ADVERTISEMENT

John McCain is calling for an Ebola Czar?

TheCainer

All-American
Sep 23, 2003
Maybe this should have been grouped in with my other topic.

If it wasn't such a serious topic, this might be funny.

Link

My point was with all of the complaints that were raised by the GOP about Obama naming Czars in the first place. In fact, IIRC, McCain was one of his main critics:

Obama has more czars than the Romanovs - who ruled Russia for 3 centuries. Romanovs 18, cyberczar makes 20.- John McCain (@SenJohnMcCain) May 30, 2009[/QUOTE]

…Jack Kingston…
Pence's call came after Rep. Jack Kingston (R-Ga.) introduced legislation in July that would effectively end the president's power to appoint special advisers.

Kingston, who has compiled a list of 34 Obama czars, said transparency is the issue. "These guys don't get vetted," he said in an interview. "They have staff and offices and immense responsibility. All that needs to come before Congress."

…Frank Wolf…
"The American people have a right to know who is advising the president and whether they have been thoroughly vetted," Wolf wrote.In addition to writing the president, Wolf is cosponsoring legislation that would prohibit the president from appointing high-ranking officials without going through the Senate's confirmation process. The Czar Accountability and Reform Act (H.R. 3226) also would eliminate funding for czars who hold senior policy-making positions who carry out the same functions as officials who have been confirmed by the Senate.

… and Jerry Moran.
Congressman Jerry Moran recently introduced H. Res. 778 - a resolution to formally express Congress' opposition to the "czar" appointment process while calling for the President to cease all "czar" appointments. Moran also sponsored H.R. 3226, the Czar Accountability and Reform Act of 2009, to prohibit paying the salary of a "czar" that has not been confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

"The Obama Administration's excessive ‘czar' appointments exemplify the ever-expanding federal bureaucracy and big government that Kansans and Americans have grown tired of," Moran said. "The increasing use of unconfirmed government officials is irresponsible - it is time Congress stops the executive branch from abusing this flawed appointment process. I have introduced this resolution to condemn the increased use of unconfirmed government officials and heads of agencies."

The proximate cause for this 2009 "czar" debate was to bank follow-up points off the resignation of Van Jones, the White House's "green jobs czar" who was discovered to have signed a 9/11 truthers' petition years earlier. If there had been a more thorough Senate vetting process, the argument went, the public would have known much earlier that Van Jones had signed some document in 2004 unrelated to clean energy jobs. This radical Alinsky-ite leftist monstrosity, Van Jones, would go on to co-host a CNN jibber-jabber show with Newt Gingrich.

Hypocrisy, schmypocrisy, though. They want a "czar" now? They want an administration point-person coordinating the response? That's reasonable. So reasonable, in fact, that there already is such a person. Lisa Monaco is the No, really.)

What's the problem with Lisa Monaco? Not a big enough name for Frank Wolf, apparently. Wolf, their letter, Wolf and Moran throw out a few names with the appropriate "gravitas" to call people on the telephone: former Secretary of State Colin Powell, former Secretary of Defense Bob Gates, and former HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt. They want a well-known international figure to serve as czar. Has President Obama considered Ronald McDonald?

Late election seasons sure are whackadoodle times. Anything that serves the immediate political self-interest goes. It is October and we have Republicans demanding that the White House to appoint a new bureaucrat. The bureaucratic role they want is already there, but the person filling it not fancy enough. http://www.salon.com/2014/10/13/joh...is_ebola_czar_idea_is_particularly_ludicrous/

Jim Newell covers politics and media for Salon.

More Jim Newell.

About those czars

Your point was pretty terribly made since you didn't even make it, and the article you linked mentioned McCain's criticism of czars in passing. McCain seemed pretty serious about his desire for a federal leader to give proper attention to this issue, so I am not sure why you thought it was funny in the first place. I'll give you benefit of the doubt that your point was as you say, but it is pretty hard not to at least raise an eyebrow to your shifting goalposts.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I guess you don't see the irony in the GOP constantly criticizing Obama? First it was too many czars and then it was because he hadn't named one for the ebola problem. On top of that they filibustered his Surgeon General nomination. Seems pretty plain to me and I don't see any shifting goalposts.

The GOP has constantly criticized Obama for his actions and his inactions. The man can't do anything right in their eyes. I wish they would just get out of the way for once instead of running constant interference. Surely you can see that.

first off, no one has filibustered his SG pick; hasn't happened

Second, the biggest reason his SG pick has not even gotten a sniff of a confirmation hearing is that he is completely unqualified for the position--unless, I suppose, you want to count his experience as a co-founder of "Doctors for Obama." Sure Republicans oppose him. But he doesn't have enough support from Democrats to be confirmed, despite the fact that the Democrats have 55 Senate seats right now--more than enough to no only prevent a filibuster (under the new rules the Democrats instituted) but also for confirmation. Trouble is, not all 55 support a 36 year old guy with little relevant experience for the job...well, at least he is a doctor.

Now, Obama has put someone with no medical experience whatsoever into the role of "ebola czar." That ain't leadership.

This post was edited on 10/17 10:30 PM by Noodle

Re: first off, no one has filibustered his SG pick; hasn't happened

Originally posted by Noodle:
Second, the biggest reason his SG pick has not even gotten a sniff of a confirmation hearing is that he is completely unqualified for the position--unless, I suppose, you want to count his experience as a co-founder of "Doctors for Obama." Sure Republicans oppose him. But he doesn't have enough support from Democrats to be confirmed, despite the fact that the Democrats have 55 Senate seats right now--more than enough to no only prevent a filibuster (under the new rules the Democrats instituted) but also for confirmation. Trouble is, not all 55 support a 36 year old guy with little relevant experience for the job...well, at least he is a doctor.

Now, Obama has put someone with no medical experience whatsoever into the role of "ebola czar." That ain't leadership.

This post was edited on 10/17 10:30 PM by Noodle
On the SG, yes the guy is young and I am biased since he is an alum of my medical school. So yes I am okay with him.

Even as a democrat, I have to disagree with Obama's choice for Ebola czar. Again, it is possible I am biased because I am an MD. But I would hope there has to be at least one guy in this whole country with strong management track record, good PR skills and a public health background. Why get a guy with no medical experience?

Originally posted by TheCainer:

The GOP has constantly criticized Obama for his actions and his inactions. The man can't do anything right in their eyes. I wish they would just get out of the way for once instead of running constant interference.
Welcome to the last two years of the Bush presidency. No tears being shed over here for you now.

Just like the Democrats thought that it was their job to interfere with Bush's policies which they saw as damaging, so it is with Republicans now. It goes both ways, so please don't complain about it now!

Re: first off, no one has filibustered his SG pick; hasn't happened

It looks like you are correct in that he wasn't filibustered. Mistakenly I had assumed so after I had read that Rand Paul had intended to put a stay, or whatever the Senate calls it these days, on his nomination and my mistaken belief that the new Senate rules only applied to judicial nominations and not executive appointees. My mistake.

As far as his lack of support from democratic senators though, that, it would seem to be is more in line with his anti-assault rifle statement which is a little harder to defend from a purple state democrat, given the NRA's determination to oppose any candidate who comes out against any kind of new gun regulation. Maybe we can partially blame the SCOTUS's decision that money is free speech and can be used in any amount to oppose any free speech with which we disagree with. But that is probably a topic for another discussion.

Anyway, it would seem that Dr. Vivek Murthy was highly thought of by several people and organizations, including former President Clinton's and President Bush's (Jr.) surgeon general Dr. David Satcher, to become our new surgeon general, in spite of his political affiliations. In fact, the list of his supporters are listed here:

Washington, D.C., March 3, 2014 -[/B] Leading public health experts and organizations - including American Public Health Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, Trust for America's Health (TFAH), and many others - support Dr. Vivek Murthy becoming the next surgeon general.
Dr. David Satcher, surgeon general under Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, wrote, in his letter of support: "Dr. Murthy's impressive track record of accomplishments as an innovative and well-respected thought leader in health care will prove to be invaluable to the American people."
"I have seen Dr. Murthy's excellent work firsthand. He is highly qualified to be the next surgeon general and to lead the Commissioned Corps into a new era, ," said Jeffrey Levi, PhD, executive director of TFAH and chair of the Advisory Group on Prevention, Health Promotion, and Integrative and Public Health.
"As a physician and a public health leader, Dr. Murthy understands that improving the health of Americans requires a close partnership between what happens in the clinic and what happens in our communities. That kind of leadership is what the country needs to ensure everyone can be as happy, healthy and productive as they choose to be," continued Levi.
TFAH joins many other public health leaders and organizations in supporting the nomination of Dr. Murthy, including:Jeffrey R. Balser, MD, PhD, Vice Chancellor of Health Affairs, Vanderbilt University Medical CenterThomas Barker, Foley Hoag LLP, and former Counselor to the Secretary of Health and Human ServicesCedric Bright, MD, FACS, 112th President of the National Medical Association and Director, Special Programs Office, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of MedicineJeffrey P. Copland, MD, MPH, Vice President for Global Health, Emory University, and former Director of the Centers for Control and PreventionScott Corlew, MD, MPH, Chief Medical Officer, Saint Thomas Rutherford HospitalAndrew Davidoff, MD, Surgeon in Chief, St. Jude Children's Research HospitalVictor J. Dzau, MD, Chancellor for Health Affairs and President and CEO, Duke University Medical Center and Health System, and President-elect of the Institute of MedicineTrevor Fetter, President and CEO, Tenet Healthcare CorporationJonathan E. Fielding, MD, MPH, MBA, Director and Health Officer, Los Angeles Department of Public HealthSamuel R. Nussbaum, MD, Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, WellPoint Bhaskar N. Rao, MD, FACS, St. Jude Children's Research HospitalJames Roosevelt, Jr., CEO, Tufts Health PlanDavid Satcher, MD, PhD, 16th Surgeon General of the United StatesEric H. Schultz, President and CEO, Harvard Pilgrim HealthCareNirav R. Shah, MD, MPH, Commissioner of Health, New York State Department of HealthKimberlydawn Wisdom, MD, MS, Senior Vice President, Henry Ford Health SystemAmerican Academy of Family PhysiciansAmerican Academy of PediatricsAmerican Association of Physicians of Indian OriginAmerican Cancer SocietyAmerican College of PhysiciansAmerican College of Sports MedicineAmerican Diabetes AssociationAmerican Heart AssociationAmerican Hospital AssociationAmerican Medical Women's AssociationAmerican Public Health AssociationAssociated Industries of MassachusettsBrigham and Women's HospitalFederation of American HospitalsHealth & Disability AdvocatesMarch of Dimes FoundationNational Center for Disaster PreparednessThe New England CouncilNew Hampshire Public Health AssociationPartners Healthcare.
A full account of letters from public health leaders in support for Dr. Murthy can be found here.

Now I realize this list is not a complete list of possible supporters or detractors, but maybe you have a list of his un-qualifications as you state above, besides again, his political affiliations? Even Fox News' Steve Doocy has stated regarding his nomination that:

DOOCY: You would normally think that in something like this, the Surgeon General would be in charge, but right now at this point oddly, the United States of America does not have a Surgeon General. His nomination is tied up in politics.

He seems to be pretty highly regarded, IMO.

Supporters of Dr. Murthy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT