,then posted the pic on his twitter feed. And speaking of twitter, that must be why he not only follows and retweets former IU players (including ones he never played with or met) but also ANY prospect that posts about receiving an IU offer...Yeah Romeo HATES IU...

That must be why he has visited Bloomington multiple times, including while recruits were making visits,and most recently on All Star weekend. Or why he purposely opened his suit jacket at the NBA draft to display the candy-stripes,then posted the pic on his twitter feed. And speaking of twitter, that must be why he not only follows and retweets former IU players (including ones he never played with or met) but also ANY prospect that posts about receiving an IU offer...Yeah Romeo HATES IU...

Believe what you want.

Reactions: DAG10
Believe what you want.

There honestly is nothing that suggests Romeo didn't enjoy his time in Bloomington. Anything else is pure speculation that is unfounded. He was praised as being a good teammate by the coaching staff and his former teammates and even Juwan Morgan went out of his way in a rookie interview to talk about Romeo and the kind of teammate he was.

Yes to both. Coached against him in AAU the last couple years and have played in the same classic as Reitz when Khristian was a sophomore. He played with a pretty solid core of guys in AAU and was more of a facilitator although he could fill it up when needed. His high school team isn't that good and he's more of a one man show.

Depending on whether or not he re-classifies, I expect he'll play more off the ball at IU until he learns Archie's system and adjusts to the speed of the college game. Tough asking a 17-18 year old to be the primary ball-handler at that age.
Thanks. Phinisee did handle the ball last year as a freshman and Thompson has done the same at Purdue. Granted Thompson is not ball dominant and probably played more off in high school...the very little I've seen of him.

I look at it more from the angle of he was a kid from the area but didn’t grow up adoring IU. If the Lousiville Adidas thing didn’t happen he was going to Lousiville. He wasn’t the kid sitting with his family on a Thursday night screaming at the TV when they played Purdue. He didn’t have posters of IU players adorning his walls. I think it is the challenge of OAD kids in general - how much do they really care? You are there because you are required to be there because of the NBA’s rule.

Reactions: Poprudy
I look at it more from the angle of he was a kid from the area but didn’t grow up adoring IU. If the Lousiville Adidas thing didn’t happen he was going to Lousiville. He wasn’t the kid sitting with his family on a Thursday night screaming at the TV when they played Purdue. He didn’t have posters of IU players adorning his walls. I think it is the challenge of OAD kids in general - how much do they really care? You are there because you are required to be there because of the NBA’s rule.

That may be true as we know he grew up a Louisville fan, but that doesn't mean in any way he didn't enjoy his time in Bloomington.

All a facade...

I remember when asked in an interview before the Purdue game about the rivalry and he mentioned that the only things he really knew about IU before he went there was that Bob Knight coached there and Isaiah Thomas had played there...that he was a Louisville fan...and, that he did not know much about the rivalry as he was far more knowledgeable of the Louisville/UK rivalry.

He took visits because his Dad was getting $ from Adidas...like say, he went there merely because he had to go somewhere...it had NOTHING to do with Archie, and, very little, if anything to do with the actual program...and, had Pitino not been fired at Louisville, he never would have gone there.

Ancient history and irrelevant...

Last edited:
That may be true as we know he grew up a Louisville fan, but that doesn't mean in any way he didn't enjoy his time in Bloomington.
Yeah, he always looked SO happy...especially when he literally quit playing before the season ended.

That kid could not have been more disinterested in being there, and, could not get out of there fast enough...again, he was there only because he had to be somewhere.

Reactions: Poprudy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT